PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick's record without Brady since the Brady era began

It's not BS.

Great coaches tweak and revamp to match their players.

Look at Jim Harbaugh. He built a playoff juggernaut that knocked the Pats out of the playoffs with Joe Flacco as his QB.

He didn't look for a Joe Flacco clone in the draft. He got a QB with potential then built an entire offense to match that.

Bill revamped the offense last year to match Cam's skills and did a good job bringing that team deft of talent to a 7-9 record.

You make your players you have work or you suck as a HC. And no I'm not saying Bill sucks as a HC because he made it work with Cam last year as they would have gone probably 9-7 if Cam didn't get COVID

John Harbaugh. And I wouldn't put him in the same class as Belichick or Walsh. He is a great head coach, but I don't think he is a HOF head coach. And Harbaugh doesn't have final say in personnel decisions like Belichick has. Ozzie Newsome does. Who knows if Harbaugh would have taken Jackson if it was his choice. And Harbaugh has run his team that the defense and the running game will win games and not put too much on the QB.

And the Pats didn't revamp their offense all that much last year. They dumbed it down for the most part. Overall, it was the same offense. They did add a RPO aspect to it, but that was because Newton was limited as a passer that they had to.

But Newton is different than I was talking about. I was talking about getting a QB and building the offense around him because he is your QB of the future. Newton was always a stopgap until Belichick found his own QB of the future. Between drafting Jones, reports he was at least testing the waters for a trade with Garoppolo (if not making a real push), and rumor interest in Kellen Mond, shows that he was interested in QBs that could run his offense and not getting a potential stud QB like Justin Fields and building the offense around him.

Last edited:
Why isn't this thread being moved to the Brady forum? Let's keep the same energy

This a thread about Belichick, not Brady. But as the OP, I wouldn't object to the mods moving it if they thought it was appropriate.

The 2008 Patriots, quarterbacked by Matt Cassel, finish with an 11-5 record and miss the playoffs:
"This is evidence that Bill Belichick isn't all that special of a coach".

The 2010 Chiefs, quarterbacked by Matt Cassel, finish with a 10-6 record and make the playoffs:
"This is evidence that the Chiefs have a darn good coach".

Whenever someone uses the "The Patriots couldn't get into the playoffs without Brady in 2008" argument, it is a clear tell that they probably have an irrational hate against Belichick because 2008 was a fluke. Before this year with 17 games, the odds were better that a team with a 9-7 record would make the playoffs than an 11-5 team would miss the playoffs. I think an 11-5 team misses the playoffs like every twenty years or so.

Whenever someone uses the "The Patriots couldn't get into the playoffs without Brady in 2008" argument, it is a clear tell that they probably have an irrational hate against Belichick because 2008 was a fluke. Before this year with 17 games, the odds were better that a team with a 9-7 record would make the playoffs than an 11-5 team would miss the playoffs. I think an 11-5 team misses the playoffs like every twenty years or so.
The 2008 team- with Tom was not getting out of the AFC.

The 2008 team- with Tom was not getting out of the AFC.
Oh yes they do. They beat the Colts who they barely lost to with Cassell. They beat the Steelers at home who has never beat Brady at Gillette. They sweep the Jets. That's 14-2 or 13-3 at worst. They maybe lose to the Ravens who we didn't know at the time was going to be the Pats worst nemesis in the AFC.

Oh yes they do. They beat the Colts who they barely lost to with Cassell. They beat the Steelers at home who has never beat Brady at Gillette. They sweep the Jets. That's 14-2 or 13-3 at worst. They maybe lose to the Ravens who we didn't know at the time was going to be the Pats worst nemesis in the AFC.
I don't agree. **** secondary. Ain't happening

This thread is trash and is getting the results the op intended. Worse part is the entire premise is based on a clown emailing Felger and Mazz. LMAO

I'm pretty certain Bill wouldn't want anyone dismissing his CLE years or 2000 or any time he spent as a HC just like none of us would want to have our former jobs and experiences, in which we learned a ton, dismissed.

This is how ridiculous this premise is, if you take away all those years, you also have to take away all the wins and he would never catch Shula. This is meaningless unadulterated fantasy.

This thread is trash and is getting the results the op intended. Worse part is the entire premise is based on a clown emailing Felger and Mazz. LMAO

I'm pretty certain Bill wouldn't want anyone dismissing his CLE years or 2000 or any time he spent as a HC just like none of us would want to have our former jobs and experiences, in which we learned a ton, dismissed.

This is how ridiculous this premise is, if you take away all those years, you also have to take away all the wins and he would never catch Shula. This is meaningless unadulterated fantasy.
I step away for a few hours and notice this thread has blown up even more than earlier today. I won't read all the pages as to why this argument has triggered the board.

****sticks on this board overrate the 08 team. It needs to stop.

You overrate the AFC that year. The 2008 Patriots were a near certain 13-win team with Brady. Maybe the worst Colts team of that era. 8-8 Chargers. Steelers weren’t as good as they were in most years either and still won the comference.

We can theoretically argue about what would have happened, but they were heavy favorites to win, and they had a healthy Moss and Welker. They weren't as good as the 2007 team, but they were good.

You overrate the AFC that year. The 2008 Patriots were a near certain 13-win team with Brady. Maybe the worst Colts team of that era. 8-8 Chargers. Steelers weren’t as good as they were in most years either and still won the comference.

We can theoretically argue about what would have happened, but they were heavy favorites to win, and they had a healthy Moss and Welker. They weren't as good as the 2007 team, but they were good.
I think fans underrate the Squealers. They were loaded.

Call the reg season record what you want it to be. It wouldn't matter.

What's Bill's Patriots HC record w/o Brady, JimmyG, Brissett, Cassell, Bledsoe, Newton, and Jones but only between Week 7 and 11 of 2021?

Perfect! Case closed.

Since the 21st century began, we have missed the playoffs in 2000, 2002, 2008 and 2020?

that is incredible when you think about how many teams would kill to have even half that success!

Since the 21st century began, we have missed the playoffs in 2000, 2002, 2008 and 2020?

that is incredible when you think about how many teams would kill to have even half that success!

21st century started in 2001

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back