PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bengals release QB Andy Dalton

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're going to bring in someone, bring in Cam who is a much better QB and patsfans.com will run a lot faster because certain fans will quit watching the team for some reason.
Why does everyone want the corpse of Cam Newton? Yes he USED TO BE a good quarterback. THREE YEARS AGO he was a good quarterback. And you have to stretch the word "good" pretty far to make that true because he was maddeningly inconsistent and his Panthers teams were the most unpredictable/undependable squad in the entire history of the NFL.

Right now you aren't even getting a shell of his former self, just a guy with a surgically salvaged arm who can run a little but not like he used to, and never had the skill or the smarts to succeed without an elite arm.

Like I said, I'd happily sign Newton as a 3rd string RB, asking for a big league full time QB out of the guy is just begging for trouble. It's the last thing Bill Belichick would actually do. He might or might not sign Dalton, the man isn't touching Newton with a 14 1/2 foot pole.

He’s a buffoon but I agree that if the choice is between Newton and Dalton I would take Newton, his upside is high enough to get you to a SB, I don’t want Dalton under any circumstances.
I think this post is 5 years old. Newton is a shell of his former self. He doesn’t want to run, can’t take the beating if running anymore and as a pocket passer he makes a good runner.

I think this post is 5 years old. Newton is a shell of his former self. He doesn’t want to run, can’t take the beating if running anymore and as a pocket passer he makes a good runner.
I know, right? It's like some posters are stuck in a time warp posting from 6 years ago.

I would honestly rather have Jacoby Brissett than Cam Newton right now. Brissett was looking solid before the knee injury, and Newton is cooked.

"The popular guess is the Patriots but Dalton is probably too good of a player for the Pats this year. Remember, this is the "Bill Belichick is the Smartest Man In the World And Will Try To Win With No Talent" 2020 Tour. If you go to New England, you know you're bad." :whistle:

Andy Dalton is Too Good for New England | FOX Sports Radio | The Jason Smith Show with Mike Harmon
So funny. Pretty much every top-tier franchise — Colts, Packers, Ravens, Broncos, Steelers — has gone through at last one restocking year after a winning cycle the past 15 years, due to losing key players. I don't recall any of this wise-assery about them trying to prove how smart they are. And to think people who come up with this are "essential workers."

(For the record - -no thanks on Dalton, Newton, whoever. But not for this ridiculous spin reason).

Why does everyone want the corpse of Cam Newton? Yes he USED TO BE a good quarterback. THREE YEARS AGO he was a good quarterback. And you have to stretch the word "good" pretty far to make that true because he was maddeningly inconsistent and his Panthers teams were the most unpredictable/undependable squad in the entire history of the NFL.

Right now you aren't even getting a shell of his former self, just a guy with a surgically salvaged arm who can run a little but not like he used to, and never had the skill or the smarts to succeed without an elite arm.

Like I said, I'd happily sign Newton as a 3rd string RB, asking for a big league full time QB out of the guy is just begging for trouble. It's the last thing Bill Belichick would actually do. He might or might not sign Dalton, the man isn't touching Newton with a 14 1/2 foot pole.

1. Look at our options Dalton hasn’t been good for 3 years either and Stidham is unproven

2. Cam objectively has the highest confirmed ceiling of our options

3. For an offense that has serious issues, Cam himself is a weapon that defenses have to gameplan around and respect. He can extend plays and create opportunities. Dalton can’t and Stidham is an unknown

4. Dalton is objectively trash in the post season, Cam has played at a very high level in the post season

The ideal option is in Tampa Bay. But with what we actually have to choose from, Cam is the safer bet, with the better track record, who can add more, and has the highest ceiling

1. Look at our options Dalton hasn’t been good for 3 years either and Stidham is unproven

3. For an offense that has serious issues, Cam himself is a weapon that defenses have to gameplan around and respect. He can extend plays and create opportunities. Dalton can’t and Stidham is an unknown

4. Dalton is objectively trash in the post season, Cam has played at a very high level in the post season

Sub .500 (3-4) in the post season and an 87.7 passer rating. Had a poor Super Bowl game. Not sure I’d call that “very high level”

The ideal option is in Tampa Bay. But with what we actually have to choose from, Cam is the safer bet, with the better track record, who can add more, and has the highest ceiling

I prefer to go with the unproven guy than to sign that we know suck.

Dalton and Newton are both done.

I know, right? It's like some posters are stuck in a time warp posting from 6 years ago.

I would honestly rather have Jacoby Brissett than Cam Newton right now. Brissett was looking solid before the knee injury, and Newton is cooked.
This is an insane take lol.

2018. A single season ago. Cam had

1. his most completions in a season ever

2. his best completion percentage in a season by a lot.

3. His 2nd highest passer rating of his career

4. Tied for 2nd highest season for TD’s in his career

5. A pretty average year for INT’s

6. He still rushed for nearly 500 yards.

His biggest knock was that he slowed down marginally as a runner but he made up for it by passing more efficiently than ever

This was the season before last. Last season he only played 2 games.

Sorry I ran the numbers, they don’t check out

Sub .500 (3-4) in the post season and an 87.7 passer rating. Had a poor Super Bowl game. Not sure I’d call that “very high level”
1. Dalton has never won a post season game
2. Stidham has never played a posy season game
3. Cam player out of his mind in the games leading up to that SB and he lost to the same world class defense that Brady lost to. Playing the same defense, they were both in the 40’s in completion percentage (Cam had 43 to Brady’s 48), Brady had 45 more yards, Cam had 1 INT, Brady had 1 TD and 2INT, and Cam had a 55 passer rating to Brady’s 56

So that’s kind of a crap argument. He played out of his mind all year, he had a 108 and 117 passer rating in the two games prior and played an all time defense and lost to them them only playing slightly worse than the GOAT who also lost to that same all time defense.

And again we are comparing him to a man who never won a playoff game and is objectively worse than Cam when it comes to playoffs and a kid who hasn’t even seen a playoff game.

Cam is easily the best option. Stidhman MIGHT prove better, but it would be going against convention and it’s not something you can just expect. It’s just as likely he’s got garbage

I prefer to go with the unproven guy than to sign that we know suck.

Dalton and Newton are both done.
I disagree that Cam’s done. The last time he played a full season (a year ago) he had arguably his best year as a passer (certainly 2nd best) and was still a proficient runner.

However I’m fine with wanting to stick with the unknown. But it’s more likely than not he’s a lesser option than Cam.

The benefit to Stidham is that if he’s good you hit the jackpot and have him on a rookie contact and he’ll be here for years and if he sucks you get to tank.

If it’s about trying to win. Cam’s easily the preferred option

If we're going to bring in someone, bring in Cam who is a much better QB and patsfans.com will run a lot faster because certain fans will quit watching the team for some reason.

I tend to agree, but there is a major difference. Dalton could come and compete, being comfortable as a backup if he is beaten out by Stidham. Cam would be brought in to start as long as he is healthy.

This is an insane take lol.

2018. A single season ago. Cam had

1. his most completions in a season ever

2. his best completion percentage in a season by a lot.

3. His 2nd highest passer rating of his career

4. Tied for 2nd highest season for TD’s in his career

5. A pretty average year for INT’s

6. He still rushed for nearly 500 yards.

His biggest knock was that he slowed down marginally as a runner but he made up for it by passing more efficiently than ever

This was the season before last. Last season he only played 2 games.

Sorry I ran the numbers, they don’t check out
Newton was never an accurate passer. Now, his shoulder is a nightmare.
Change in Cam Newton's arm strength 'night and day' from 2018

Newton was never an accurate passer. Now, his shoulder is a nightmare.
Change in Cam Newton's arm strength 'night and day' from 2018

2018 was the last full season he played.....

In fact.....

Your source is dated August 16th 2019. So this article is entirely based off pre season training camp. So you are saying this off information you yourself didn’t even see and it was coming off a surgery recover where they ended up IR’ing him two games in the season because he wasn’t fully healed.

Jesus man

Dalton thread....

Um I look at his price.. like Newton and go ..

What other productive player (or 2) can we get for that money while we gear up for game manager QB position.

( Kinda like Brady's first year... But cant say that... Cuz stidy is not Brady... :D)

Also.. mcD is not Weis. We shall see. :cool:

Last edited:
Newton is a hard pass. Dalton is just a pass, but there's been so much smoke around him, that I think there may be something to it. I'd rather see how the kid does.

#teamstid
Sounds like you’re saying he’s been toking with his old teammate the Flash?

2018 was the last full season he played.....

In fact.....

Your source is dated August 16th 2019. So this article is entirely based off pre season training camp. So you are saying this off information you yourself didn’t even see and it was coming off a surgery recover where they ended up IR’ing him two games in the season because he wasn’t fully healed.

Jesus man
I didn't look at the dates. Although, its common knowledge that Cam has shoulder issues and not only isn't the player he once was but its debatable if he can make the throws.

I didn't look at the dates. Although, its common knowledge that Cam has shoulder issues and not only isn't the player he once was but its debatable if he can make the throws.
He had surgery and was recovering to the point where the team IR’d him.

Cam right before the surgery had his 2nd best year. Dalton has 3 mediocre years. The last time Dalton was good his best receiver was Green. Dalton has never won a playoff game. Cam has. Dalton has played awful in the playoffs. Cam has some dominant playoff games under his belt. Dalton can’t extend plays. Cam can. Dalton only has played well with strong offensive talent. Cam has played well with mediocre offensive talent. Cam has hit elite levels multiple times in his career. Dalton is habitually average, his best was a bit above average and he’s been below average to poor the last 3 years.

Dalton vs Cam is a no brainer. The only question is if you want to role the dice on Stidham who is an unknown

People who are saying don’t sign him probably don’t realize he lead the bengals to the playoffs in 5 out of his 9 seasons, with 5, 9+ win seasons.

This is while being in a tough AFC north division. Of course we know Dalton has no playoffs wins, but that’s just as much on Marvin Lewis.

They were also on the brink of beating the Steelers in a playoff game, until burfict decided to head shot Antonio Brown and give the Steelers a 1st down. That type of idiocy doesn’t happen here.

Andy Dalton should definitely be signed to compete with Stidham. You don’t just hand the keys to a 4th round second year QB in April. Competition is needed.

This is a guy who shrinks in big games.

Playoffs Stats for Andy Dalton: 0-4 in the playoffs, 1TD 6INTs, QBR of 57.8. This is not a guy who will suddenly improve - he'll be 33 in October.

He hasn't made the playoffs since 2014.

Name one big win that you can associate with Andy Dalton.

I'd much rather see Belichick and Josh McDaniels work with Cam Newton than Andy Dalton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes