PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick vs. Brady duel: the X and O's.

PP2

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
I want to to start a separate thread that deals strictly with the X and O's of the upcoming Belichick vs. Brady duel and just leave the drama, the soap opera, and who did what's, to the pre-game thread.

Brady, in his 22 years in the NFL has pretty much seen everything that a defense has thrown at him- but there are a handful of times that he's been thoroughly confused or caught unprepared- Mangini's amoeba defense, Rex Ryan suddenly throwing out his blitz heavy packages and going strictly pressures/dropbacks, Steelers LeBleu suddenly abandoning his zone principles and playing man to man, and of course there's the infamous "pressure up the middle" packages that Spagnuolo devised, that was and is Brady's kryptonite.

Now if anyone can fool Brady, it's going to be Belichick. We all know his mantra of taking one game at a time, but we all know he's had this game mentally circled on his calendar ever since the NFL schedule was released. The fact that Brady won a superbowl without him has got to be gnawing at his guts and this very probably is the only chance he can ever get at revenge or redemption.

So what will Belichick do? He has an encyclopedia knowledge of the game and of its history. He's more likely, than anyone else, to pull out an arcane defensive formation last seen in the '50's.

One thing is for sure- we'll be bringing plenty of pressure up the middle. Brady loves to be able to step up in the pocket, and for that reason, I don't think we'll have edge rushers be a big part of the package.

Will he also utilize the amoeba defense? One defensive lineman and the rest in perpetual motion- Brady is a veteran but his line is relatively young- they will have a hard time setting protection without a stationary mike.

Or will he go with something completely out of left field? Saw this on twitter and it intrigued me:

I want to to start a separate thread that deals strictly with the X and O's of the upcoming Belichick vs. Brady duel and just leave the drama, the soap opera, and who did what's, to the pre-game thread.

Brady, in his 22 years in the NFL has pretty much seen everything that a defense has thrown at him- but there are a handful of times that he's been thoroughly confused or caught unprepared- Mangini's amoeba defense, Rex Ryan suddenly throwing out his blitz heavy packages and going strictly pressures/dropbacks, Steelers LeBleu suddenly abandoning his zone principles and playing man to man, and of course there's the infamous "pressure up the middle" packages that Spagnuolo devised, that was and is Brady's kryptonite.

Now if anyone can fool Brady, it's going to be Belichick. We all know his mantra of taking one game at a time, but we all know he's had this game mentally circled on his calendar ever since the NFL schedule was released. The fact that Brady won a superbowl without him has got to be gnawing at his guts and this very probably is the only chance he can ever get at revenge or redemption.

So what will Belichick do? He has an encyclopedia knowledge of the game and of its history. He's more likely, than anyone else, to pull out an arcane defensive formation last seen in the '50's.

One thing is for sure- we'll be bringing plenty of pressure up the middle. Brady loves to be able to step up in the pocket, and for that reason, I don't think we'll have edge rushers be a big part of the package.

Will he also utilize the amoeba defense? One defensive lineman and the rest in perpetual motion- Brady is a veteran but his line is relatively young- they will have a hard time setting protection without a stationary mike.

Or will he go with something completely out of left field? Saw this on twitter and it intrigued me:

Yeah thats all nice and all, but wouldnt Bill design a gameplan to confuse any QB they play? Why do you think he would be able to do it better vs Brady? I am pretty sure every team and their cousins have film on Brady, there is no hidden thing here. I mean what would be out of left field? The D tackles play corner? You can only do so much. You are not playing a kid who played 3 games here. Why would the emeba defense work? Is there like some history that it works over and over and if so, why doesnt all teams do it to Brady? Here is what you have to do. Play better than them. Execution matters, really.

We can’t contain all of his receivers so confusing looks up front will be paramount. Heavy disguise. Can’t blitz often either because Brady will recognize that and just gash us with crossers and slants. Ultimately, this will come down to getting pressure with just 4-5 rushers. I like the idea of the amoeba defense at least in theory, but they’ll just get run over once Brady recognizes it and sets the protections accordingly. Stunts and twists are the way to go but, again, we need to win those one-on-one battles. This is why I said two weeks ago that this would be a great game for Barmore to grow up. We need to deteriorate that pocket and force Brady to Judon’s side and off his spot while forcing him to hold the ball longer because everything in the intermediate to intermediate-deep levels are flooded.

Here's the thing. Those 2 Giants Superbowl losses were befuddling the same obtuse offensive coordinator.

I would actually bet it's more likely the BUCS front-7 puts a lot of pressure up the middle and all over the place, where the Patriots OC is the one who has no idea what to do and then our rookie QB continues to run for his life all day.

Expect the Bucs front7 to come alive against an oc who is easily game-planned against, and for the Bucs to look like the Giants.

Dropping 8 and rushing 3 had some success vs Brady.

Getting Brady off his spot too.

I see Gronk having a big game because Gronk is the go to guy.

Will he also utilize the amoeba defense? One defensive lineman and the rest in perpetual motion
Here's an interesting question - given his current WR and TE weapons - if given the "run as much as you want" defense - does Brady (wait, sorry Leftwich is the OC) take it? That's probably the best way to defend Tampa right now if you have a couple dominant DL types, a couple decent LBs and a good secondary.

Honestly it's likely irrelevant as this Patriots team's issue isn't defense - their entire OL is unable to run or pass block consistently right now meaning Tampa probably only needs to score 10-15 points to win, but it's an interesting side discussion. I don't see any Xs and Os meaning much for the Pats offense until that fundamental flaw is corrected (if it can be).

BB to Winovich.....

Karate Kid Sweep The Leg GIF by IFC

We can’t contain all of his receivers so confusing looks up front will be paramount. Heavy disguise. Can’t blitz often either because Brady will recognize that and just gash us with crossers and slants. Ultimately, this will come down to getting pressure with just 4-5 rushers. I like the idea of the amoeba defense at least in theory, but they’ll just get run over once Brady recognizes it and sets the protections accordingly. Stunts and twists are the way to go but, again, we need to win those one-on-one battles. This is why I said two weeks ago that this would be a great game for Barmore to grow up. We need to deteriorate that pocket and force Brady to Judon’s side and off his spot while forcing him to hold the ball longer because everything in the intermediate to intermediate-deep levels are flooded.
Is it as simple as pressure in his face and smash the chit out of the receivers, like BB did to the Greatest Show on Turf in SB36?

Here's an interesting question - given his current WR and TE weapons - if given the "run as much as you want" defense - does Brady (wait, sorry Leftwich is the OC) take it? That's probably the best way to defend Tampa right now if you have a couple dominant DL types, a couple decent LBs and a good secondary.

Honestly it's likely irrelevant as this Patriots team's issue isn't defense - their entire OL is unable to run or pass block consistently right now meaning Tampa probably only needs to score 10-15 points to win, but it's an interesting side discussion. I don't see any Xs and Os meaning much for the Pats offense until that fundamental flaw is corrected (if it can be).
Letting them run as much as they want is a good way to lose 34-10 instead of 42-14.

Is it as simple as pressure in his face and smash the chit out of the receivers, like BB did to the Greatest Show on Turf in SB36?
Football is often as simple as that, believe it or not. The problem is that it’s easier in theory than in practice. The center and guards get paid, too, and Brady is the GOAT in getting the ball out of his hands quickly to help his protection.

That only worked against mcD. Byron Leftwich, hottest HC candidate in the league, will likely have a better game plan to counteract this. It would look really embarrassing if Leftwich beats this drop8/rush3 defense, and on the flip side have the Pats offense constantly unable to block blitzers as Mac runs for his life while our oc continues to look totally overmatched. This is my base case thesis.

If you only rush 3, and Brady has all day for guys to get open, he is going to pick them apart.

Sure its simple, thats why the Patriots are 1-2, becuase its so simple. You do know you have to have players that can do things right? Smash the **** out the receivers, so the pats take about 50 flags? Yeah that will help. You have to beat the guy in front of you, its not simple which is why good teams win and bad teams dont.

Your best defense is an offense.

When the Parcells Giants beat the Kelly Bills in the Super Bowl the Giants controlled the ball and clock. The Pats need to have all RBs on deck and commit to rushing. Slow the game down.

Win the toss and take the ball. Churn out a 7 - 8 minute drive for 7 points

When the Parcells Giants beat the Kelly Bills in the Super Bowl the Giants controlled the ball and clock. The Pats need to have all RBs on deck and commit to rushing. Slow the game down.

That might be an issue. The pats have not been able to run well and the bucs are one of the best teams against the run. That could lead to a lot of 3rd and longs and a long day for Jones.

Letting them run as much as they want is a good way to lose 34-10 instead of 42-14.
We know Bill will try to take away one aspect. The question is what will that be? Bill let Thurman Thomas run for 135 in SB25, which kept the K-gun in check. Give up the run, smash the receivers, get super chippy with Gronk so he gets emotional, get pressure in Brady's face and shorten the game seems to be the best option in my playbook. Keep it from becoming a track meet.

We know Bill will try to take away one aspect. The question is what will that be? Bill let Thurman Thomas run for 135 in SB25, which kept the K-gun in check. Give up the run, smash the receivers, get super chippy with Gronk so he gets emotional, get pressure in Brady's face and shorten the game seems to be the best option in my playbook. Keep it from becoming a track meet.
Well golly why have we not done that this year? So all they have to do is stop the receivers, get pressure on the QB and push the TE around. Is LT coming to play from the 86 team by any chance? Here is the thing. Its not like the Bucs cant run, they just dont do it that much. Its like saying KC does not have a good run game. Last year the bucs were 27th in rushing they won the superbowl, and when they needed to in the playoffs they ran. Its not as though the pats have been dogs stopping the run this year, its been pretty average. If the Bucs can run well that does not help the Patriots, that opens up Playaction and you get over the top all day.

That only worked against mcD. Byron Leftwich, hottest HC candidate in the league, will likely have a better game plan to counteract this. It would look really embarrassing if Leftwich beats this drop8/rush3 defense, and on the flip side have the Pats offense constantly unable to block blitzers as Mac runs for his life while our oc continues to look totally overmatched. This is my base case thesis.
McDaniel was coach of the Broncos in 2010 when the Jets rolled into Foxboro and took out the Pats in the Division round.

All night long Ryan rushed 3 and dropped 8. Brady was frustrated because his options were bracketed by 2 defenders and he had to hold the ball.

That might be an issue. The pats have not been able to run well and the bucs are one of the best teams against the run. That could lead to a lot of 3rd and longs and a long day for Jones.
It's crazy that JJ Taylor barely gets to play.

I believe the guy can do great things if the Pats ever use him.

This is exactly right. Play like the Giants beat the Bills. Run the ball a TON. Kill the clock as much as possible. Pound and ground. 2 tight ends next to tackles all game long. And on defense, purposely play nickel or dime all game, dare and bait the Bucs to run it and also help kill clock.

But who are we kidding. We have a dummy at oc, this offense is going to go Spread Shotgun 5-wide and Mac will have 10 QB hits before halftime. I would bet money on this being the case, that's how predictable this oc is.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back