PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Roethlisberger: Not Fair

It wasn't only taunting. It was a helmet to helmet hit. Besides.... as a Pats fan, zero ****s given. :)

Looked like incidental contact on the helmet on a clean block. JSS’s head was turned to the left when the hit was made.

There was nothing incidental in it, and like someone else here said, the fact he stood over him shows it was premeditated. He gave zero ****s about the way he managed to hit him.

He made a big hit - that’s why he was taunting, not because he wanted hit him with his helmet. As i said, his head was turned to the left when the hit was made.

It was a bad hit, but I didn’t think it warranted a suspension either. And this is even looking through Steelers Disdain glasses.

Its because the victim was Burfict. Any random Bengal, that's probably not a suspension. But given Burfict's history with PIT and the fact that Juju taunted Burfict one can reasonably make it out as a retaliation aka actual bounty gate.

I agree, JuJu should be fined but not suspended for that one.

I agree, JuJu should be fined but not suspended for that one.

It was pre mediatated, at least in my opinion. Why? Not just because it was Burfict, but because Juju stood over him like a tough guy knowing full well who he layed out with an illegal hit.

The hit itself wasn't enough to warrant a suspension, but thanks to Juju's stupidity by basically telling the whole world he was exacting revenge for past hits by Burfict to PIT players he has 1 game to show for it.

Compare that with Gronk's who was out of frustration (but certainly doesnt make it acceptable) and I think the suspensions are fair.

AJ Green should have gotten 1 game IMO for being the initiator of his fight with Jalen Ramsey, and Talib should've gotten 2 games since his chain snatching dates back to last year, and Crabtree should've gotten 1 or 2 as he sucker punched Chris Harris Jr before Talib retaliated.

Both should've just been fines

It’s the same as in one game for each. But financially not the same impact to the player. I don’t think you can say they were treated the same.

It was a bad hit, but I didn’t think it warranted a suspension either. And this is even looking through Steelers Disdain glasses.

Yeah in the past. But now with the concussions, the league is getting tough on head shots. And plus there was an emphasis on the blindside blocks. So it's not surprising this season they're doling out suspensions for it. I keep thinking if Gronk had hit him anywhere not near his head and neck area they would have just given Gronk a fine. It's because of concussions and CTE. And we're extra lucky the Bengals squealers game happened on MNF and that they ruled on Gronk's suspension quickly. Because otherwise I'm sure they would have given Gronk 2 games, and schuster 1 game.

At that time there was no point of emphasis to eliminate head contact on blindside blocks. Floyd would have been flagged this season for his hit, if there was contact to the head. I'd have to see the Floyd hit to see it there was head contact.

I don't understand though. Aren't Floyd and Lippett both going in roughly the same direction, shouldn't that be a legal hit even this season?

It wasn't only taunting. It was a helmet to helmet hit. Besides.... as a Pats fan, zero ****s given. :)
Helmet to helmet hits when blocking are not illegal.

Floyd did absolutely nothing wrong. Point of emphasis does t mean change the rule to something it isn’t.
At that time there was no point of emphasis to eliminate head contact on blindside blocks. Floyd would have been flagged this season for his hit, if there was contact to the head. I'd have to see the Floyd hit to see it there was head contact.

I personally had no issue with JuJu's hit but the league modified the rule. He made contact with the helmet and it is what it is.

I do wonder if it would have only been a fine if he had not taunted. IMO that sealed his fate.

Ben does have an argument but I think a 2 game suspension for a 1st time offender like Gronk would have been excessive IMO but im a homer:p
No, they did not modify the rule. That is not what point of emphasis means.
If he didn’t taunt it would be hailed as the best hit of the week.
He would still be suspended though because the standard is now did he hit him too hard and if an injury occurs (or it looks like it hurt) the answer is yes.

Juju lined him up and launched himself (shoulder and side of his helmet) into the face mask of Burfict. His immediate celebration pretty clearly indicates that he saw it coming, knew who it was, and delighted in lighting him up. It was premeditated and not at all a spontaneous act, though it was a football play.
Yeah, but...

I am definitely watching the first Cinn-Pitt game next year, if only to see Burfict vs/ JuJu... JSS better keep his head on a swivel because you know that Vonteze is going to go after him.........

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back