PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick vs. Brady duel: the X and O's.

Where did you get the info from Arians? Press conference? You‘re plugged-in well with this info, if you don’t mind sharing your source/s. I type Antonio Brown into Twitter and can’t find anything.
He tested positive Wednesday. He missed the game sunday, because he had to have two negative tests. Even if they had to wait 10 days he would be clear for next sunday. But he is not going to guarantee anything. Basically arians just said he has a good feeling he will be back by then. That would be the normal timeline for other players this year on their return, so unless there is something that happens, I see him returning before sunday. I mean Arians is pretty upbeat about most things, so I doubt he is going to say Brown is not looking good unless he knew something we didnt.

Here's the thing. Those 2 Giants Superbowl losses were befuddling the same obtuse offensive coordinator.

I would actually bet it's more likely the BUCS front-7 puts a lot of pressure up the middle and all over the place, where the Patriots OC is the one who has no idea what to do and then our rookie QB continues to run for his life all day.

Expect the Bucs front7 to come alive against an oc who is easily game-planned against, and for the Bucs to look like the Giants.
*facepalm*

Doesn't Brady struggle against man to man coverages? Could try that. Or blitz all night.

Struggle is a strong word. He is far more likely to struggle against man than cover 2. When he struggles against a defense, it is usually man coverage.

Which is surprising that the Cowboys stayed in the cover 2 most of the game. They actually had some success against Brady the few times they play man against them. But Dan Quinn is from Carroll's Seahawk defense and they don't change for anyone. Part of the reason Brady had such a great game vs. them in the Super Bowl. He picked apart their defense in the second half.

Bill needs to put together a game plan like he did to derail the 1999 Pats. Remember that game? Nobody saw that coming.

Here's an interesting question - given his current WR and TE weapons - if given the "run as much as you want" defense - does Brady (wait, sorry Leftwich is the OC) take it? That's probably the best way to defend Tampa right now if you have a couple dominant DL types, a couple decent LBs and a good secondary.

Honestly it's likely irrelevant as this Patriots team's issue isn't defense - their entire OL is unable to run or pass block consistently right now meaning Tampa probably only needs to score 10-15 points to win, but it's an interesting side discussion. I don't see any Xs and Os meaning much for the Pats offense until that fundamental flaw is corrected (if it can be).
Who are the dominant dl?

This is exactly right. Play like the Giants beat the Bills. Run the ball a TON. Kill the clock as much as possible. Pound and ground. 2 tight ends next to tackles all game long. And on defense, purposely play nickel or dime all game, dare and bait the Bucs to run it and also help kill clock.

But who are we kidding. We have a dummy at oc, this offense is going to go Spread Shotgun 5-wide and Mac will have 10 QB hits before halftime. I would bet money on this being the case, that's how predictable this oc is.
They cant run the ball... If they could they wouldve done it in the first half against the saints.

Id be nervous... Our max so far is 2 tds a game. Were hoping for an explosion in scoring. Not sure it will happen until they put together a good line and actually get aggressive with play calling

Struggle is a strong word. He is far more likely to struggle against man than cover 2. When he struggles against a defense, it is usually man coverage.

Which is surprising that the Cowboys stayed in the cover 2 most of the game. They actually had some success against Brady the few times they play man against them. But Dan Quinn is from Carroll's Seahawk defense and they don't change for anyone. Part of the reason Brady had such a great game vs. them in the Super Bowl. He picked apart their defense in the second half.
2 Man Under disguised as base Cover-2, and vice versa, has thrown him off in the past. You can also disguise 2 Man Under by using a Robber and rolling into Cover-1 after the snap. That was play that the Falcons caught Brady on for the pick-6 in the Super Bowl. If it doesn’t succeed in fooling him, however, you’re leaving one of Brown, Godwin, or Evans in man-to-man with zero help over the top.

Damn, we could really use Gilmore in this game.

2 Man Under disguised as base Cover-2, and vice versa, has thrown him off in the past. You can also disguise 2 Man Under by using a Robber and rolling into Cover-1 after the snap. That was play that the Falcons caught Brady on for the pick-6 in the Super Bowl. If it doesn’t succeed in fooling him, however, you’re leaving one of Brown, Godwin, or Evans in man-to-man with zero help over the top.

Yes, Brady doesn't get easily fooled, but yes these are the rare things that have fooled him in the past. I just don't know if the Pats have the defense to try some of these things. Brady with three WRs that are/were #1 quality receivers, it scares me to think of putting someone like Mills alone on an island with one of those guys.

I do wonder if after 20 years of being up close and personal with Brady and watching him every game whether Belichick has a new wrinkle that Brady has never seen before. If anyone might, I would assume it would be Belichick. But then again, what could there be that Brady has never seen before.

Zo today talked about X’s and O’s for the game. Good listen if you have time.

The only thing Brady doesn’t like is pressure up the middle. The problem for us is how do we deliver it? We don’t have the studs up front to do it on their own so it will be blitzes. If we sit back Brady will kill us with death by paper cuts. He’ll just march down the field. I would go man to man with middle blitzes/pressure, try to force a few sacks and turnovers. He’ll get his but if we can make a few stops/turnovers that may be the best way to keep them under 28 pts.

On O it will be tough to run. Vera and Suh in the middle with speedy LBs. A lot will have to go on Mac’s plate, but the Bucs DBs right now are their weak spots, so I say spread them out and go after their DBs. The key is the line, we gotta play better there or it will be a long, long night. We also gotta score TDs instead of FGs. We somehow gotta get to the 30 pt range.

For the Pats to win we gotta play a near perfect game.

Bucs 34
Patriots 23

The only thing Brady doesn’t like is pressure up the middle. The problem for us is how do we deliver it? We don’t have the studs up front to do it on their own so it will be blitzes. If we sit back Brady will kill us with death by paper cuts. He’ll just march down the field. I would go man to man with middle blitzes/pressure, try to force a few sacks and turnovers. He’ll get his but if we can make a few stops/turnovers that may be the best way to keep them under 28 pts.

Rex Ryan, Spags, and others have shown us that it's enough to just get pressure on Brady, especially up the middle. They did it without exotic blitz packages or relying too much on decoying coverages.

Not much of a X's and O's guru - is there a way to "move" a pocket without very skilled rushers? A design that isn't necessarily focused on collapsing the pocket or sacking, but merely moving it to throw off some fundamentals, with the hope of just forcing a throwing form reset?

Not sure if what I'm saying makes sense, but almost how we'd treat mobile QB's a few years back - don't rush them, set the edge, keep them in the pocket, don't let them make plays/throws with their scrambles? Except, in this form, we're looking to have a less-than-negligible displacement of the pocket that causes Tom to have to reset?

As far as offense goes, I really have no idea. I'd love to see the two TE's (as would everyone else) have some production. And pass protection. God, please, I really really don't want Suh to hit Mac.

Rex Ryan, Spags, and others have shown us that it's enough to just get pressure on Brady, especially up the middle. They did it without exotic blitz packages or relying too much on decoying coverages.
Its in the perssonel

On O it will be tough to run. Vera and Suh in the middle with speedy LBs. A lot will have to go on Mac’s plate, but the Bucs DBs right now are their weak spots, so I say spread them out and go after their DBs. The key is the line, we gotta play better there or it will be a long, long night. We also gotta score TDs instead of FGs. We somehow gotta get to the 30 pt range.

Bucs 34
Patriots 23
Don't see how we score 23. You better hope Trent brown comes back to old form. I hope they move mike o to right tackle and use karras. Wynn has played poorly... Keep a tight end in to help him

Bucs 34
Patriots 23
Are there like QB's out there that like a lot of pressure up the middle? Yes, I sure do live a rusher going right up the middle to pressure me. Love it, give me more of that said no QB ever.

Or the creative use of personnel.
You can only do so much with bad players. It does not matter what you do as a coach if players do not execute, its going to look like crap.

Great breakdown I'm curious how would you defend Gronk with that in place? Looks like Gronk is playing to close to his 2017 version right now

They did it when they had the star players to execute it. When they didn't Brady hung 40+ on those "geniuses" who had "figured him out." There is no free ride where you can beat Brady with scrubs using ~coaching magic ~

Maybe calling the Pats D scrubs is unfair, but they sure as **** aren't the 2015 Broncos or even 2007 Giants up front. Who is this team's Strahan or Von Miller?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back