PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bengals release QB Andy Dalton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't sleep on J'Mar Smith. I think he fell off the draft boards because of his 2 game suspension which came at the worst time for his team.

But he owned up to it like a man, and took responsibility. That speaks to his character.

I really like him- great pocket movement, a gun of an arm, and more importantly, great anticipation. He throws receivers open, and you know how much that's needed at the NFL level.
He is an intriguing prospect.

The last thing you want is a QB controversy going on. If BB thinks Stidham is the guy then stick with him.

People who are saying don’t sign him probably don’t realize he lead the bengals to the playoffs in 5 out of his 9 seasons, with 5, 9+ win seasons.

Many folks don't care. With Stidham, either Belichick is a genius with his 4th rounder and we fight for the playoffs or we get a very high draft pick. Trying for the highest expected number of wins is not important for many.

Our team is better than Dalton has had in CIN, with much better coaching. The playoffs are just not enough for many posters.

The last thing you want is a QB controversy going on. If BB thinks Stidham is the guy then stick with him.
competition is good
handing players positions on the depth chart is NOT good

I mean, if I'm signing a quarterback with the anticipation they'll start next year, give me Cam over Dalton every single time. If I'm not, I don't see what Dalton gives you over Hoyer, both are pocket passing quarterbacks who add no extra dimensions to an offense and are perfectly capable of being below-average starters that any team will be trying to replace. I think Dalton and Hoyer could both carry the team, give Belichick and the defense, to a divisional title or wild card spot, but I think they'll have very little chance against better teams, which has basically been the Dalton/Hoyer experience over their careers.

We all have our judgements. I don't think that Hoyer is even close to Dalton as a player.

We have no idea what $ Dalton would get/want.

If Stidham goes on IR early in the year, who would do a better job? Hoyer or Dalton?

I would expect that Dalton would be better at QB than Hoyer, once he learns the system.

But if Stidham doesn't go on IR and say he becomes the starter, who is potentially better at helping him learn the system? Hoyer, easily, since he knows it inside and out. The Cincinnati system is totally different.

So I guess it depends on what you prioritize, the better injury replacement or the more helpful voice in the locker room and practice field.

I would stick with Hoyer. If the money were the same, though, it's close.

Last edited:
More than likely Dalton goes to the Jags. Not sure he gets a starting job anywhere. He will most likely get what Winston got from the Saints.

I can't imagine Bill signing him now after not getting any FA QB and not taking a QB in the draft.

I would rather go 3-13 under Jarrett Stidham than 9-7 under Dalton this year. If Stidham is lightning in a bottle and actually wins right away, bonus! But Dalton has no upside.
Yup, this is the view of many pats fans, and is the view of the patriots NEVER.

Dalton is far better. Hoyer’s only advantage is that he knows the system.

More than likely Dalton goes to the Jags. Not sure he gets a starting job anywhere. He will most likely get what Winston got from the Saints.

I can't imagine Bill signing him now after not getting any FA QB and not taking a QB in the draft.
Maybe he was waiting on Dalton to be released or Cam to bring his price down?

We all have our judgements. I don't think that Hoyer is even close to Dalton as a player.

That's fair. Dalton's definitely been better over the course of his career.

Think the major issue with Cam signing anywhere is clearing him physically right now.

Why not? For months, many have been discussing that Cam and Dalton were the best options for the patriots (or possibly Rosen). Nothing has changed.

We can't afford either one as a starter. We could at back up money. When BB signed DMac and tagged Thuney I think he basically told us he is all set with his QB room.

competition is good
handing players positions on the depth chart is NOT good

Yeah I know but when you start slow and have Brady it's one thing, but doing the same with Stidham will have the "experts" and pseudo-fans out in force calling for his head.

I would expect that Dalton would be better.

But if Stidham doesn't go on IR and say he becomes the starter, who is potentially better at helping him learn the system? Hoyer, easily, since he knows it inside and out. The Cincinnati system is totally different.

So I guess it depends on what you prioritize, the better injury replacement or the more helpful voice in the locker room and practice field.

I would stick with Hoyer. If the money were the same, though, it's close.
Exactly. NFWIH I would overpay for Dalton but with a full TC, preseason, etc Dalton is a more talented QB than Hoyer and I believe would bring more playmaking to the offense.

If he agrees to something in the $3m range, I think its needs consideration.

For me, Dalton is an average QB in this league. For an average quarterback to get CIN to the playoffs as often as he has is really heroic.

An average QB is enough for us to be competitive for the playoffs, with the opportunity to be much better in 2021 and 2022 as the youngsters take over, and we get to use a lot of cap room.

I do NOT think that Stidham is better than Dalton (or Cam). However, if he is, then he can beat out the veteran this year or next. In the meantime, we'll have an average QB as our minimum, a major step forward from where we are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST