PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick vs. Brady duel: the X and O's.

McDaniel was coach of the Broncos in 2010 when the Jets rolled into Foxboro and took out the Pats in the Division round.

All night long Ryan rushed 3 and dropped 8. Brady was frustrated because his options were bracketed by 2 defenders and he had to hold the ball.

Good example thank you.

Don't rush at all from the edges. Try to bat down his short quick passes or slants.

Well golly why have we not done that this year? So all they have to do is stop the receivers, get pressure on the QB and push the TE around. Is LT coming to play from the 86 team by any chance? Here is the thing. Its not like the Bucs cant run, they just dont do it that much. Its like saying KC does not have a good run game. Last year the bucs were 27th in rushing they won the superbowl, and when they needed to in the playoffs they ran. Its not as though the pats have been dogs stopping the run this year, its been pretty average. If the Bucs can run well that does not help the Patriots, that opens up Playaction and you get over the top all day.

Sure its simple, thats why the Patriots are 1-2, becuase its so simple. You do know you have to have players that can do things right? Smash the **** out the receivers, so the pats take about 50 flags? Yeah that will help. You have to beat the guy in front of you, its not simple which is why good teams win and bad teams dont.
Thanks for the smarmy replies.

Like most QB's and especially Tom...I always felt heavy blitzing up the middle throws him off the most mainly because he won't be able to step up and forcing him to run to either side is a good thing for us. Clogging up the middle makes it harder to throw there as well. Try to make them run the ball of course.

Like most QB's and especially Tom...I always felt heavy blitzing up the middle throws him off the most mainly because he won't be able to step up and forcing him to run to either side is a good thing for us. Clogging up the middle makes it harder to throw there as well. Try to make them run the ball of course.
Yeah that works well on all QB's. You just have to be able to do it.

Yeah that works well on all QB's. You just have to be able to do it.
No it doesn't work on all QB's...but it does work to a degree on QB's that are not very mobile. For mobile QB's you want to do the opposite and contain from the edge.

Will Antonio Brown be off the Wuhan Flu list Sunday Night? If so, I expect him and Brady to go off. I don't see anyone being able to cover brown 1 on 1 and the Patriots pass rush has been fair to middling through 3 games....not impressed. Ted Johnson (I know some people hate him because he dared speaketh against Lord Belichick) was lighting into Judon in pass coverage and against the run. Said he was terrible in both and blew several coverages vs NO. We know brady loves the middle of the field....lets hope Judon doesn't F up Sunday night...
Judon wasn’t even IN coverage several times.

No it doesn't work on all QB's...but it does work to a degree on QB's that are not very mobile. For mobile QB's you want to do the opposite and contain from the edge.
No I am pretty sure constant pressure up the middle works on QB's ask Mahomes. Again, you just have to be able to do it.

No I am pretty sure constant pressure up the middle works on QB's ask Mahomes. Again, you just have to be able to do it.
Both Mahomes and Mac have the same 40 combine times...and I don't consider Mac a running QB...neither is Mahomes. I get your point.

Both Mahomes and Mac have the same 40 combine times...and I don't consider Mac a running QB...neither is Mahomes. I get your point.
I didnt know that. lol I just figured Mahomes liked to run.

The formula to beat Brady isn't rocket science. Everyone knows how to do it. Pressure him up the middle and get him off his spot. Jam the receivers off the line to throw off their timing. Hit Brady a lot. Everyone knows how to do it, not many teams can be successful at it. Not sure this team is either. The Pats clearly don't have the defense that the Rams have, but definitely have a better passing defense than the Falcons and probably the Cowboys. But the Falcons and Cowboys got shredded by Brady anyway (although the Pats won't play cover 2 all game like the Cowboys did).

Now the big question is on the other side of the ball. The best way to beat the Pats' defense is to run, run, and run some more. The Bucs have not been able to run the ball this year and I wonder if they will start on Sunday night because Leftwich and Arians will likely give Brady the chance to air it out in front of the Foxboro crowd. Will they be willing to go with a more of a ground and pound attack? And if they do, can they?

Brady losing to Bill and the Pats would not surprise me because Brady has had his fair share of blunders in the past losing to inferior teams. Any given Sunday.

On paper, this looks like a total mismatch in the Bucs favor. Same thing as last Sunday at LA as Ramsey can only defend one player. Donald and Floyd can only do so much as well while the rest of the no name defense has to do their part. They ended up slowing down the Bucs attack. However, the Pats offense really has to step up (especially the O-line) just like the Rams O did. Bucs secondary is terrible and JPP could be out again so they are vulnerable.

Brady losing to Bill and the Pats would not surprise me because Brady has had his fair share of blunders in the past losing to inferior teams. Any given Sunday.

On paper, this looks like a total mismatch in the Bucs favor. Same thing as last Sunday at LA as Ramsey can only defend one player. Donald and Floyd can only do so much as well while the rest of the no name defense has to do their part. They ended up slowing down the Bucs attack. However, the Pats offense really has to step up (especially the O-line) just like the Rams O did. Bucs secondary is terrible and JPP could be out again so they are vulnerable.

The old Pats would have surprised teams but I'm not seeing a reason to have confidence that they will pull it off. These Patriots fade as the season goes on. The sad truth.

Our defense struggles against mobile quarterbacks. We try to contain them and usually struggle to do so. Facing a qb as slow as Brady is not something we usually face. We won't have to spy him at any point in the game and that might allow our defense to play better than we might expect.

I've watched every Tampa game and this is the best time for us to face them. Gronk looked like he was seriously struggling with pain and Gio Bernard took a big hit to his knee the last game. Miller has a toe injury and Brown may still be on the Covid list. We lost James White and Trent Brown hasn't been able to play but our team health seems better than theirs atm. The Bucs are clearly better than us but because of injuries...maybe we steal this one.

Letting them run as much as they want is a good way to lose 34-10 instead of 42-14.
Don't disagree - shot in the head or the heart - the body still be dead.

If the offense was able to contribute, especially enough to run it say 25-30 times successfully (instead of the 1 out of 10 successful runs they've shown thus far) and the defense then face a "limited the number of TB possessions" then MAYBE the "let them run more" Payton Manning and Mike Martz defense MIGHT have a shot of getting into the "last possession" or "last defensive stop" scenario (best case).

But it cant. The OL (not just the RT, the whole OL) is too weak, disrupting everything the offense MIGHT be able to do in a comprehensive complimentary football approach.

The defense will be on the field too much, for too many possessions, and likely in poor field positions. They'll get figured out regardless of the scheme because it will be in those exposed positions and then eventually dissected.

Don't disagree - shot in the head or the heart - the body still be dead.

If the offense was able to contribute, especially enough to run it say 25-30 times successfully (instead of the 1 out of 10 successful runs they've shown thus far) and the defense then face a "limited the number of TB possessions" then MAYBE the "let them run more" Payton Manning and Mike Martz defense MIGHT have a shot of getting into the "last possession" or "last defensive stop" scenario (best case).

But it cant. The OL (not just the RT, the whole OL) is too weak, disrupting everything the offense MIGHT be able to do in a comprehensive complimentary football approach.

The defense will be on the field too much, for too many possessions, and likely in poor field positions. They'll get figured out regardless of the scheme because it will be in those exposed positions and then eventually dissected.

Agree. Best strategy this week is make the clock go by as fast as possible. Run on offense and bait the Bucs to run.

Doesn't Brady struggle against man to man coverages? Could try that. Or blitz all night.

Doesn't Brady struggle against man to man coverages? Could try that. Or blitz all night.
lol....no. Brady does not struggle vs man to man coverage, and I am not sure blitzing is the answer, or Brady would have been in the league about 2 years. People always make this out to be some simple thing to beat Brady yet he is the winningest QB of all time. Oh, all they have to do is this....So if you want the pats to get beat by 100, have them do man to man and blitz all night.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back