PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick vs. Brady duel: the X and O's.

Our defense struggles against mobile quarterbacks. We try to contain them and usually struggle to do so. Facing a qb as slow as Brady is not something we usually face. We won't have to spy him at any point in the game and that might allow our defense to play better than we might expect.

I've watched every Tampa game and this is the best time for us to face them. Gronk looked like he was seriously struggling with pain and Gio Bernard took a big hit to his knee the last game. Miller has a toe injury and Brown may still be on the Covid list. We lost James White and Trent Brown hasn't been able to play but our team health seems better than theirs atm. The Bucs are clearly better than us but because of injuries...maybe we steal this one.
Brown is not still on the covid list. Miller has barely played. Gronk is not injured. The pats best offensive player got carted off the field last week. If the pats had trouble stopping the mediocre NO offense, why would this change this week? The Rams are night and day a better defense at this point than the Pats, and tampa moved the ball up and down the field, the issue was they could not get the rams off the field, but in no way shape or form is the pats offense the rams offense.

Brown is not still on the covid list. Miller has barely played. Gronk is not injured. The pats best offensive player got carted off the field last week. If the pats had trouble stopping the mediocre NO offense, why would this change this week? The Rams are night and day a better defense at this point than the Pats, and tampa moved the ball up and down the field, the issue was they could not get the rams off the field, but in no way shape or form is the pats offense the rams offense.
Do you have a link to where Brown was removed from the list? I didn't see it anywhere and as far as I know he's not cleared yet.

Agree. Best strategy this week is make the clock go by as fast as possible. Run on offense and bait the Bucs to run.
That all sounds good if we had the line to run on their defensive front. I have my doubts on this. We’re gonna need to win against their secondary. Start making these teams pay when they send the house at Mac. Win the turnover battle and capitalize in the redzone with 7 instead of 3. Trading Fgs won’t work. Tampa’s offense will move the ball. We need to win once they get to the redzone.

Comments:

- I have been afraid of this game for a while now....and by that...I mean I am afraid for Brady's remaining career. If there is anyone on planet earth who can devise a defensive scheme to battle the GOAT's weaknesses....it is BB.

- What I have been thinking about is that week 10 game in 1998 where the heavily favored 6-2 Bledsoe-In-The-MVP-Conversation Patriots were coming off a BYE at home facing the 2-6 Jets led by Ray Lucas. We lost that game...and at that point...Bledsoe stopped looking like a MVP candidate...and the Patriots went 2-6 rest of the way...with one real win vs. the Cowboys....and an end of the season win vs. the Ravens in a game that didn't count.

- Drew Bledsoe's splits that season:

First 8 games: 13 touchdowns, 4 interceptions, 2,314 yards, and 22 sacks.
Final 8 games: 6 touchdowns, 17 interceptions, 1,671 yards, and 33 sacks.

- After that...Bledsoe went 5-13 with the Patriots before getting knocked out...then got us to a Superbowl...then was traded to the Bills...then the Cowboys...before being benched for Tony Romo by Parcells in 2006. He looked OK his first years with the Bills/Cowboys...but never was the same QB again.

- All of the above makes me wonder if BB has something up his sleeve that the NFL hasn't tried yet. Yeah, Brady has seen it ALL....but at the same time Belichick has NEVER faced a QB like Brady. There is no other Brady in NFL history...BB has faced dual threat QB's, QB's with great arms, QB's with pedigree, Rookie QB's, etc...etc...but it is like Brady said the other day about having a pretty good idea of what the Patriots will try to do on defense. Brady has been playing against the Pats D in practices for 20 years.....but it usually was Ernie's scout team defense playing a scheme that the opponent was likely to play....

- From a X and O's perspective, this game should be fascinating....we cannot really stop these guys with the talent we have on defense right now. Gonna be some smoke and mirrors, IMO. I'd feel better if we had Gilmore and better showings in the "run fits" department going into this game...but we don't....

- I agree...make them run the ball. Just too damn much offensive firepower between Evans, Godwin, Brown, and Gronk. Make em' give it to Fournette all day.... And yes...get Brady outta the pocket...and before he even releases the ball...damn...

- God, I love it...for the first time ever we will be ****ting our pants about how good Brady is.....and hoping that BB has something in his bag of tricks....

Struggle against man? Blitz all night? My goodness...
I’m just going to accept that he’s relatively new to the game.

Comments:

- I have been afraid of this game for a while now....and by that...I mean I am afraid for Brady's remaining career. If there is anyone on planet earth who can devise a defensive scheme to battle the GOAT's weaknesses....it is BB.

- What I have been thinking about is that week 10 game in 1998 where the heavily favored 6-2 Bledsoe-In-The-MVP-Conversation Patriots were coming off a BYE at home facing the 2-6 Jets led by Ray Lucas. We lost that game...and at that point...Bledsoe stopped looking like a MVP candidate...and the Patriots went 2-6 rest of the way...with one real win vs. the Cowboys....and an end of the season win vs. the Ravens in a game that didn't count.

- Drew Bledsoe's splits that season:

First 8 games: 13 touchdowns, 4 interceptions, 2,314 yards, and 22 sacks.
Final 8 games: 6 touchdowns, 17 interceptions, 1,671 yards, and 33 sacks.

- After that...Bledsoe went 5-13 with the Patriots before getting knocked out...then got us to a Superbowl...then was traded to the Bills...then the Cowboys...before being benched for Tony Romo by Parcells in 2006. He looked OK his first years with the Bills/Cowboys...but never was the same QB again.

- All of the above makes me wonder if BB has something up his sleeve that the NFL hasn't tried yet. Yeah, Brady has seen it ALL....but at the same time Belichick has NEVER faced a QB like Brady. There is no other Brady in NFL history...BB has faced dual threat QB's, QB's with great arms, QB's with pedigree, Rookie QB's, etc...etc...but it is like Brady said the other day about having a pretty good idea of what the Patriots will try to do on defense. Brady has been playing against the Pats D in practices for 20 years.....but it usually was Ernie's scout team defense playing a scheme that the opponent was likely to play....

- From a X and O's perspective, this game should be fascinating....we cannot really stop these guys with the talent we have on defense right now. Gonna be some smoke and mirrors, IMO. I'd feel better if we had Gilmore and better showings in the "run fits" department going into this game...but we don't....

- I agree...make them run the ball. Just too damn much offensive firepower between Evans, Godwin, Brown, and Gronk. Make em' give it to Fournette all day.... And yes...get Brady outta the pocket...and before he even releases the ball...damn...

- God, I love it...for the first time ever we will be ****ting our pants about how good Brady is.....and hoping that BB has something in his bag of tricks....

This is a great post. I didn't realize at the time that Bledsoe was exposed then, chalked it up to Carroll at the time, but it makes sense.

This is a great post. I didn't realize at the time that Bledsoe was exposed then, chalked it up to Carroll at the time, but it makes sense.

Not sure he was specifically exposed per se....or that he just regressed. I could also argue that he wasn't the same QB after those thrilling split-finger wins against Miami and Buffalo to save the 1998 season.....

But he faced BB...and the NFL is a copycat league....

Not sure he was specifically exposed per se....or that he just regressed. I could also argue that he wasn't the same QB after those thrilling split-finger wins against Miami and Buffalo to save the 1998 season.....

But he faced BB...and the NFL is a copycat league....

It might take a lot of time to prove and sift through but I think it's possible there are other examples with as striking pre/post numbers where BB completely exposed a guy who was never the same after.

It might take a lot of time to prove and sift through but I think it's possible there are other examples with as striking pre/post numbers where BB completely exposed a guy who was never the same after.

The Bills still made it to 3 more Superbowls after BB stalled that K-Gun offense in 1990.....but yeah...I hope someone else will take up that project and look for examples.

LMAO......dude Bill is not a mage. He will do a gameplan to take on tampa and whoever exeuctes better will win. Every team and every fan and ever media person knows what Brady's weakness and strengths are. He has played for 20 years. Unless his plan is that the defense carries butcher knives, I think Brady will survive the ordeal, win or lose. I mean you are comparing the 86 giants with LT to the 2021 pats. If BB does not have the players, a scheme is not going to do it unless he has saved a scheme nobody has ever seen for the past 40 years. I am not sure why fans think magic is what is needed because it never is. Its players excuting better than other players. He is not going to sprinkle magic pixie dust and make them the 86 giants or he damn sure would have before now.

There have been a lot of times the pats D has been lit up, but in some of those cases Brady matched it and we won anyway. That is what is going to have to happen. Players have to execute, if they do, they can win.

Do you have a link to where Brown was removed from the list? I didn't see it anywhere and as far as I know he's not cleared yet.
Vaccinated Players are on covid list 7 days....If they test positive but dont have symptoms, they do not have to wait 10 days.

LMAO......dude Bill is not a mage. He will do a gameplan to take on tampa and whoever exeuctes better will win. Every team and every fan and ever media person knows what Brady's weakness and strengths are. He has played for 20 years. Unless his plan is that the defense carries butcher knives, I think Brady will survive the ordeal, win or lose. I mean you are comparing the 86 giants with LT to the 2021 pats. If BB does not have the players, a scheme is not going to do it unless he has saved a scheme nobody has ever seen for the past 40 years. I am not sure why fans think magic is what is needed because it never is. Its players excuting better than other players. He is not going to sprinkle magic pixie dust and make them the 86 giants or he damn sure would have before now.

I think it's time for your medicare meds ? That poster was talking about 1998 Bledsoe pre/post facing the Jets. I don't think there's really anything to expose about Brady. The goat can only be contained somewhat. I expect our DBs to be torched all day actually without Gilmore, at least 1 or 2 matchups look bad on every single snap

lol....no. Brady does not struggle vs man to man coverage, and I am not sure blitzing is the answer, or Brady would have been in the league about 2 years. People always make this out to be some simple thing to beat Brady yet he is the winningest QB of all time. Oh, all they have to do is this....So if you want the pats to get beat by 100, have them do man to man and blitz all night.

Brady feasts on blitzing. Just ask the Steelers. He ate their fire zone blitzes for lunch.

As the NYG have shown us, the best way, and probably the only way, to beat Brady is to collapse or move the pocket, or make him think the pocket is going to collapse right away. As he is anal when it comes to mechanics and proper execution, he hates being moved or having to reset. And he really hates not being able to move up in the pocket to avoid the edge rushers.

If Tampa Bay can keep the pocket clean, it's sayonara for us. But if we can at least agitate if not collapse the pocket, I think we have a decent chance. I think BB will be preaching his D to not worry about sacks, just get pressure, get a hand on him. Make him feel your presence.

Brady feasts on blitzing. Just ask the Steelers. He ate their fire zone blitzes for lunch.

As the NYG have shown us, the best way, and probably the only way, to beat Brady is to collapse or move the pocket, or make him think the pocket is going to collapse right away. As he is anal when it comes to mechanics and proper execution, he hates being moved or having to reset. And he really hates not being able to move up in the pocket to avoid the edge rushers.

If Tampa Bay can keep the pocket clean, it's sayonara for us. But if we can at least agitate if not collapse the pocket, I think we have a decent chance. I think BB will be preaching his D to not worry about sacks, just get pressure, get a hand on him. Make him feel your presence.
and actually he has become way better at dealing with that then he used to as well. He has come a long way since the giants superbowl with moving in the pocket, quicker throws, etc. Plus he has guys that can get open quicker.

I think it's time for your medicare meds ? That poster was talking about 1998 Bledsoe pre/post facing the Jets. I don't think there's really anything to expose about Brady. The goat can only be contained somewhat. I expect our DBs to be torched all day actually without Gilmore, at least 1 or 2 matchups look bad on every single snap
He literally wrote this
"- I have been afraid of this game for a while now....and by that...I mean I am afraid for Brady's remaining career. If there is anyone on planet earth who can devise a defensive scheme to battle the GOAT's weaknesses....it is BB."

If you are going to call me out for something make sure you read it yourself.

Vaccinated Players are on covid list 7 days....If they test positive but dont have symptoms, they do not have to wait 10 days.
Doesn't he need 2 negative tests within 48 hours and also no symptoms? Has it been reported he has no symptoms? I'm not sure he's assured of playing this week.

Not looking to derail this thread into a Covid debate, but it seems so weird that a player can be positive and still on the field. I understand the scientific reasoning, but it just seems so counterintuitive.

Edit: I’m not sure that is correct after reading some bullet points. I believe you need two negative tests.

Not looking to derail this thread into a Covid debate, but it seems so weird that a player can be positive and still on the field. I understand the scientific reasoning, but it just seems so counterintuitive.
Oh yeah you are asking the wrong person. I have no idea of why the rules are how they are.

Doesn't he need 2 negative tests within 48 hours and also no symptoms? Has it been reported he has no symptoms? I'm not sure he's assured of playing this week.
Yes its been reported he had no symptoms, and Arians said today he is confident he will be playing Sunday. He said last week game was just too soon to do all the tests as they didnt add him until Wednesday.

Yes its been reported he had no symptoms, and Arians said today he is confident he will be playing Sunday. He said last week game was just too soon to do all the tests as they didnt add him until Wednesday.
Where did you get the info from Arians? Press conference? You‘re plugged-in well with this info, if you don’t mind sharing your source/s. I type Antonio Brown into Twitter and can’t find anything.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back