PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick (via Howe) also claims be didn’t want to draft Mac Jones

Nah, he's still a first ballot HoF'er. If that ever changes, then you can claim that his legacy has taken a hit.
Remaining a lock for the HoF doesn’t mean his legacy still hasn’t taken a hit.

In 4 years post Brady he’s made the playoffs 1 time, the team bottomed out in large part due to his personnel decisions resulting in a mutual parting of ways aka you’re fired. 4 years ago his status as the GOAT coach wasn’t really questioned. Now there’s some debate.

Remaining a lock for the HoF doesn’t mean his legacy still hasn’t taken a hit.

In 4 years post Brady he’s made the playoffs 1 time, the team bottomed out in large part due to his personnel decisions resulting in a mutual parting of ways aka you’re fired. 4 years ago his status as the GOAT coach wasn’t really questioned. Now there’s some debate.
Only by people who have no clue about football

I wonder what would have happened if Brady played his last 3 years here instead of in TB.
Given the depleted state of the roster and the necessary cap reset, Brady would have wasted the last three years of his career. While it is still painful to think about, TB12 leaving when he did to a team with a better roster was a win win for the team and player. The Pats would have been incrementally better for those 3 years, but not in play to win the Super Bowl. The team was able to get started on the rebuild sooner. Today we would be in the exact same place as far as QB goes, a mediocre draft position, with a less talented roster and no cap space. Ironically only BB would have benefited if Brady stayed because he would have more wins for his pursuit of Shula.

Last edited:
It's amazing how absolutely no one in the Patriots organization wanted to draft Mac Jones, and yet here he is.

What in the world kind of response is this?
I said 58% of 1st rounders fail. 2% of 2nd rounders make it. Why take issue?
The point about Mills isn't that he's the Patriots permanent QB (he is better than Mac though) it's that we didn't waste a 1st rounder on him and could then go back and grab another QB.

Is mills better than Mac though?

I doubt the fan base would’ve been happy with the plan of replacing Brady being cam newton on one arm and then Davis mills in the 3rd.

Mac didn’t work out. But at the time it wasn’t a bad pick. It’s revisionist history to act like it was at the time and everyone saw it

Is mills better than Mac though?

I doubt the fan base would’ve been happy with the plan of replacing Brady being cam newton on one arm and then Davis mills in the 3rd.

Mac didn’t work out. But at the time it wasn’t a bad pick. It’s revisionist history to act like it was at the time and everyone saw it
Davis Mills would never be the permanent solution here anyway. As for Mac, I'm not an NFL GM. Some people were critical on Mac, yes. You can go back here on draft night and read some of the posters here.

I always cite the stat that only 2-3% of QBs drafted after the first round make it. So I'm sure Belichick would be well aware that Davis Mills was filling a necessary stopgap. The likelihood would be they'd try to grab Garoppolo instead, but what do I know?

Maybe Baker Mayfield?

Do you remember all the articles about Belichick wanting Mayfield years ago?

Three first round exits from the playoffs with a poor Oline and substandard WR's. I bet Brady to Henry would have been very successful but ultimately not enough to get them past the first round.

If you thought Mac was pissed with Patricia/Judge, can you imaging how mad Brady would have been with their incompetence.

In fairness, Brady would have just blown off Patricia and called his own plays. And Brady and O'Brien would call plays they wanted. Brady could have gotten away with it. Few other QBs could have.

Given the depleted state of the roster and the necessary cap reset, Brady would have wasted the last three years of his career. While it is still painful to think about, TB12 leaving when he did to a team with a better roster was a win win for the team and player. The Pats would have been incrementally better for those 3 years, but not in play to win the Super Bowl. The team was able to get started on the rebuild sooner. Today we would be in the exact same place as far as QB goes, a mediocre draft position, with a less talented roster and no cap space. Ironically only BB would have benefited if Brady stayed because he would have more wins for his pursuit of Shula.

There was no "win-win" for player and team, unless you mean Brady and the Bucs. There was no "win" for the Pats. We didn't get some draft capital for letting Brady go. We basically sucked for 4 years. There's hardly any doubt that if we kept Brady we'd have more wins, and made the playoffs more often. Whether we would have won the SB or not is irrelevant. It's not like we were competing for the SB after kicking him out.

Fact remains Pats were a better team if they had retained Brady, and would have won more games and competed better. We made a stupid decision for letting him go. He would have stayed and wanted to stay, and at a reasonable price. BB pushed him out since he wanted to show he can win without Brady. That decision failed and it cost BB his job.

Only by people who have no clue about football

Coach yes. But his status has greatest GM was always dicey. And his decision to push Brady out has shown him in bad light. Despite all the wins, it's a stretch to say he's the greatest GM of all time. He's a GM who got lucky with Brady, and was smart enough to retain him most of Brady's career but not smart enough to retain Brady for his entire career. And he's made some really bad GM decisions on coaching staff or drafts over the years.

Nah, he's still a first ballot HoF'er. If that ever changes, then you can claim that his legacy has taken a hit.
He'll get in on the first ballot but I don't think it will be unanimous like it probably should be.

One writer from Pittsburgh already said he's not voting for him because of the "-gates" scandals.

Coach yes. But his status has greatest GM was always dicey. And his decision to push Brady out has shown him in bad light. Despite all the wins, it's a stretch to say he's the greatest GM of all time. He's a GM who got lucky with Brady, and was smart enough to retain him most of Brady's career but not smart enough to retain Brady for his entire career. And he's made some really bad GM decisions on coaching staff or drafts over the years.
Has anyone ever claimed that BB was the GOAT GM?

There was no "win-win" for player and team, unless you mean Brady and the Bucs. There was no "win" for the Pats. We didn't get some draft capital for letting Brady go. We basically sucked for 4 years. There's hardly any doubt that if we kept Brady we'd have more wins, and made the playoffs more often. Whether we would have won the SB or not is irrelevant. It's not like we were competing for the SB after kicking him out.

Fact remains Pats were a better team if they had retained Brady, and would have won more games and competed better. We made a stupid decision for letting him go. He would have stayed and wanted to stay, and at a reasonable price. BB pushed him out since he wanted to show he can win without Brady. That decision failed and it cost BB his job.
The contract he was offered here and the one he signed with the Bucs say otherwise.

His contract expired. There's no way the Pats were going to get any kind of draft compensation. Oh, but you're right. The Pats should have gotten in their time machine, went to the future, saw Brady wasn't going to re-sign and the traded him mid-season.

On draft night I was fine with the Mac pick, but also would not have minded a small trade-up for Fields, who was still available as late as #11, which would've been fairly decent value since I had him as the #2 QB after Lawrence. I just didn't want to trade multiple top-100 picks in multiple years for either him or Mac...

This is a hilarious question coming from you. You're the guy that rattles off who they *should* have drafted in every other post, after all.

Read my post above for my thoughts on the pick at the time it happened.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back