PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick's 'prove it' time table.

LOL.

A response to the question of "So your problem is Bill the GM and not Bill the coach?" in a thread about the head coaching legacy is answered with "You say there was no talent on the team. Whose fault is that?"

smh
It's a simple question that can't be answered. The original poster said there was no talent on the team. Does Bill not pick the players?

That is how i see it with BB. Injuries of course can derail things, but after 5 years without Brady if we don't see the final 4, it more than fair to question the legacy of Bill as the 'GOAT'. How would you measure it though?

Let's hypothetically assume that the Patriots/Belichick do not meet those goals.

In that case what other coaches are above Belichick as the best ever, and why?

Oh come on...I think Bill is a great coach, but let's be consistent and not continue to move the goalposts. Most pundits and experts, and most fans, thought the Patriots would win 8-9 games or perhaps 10-11 if everything went right. I realize they lost some players due to opt-outs, but it's not like they had some devastating injury to their franchise QB or something to point to that would indicate they were much, much worse in talent than they appeared prior to the season.

Even after the Covid opt-outs, Vegas had them as an 8-9 win team on the over/under.

You'd be shocked if any other coach won 2 games? Ridiculous. Sorry. We can't heap praise that doesn't mesh with objective facts and retroactively change reality to fit a narrative. This was not a 1 win roster carried to 7 wins by mystical coaching and 5d chess strategies.
The offensive performance pre covid and post covid outbreak was drastically different especially with Cam. Their coaching couldnt hide the deficiencies of the roster once Cam couldnt pass or passed 8ft higher than the next WR. That week between KC/Denver/SF killed the season.

From the media pt of view , if pats dont make the superbowl or win a playoff game next yr , Bill should be fired. I totally see kraft letting bill go in 2 seasons. Hopefully these threads will die down once we get a daboll or arians or leftwich as the next great coach.

I’m just glad the Pats didn’t lose games on purpose to try for Lawrence.

Would have permanently DQ’ed Bill from any conversation about GOAT coach in my book.

It's a simple question that can't be answered. The original poster said there was no talent on the team. Does Bill not pick the players?
That's the catch-22 the Belichick krishnas have painted themselves into. In order to defend Belichick the coach, they have to point out how bad Belichick the GM is.

That's the catch-22 the Belichick krishnas have painted themselves into. In order to defend Belichick the coach, they have to point out how bad Belichick the GM is.
I've tried to separate the two in the past but it's getting tough. It is the same guy. If Bill can't pick key players well he needs to find someone who can.

That poster walked into a check mate on BB the GM, but won't admit Belichick is the reason they have "no talent".

Bill has nothing to prove.

This ****ing fan base is obsessed with getting an answer to an irrelevant, stupid question.

Belichick has nothing to prove.
Belichick is under .500 without Brady and it's not likely that changes next season.

Brady now has 3 playoff wins without Bill, all on the road. Bill has 1 playoff win without Brady and none on the road.

I'd like to think Bill knows all of that and feels he does have something to prove. Hope he rebuilds this team with that in mind.

Bill is GOAT coach without a doubt and I’m trying to keep that separate from Bill the GM but it’s getting difficult to do.
I am with you

Reactions: sb1
People still seem to forget how the Pats won at least their first two Super Bowls. The Patriots were designed to be a team that won on defense and asked the offense to be efficient. I would give Belichick more credit than Brady for the first two or three Super Bowls and Brady more credit than Belichick on the last three.

I think there were two changes outside the two men's control that helped to shift that dynamic. First the league changed to become overwhelmingly offensive focused. That change took away a lot of what made Belichick special because he is arguably the smartest defensive mind in NFL history and that side of the ball was weakened by the NFL. Second, so many teams tried to copy the Patriots that it drained the talent pool Belichick had to work with in both players and coaches. I think that significantly affected him as a GM too. No longer could he find solid veterans on the cheap like Mike Vrabel back in the day when he came here from Pittsburgh. Or older veterans with something left in the tank.

Whether or not Belichick rebuilds a championship caliber team, he will go down in history as the greatest coach ever. I think his legacy takes a minor hit if he doesn't, but most of the greatest coaches of all time never copied their success after the QB that got them to the point left.

People still seem to forget how the Pats won at least their first two Super Bowls. The Patriots were designed to be a team that won on defense and asked the offense to be efficient. I would give Belichick more credit than Brady for the first two or three Super Bowls and Brady more credit than Belichick on the last three.
That’s the tricky part because as great as Bill’s D were if he didn’t have the QB that made the key plays at the end of each of those SB, you win nothing.

If he has a no trade clause, he will not come to NE as it becoming a graveyard for QB's.

I doubt this team is going to look like last year on the offensive end. Going to be alot of changes this offseason

Bill has nothing to prove.

This ****ing fan base is obsessed with getting an answer to an irrelevant, stupid question.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I'm beginning to wonder if some of these people miss the feeling of exhilaration of winning so much that they just want to feel something...anything...and decided to go with misery.

Not sure how I'd feel about it. Great talent. Potential locker room cancer.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back