PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick (via Howe) also claims be didn’t want to draft Mac Jones

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Wouldn’t you know it? It seems Bill was responsible for every good decision, and not responsible for every failure. Spinjob Belichick continues his campaign, ongoing since 2017.

Belichick was 100% spot on in his assessment.

I'll go farther: for BB to have this stance, he got some bad intel from Saban about Mac's mental makeup.

There were so many instances when Mac's leadership could be questioned, and that had little to do with his inabilities and skills on the field.

Cool story. Bill wanted to roll with Mills lol. More brilliant decisions from him. I'm sure he would have hit on whoever he took in the first of that draft as well.... Strong track record and all that.

In all seriousness, after years of stories of Bill overruling scouts and getting busts, it sounds like he's realizing people are probably hesistant to give him the same control he had here after his recent performance and now he has to soften the narrative.

Belichick was 100% spot on in his assessment.

I'll go farther: for BB to have this stance, he got some bad intel from Saban about Mac's mental makeup.

There were so many instances when Mac's leadership could be questioned, and that had little to do with his inabilities and skills on the field.
So the most trusted quarterback evaluator in professional football at the time just happened to defer to lesser minds on the most consequential draft pick of his lifetime? Sure dude. He just happened to pick his college coach buddy’s player as usual, but it was everyone else’s fault they picked Jones.

So the most trusted quarterback evaluator in professional football at the time just happened to defer to lesser minds on the most consequential draft pick of his lifetime? Sure dude. He just happened to pick his college coach buddy’s player as usual, but it was everyone else’s fault they picked Jones.
Krafts wanted Mac. "The face of the franchise." Howe has confirmed this with a source other than Belichick.

Last edited:
Kraft put a collaborative team in place. Go watch it yourself . There is nothing to doubt here. I have videos from Mac’s pro day and in it he knew right there after some horrible misses by Mac that Mac was not it. I have always been convinced of this. Will be interesting if Mayo is asked to develop Mac. I feel a bit for Mayo, he may not have the control he needs to succeed.

Last edited:
It was either Mac Jones at 15 or wait until later to take Davis Mills. So we were screwed either way lol. I wonder who BB would’ve taken at 15 instead. I remember Zaven Collins being a popular choice around here, and he went right after at 16 overall to the Cardinals.

Ok, here is the actual full article from Howe with more context. Definitely not a defense of Belichick piece - far from it. In fact, it reads like Belichick was expecting Jones to be gone at 15 and was planning on taking Mills at 15.

Relevant part about the Jones draft selection:

On April 29, 2021, Jones was still on the board when the Patriots were on the clock at No. 15. Belichick liked Jones, but he also liked quarterback Davis Mills. Belichick also was dead set on taking a quarterback at that spot.

But Jones was the Patriots’ highest-rated player, and they desperately needed a quarterback after going 7-9 with Cam Newton in their first season without Tom Brady. Belichick appeared content to wait for Mills, who fell to Caserio’s Texans in the third round, but relinquished to the staff’s strong push for Jones, according to league sources. After previously vowing to be more collaborative, Belichick recognized he couldn’t go back on his word with his first selection under the new approach.

Before calling Jones, Belichick repeatedly asked his staff members if they were fully on board with the selection. He received no pushback.

How Bill Belichick's mishandling of Mac Jones, offense, led to demise with Patriots

Wouldn’t you know it? It seems Bill was responsible for every good decision, and not responsible for every failure. Spinjob Belichick continues his campaign, ongoing since 2017.

I believe this
BB would normally just blurt out the pick and say to send it in in the war room
During the Jones pick he looked at everyone and said something to the effect of ”are we all good with this”

Today’s hot take world.
“Savage” tweets: CONFIRMED: Mac Jones was NOT a Bill Belichick guy:

Howe actually says: Belichick liked Jones, but he also liked quarterback Davis Mills.

There’s definitely a pro-Belichick defense going on right now but I definitely think he didn’t want to draft Mac.

Another example of just because a team takes a player, doesn’t mean that’s who they actually wanted.

Got rid of Brady with no plan in place. Biggest mistake of Belichick’s career.

This and not drafting Lamar.

Also, everyone knew something stupid was going on with Mac continuously getting the nod to start games except for @archstanton543. Belichick was an ******* for making us suffer like that, but at least we got a #3 pick out of it.

There’s definitely a pro-Belichick defense going on right now but I definitely think he didn’t want to draft Mac.
Way more BB bashing going on I always take anything from the media with a grain of salt. In part because they suck and in part because I hate all the drama BS though admittedly like a train wreck I still watch.

Ok, here is the actual full article from Howe with more context. Definitely not a defense of Belichick piece - far from it. In fact, it reads like Belichick was expecting Jones to be gone at 15 and was planning on taking Mills at 15.

Relevant part about the Jones draft selection:

How Bill Belichick's mishandling of Mac Jones, offense, led to demise with Patriots
"Dead set on..." or
"Belichick was dead set against taking a QB at 16."?

The article is poorly written.

It says Belichick wanted to wait for Mills, which means later rounds.

I think that's a typo

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back