PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bengals release QB Andy Dalton

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who are saying don’t sign him probably don’t realize he lead the bengals to the playoffs in 5 out of his 9 seasons, with 5, 9+ win seasons.

This is while being in a tough AFC north division. Of course we know Dalton has no playoffs wins, but that’s just as much on Marvin Lewis.

They were also on the brink of beating the Steelers in a playoff game, until burfict decided to head shot Antonio Brown and give the Steelers a 1st down. That type of idiocy doesn’t happen here.

Andy Dalton should definitely be signed to compete with Stidham. You don’t just hand the keys to a 4th round second year QB in April. Competition is needed.

I'm pretty sure that's not it.

For me, Dalton is an average QB in this league. For an average quarterback to get CIN to the playoffs as often as he has is really heroic.

An average QB is enough for us to be competitive for the playoffs, with the opportunity to be much better in 2021 and 2022 as the youngsters take over, and we get to use a lot of cap room.

I do NOT think that Stidham is better than Dalton (or Cam). However, if he is, then he can beat out the veteran this year or next. In the meantime, we'll have an average QB as our minimum, a major step forward from where we are now.
Bill may feel Stidham is not only better than those guys but a better fit for our offense this year.

Exactly. NFWIH I would overpay for Dalton but with a full TC, preseason, etc Dalton is a more talented QB than Hoyer and I believe would bring more playmaking to the offense.

If he agrees to something in the $3m range, I think its needs consideration.

As is often the case, our posters ideas of what money a veteran should accept are downright silly. At $3M, Dalton won't even answer the phone. he'd just play of the jags, or the chargers or even (much more exciting) for Dallas.

Report: Patriots among teams interested in Andy Dalton
Hannable-Ryan_775x425.jpg

RYAN HANNABLE
APRIL 30, 2020 - 11:13 AM
Football

Now that Andy Dalton has been released by the Bengals, he is free to sign with any other team.

Naturally, one of the teams being mentioned is the Patriots, and there may be some real interest.

According to the Cincinnati Enquirer’s Tyler Dragon, the Patriots and Jaguars are among the teams interested in the veteran QB.

As of now, the Patriots have Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer as the only real starting options, but signing Dalton could give Stidham another year to develop and the team could view Dalton as an upgrade over Hoyer.

With just over $1 million in cap space, the Patriots would need to make some financial moves to free up some money to sign him.

Stay tuned...

If salary cap was no way involved, you sign Dalton for the competition. If he turns out to be the best guy, then you can still get a good 5-7 yrs out of him. Problem is, the salary cap has to be taken into consideration, and Dalton no doubt wants to make his. He won’t be coming here. I see Jags, posssssibly LAC’s, and if things wanna get really juicy, Jerruh could bring him on board. If I’m Dalton, I wouldn’t mind taking a one year discount to have a legitimate chance at being the starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys.

I think that this is the reality. Dalton doesn't need a minimal contract from the patriots to backup Belichick's future starters. Dalton should have other choices. The OPEN question is whether Belichick wants him, Cam, or whether he wants to consider to consider Stidham his starter with no real backup or competition.

Patriots are among the teams interested in him. Bill’s plan to make the team so uncompetitive that they’ll get the #1 overall pick for Lawrence seems to be coming together. Absolutely diabolical.

Anytime you can take Andy Dalton over Tom Brady, you have to make that move.

If Dalton is our day one starter I am out as a fan for this season. Too painful to watch after 20 years of the GOAT.

Report: Patriots among teams interested in Andy Dalton
Hannable-Ryan_775x425.jpg

RYAN HANNABLE
APRIL 30, 2020 - 11:13 AM
Football

Now that Andy Dalton has been released by the Bengals, he is free to sign with any other team.

Naturally, one of the teams being mentioned is the Patriots, and there may be some real interest.

According to the Cincinnati Enquirer’s Tyler Dragon, the Patriots and Jaguars are among the teams interested in the veteran QB.

As of now, the Patriots have Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer as the only real starting options, but signing Dalton could give Stidham another year to develop and the team could view Dalton as an upgrade over Hoyer.

With just over $1 million in cap space, the Patriots would need to make some financial moves to free up some money to sign him.

Stay tuned...

Goodbye Thuney?

If Dalton is our day one starter I am out as a fan for this season. Too painful to watch after 20 years of the GOAT.
It would be for the greater good. Dalton with nothing of note to throw to outside of Edelman and maybe one of Harry or Meyers? That’s an offense so bad that the defense will eventually get gassed in every contest. Lawrence here we come.

Goodbye Thuney?
Yes, paying $15M for Thuney has never made sense. However, as has been the case from the beginning, if Thuney wants a long term contract form the patriots, he can have one (or he can wait for free agency to continue his $15M a year compensation).
======
We COULD extend Thuney AND sign Dalton (or Cam) with the cap savings.

We have no idea what $ Dalton would get/want.

If Stidham goes on IR early in the year, who would do a better job? Hoyer or Dalton?

I can't imagine him getting more than Jameis. Jameis threw for a lot of yards (and pick 6s) which was still better than being benched mid season for the worst team in football.

I could see the Pats signing Cam and Dalton then proceeding to send an email to the agents of Stiddy Hoyer Ginger Cam and the two UDFA's saying "Welcome to the Thunderdome b*tch!"

On second thought that would sound better with a cameo from Rick Sanchez.

This though..

Chatham is just getting himself warmed up to praise the move on Twitter... right before he pens a letter to BB to ask him for a vacuum-sealed bag of his farts to inhale.

Chatham is just getting himself warmed up to praise the move on Twitter... right before he pens a letter to BB to ask him for a vacuum-sealed bag of his farts to inhale.
Lol!

I don't think Dalton would be much worse (if worse at all) than first year starter Stidham, so why would it be any more painful than watching Stidham?

Now its 10pm.
That is around the time Saint Julian’s, Malta starts to get exciting... who knows ? Some posters here think Brady’s going on the most epic tear in the history of the League. With Tampa. And Arians. And year removed Gronk.

This though..

Maybe they thought they could Get Dalton to stay on board and mentor Burrow.
Either they realized they couldn't.
Or they told Dalton its not a competition we are going with Burrow no matter how good you look.
Alot of things could of been in play.

As is often the case, our posters ideas of what money a veteran should accept are downright silly. At $3M, Dalton won't even answer the phone. he'd just play of the jags, or the chargers or even (much more exciting) for Dallas.
Well since that's what the NEP would be prepared to most like offer, see ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST