PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick (via Howe) also claims be didn’t want to draft Mac Jones

Why wouldn't you? Unless your happy with Bailey Jones? We can't just rest on the new QB bringing us to the playoffs.. Mac isn't it neither is Zappe.. so why not go for fields..while still drafting a guy.

I'm not sure why what I wrote doesn't make sense. If I say to you, you get most of the decisions, but you have to give in sometimes, then you have to pick your spots. It's a matter of how hard the others are pounding on the table.

When it comes to Mac, this is an incredibly delicate decision. The whole football world is telling you he should be picked anywhere from 3 to 12. The Krafts are starving for a QB who will be the face of the franchise. Something about Mac doesn't impress you (his arm, you talked to Saban, who knows?) but you're not sure this guy isn't going to be the next Drew Brees or even Peyton Manning (I happen to think Mac Jones and Manning have similar throwing styles, similar release points, compact motions). So you defer: this is not the spot to put your foot down. Not when everyone else says you are wrong, not when your bosses are desperately starved for a franchise QB.

If Belichick can pick and choose when he gives into his staff, it means there was no order from above to do it. Kraft didn't tell Belichick he had to let his coaching staff make the final decision on personnel, but only when he feels it is the right thing to do.

And from the reports, Belichick was willing to wait to get Davis Mills. It wasn't that he was against drafting Mac Jones. There is no reports saying he was against drafting Mac. Just that he was willing to wait for Mills and he listened to his staff in their assessment of Mac. And even then, it could just be Belichick's camp trying to deflect blame.

If Belichick can pick and choose when he gives into his staff, it means there was no order from above to do it. Kraft didn't tell Belichick he had to let his coaching staff make the final decision on personnel, but only when he feels it is the right thing to do.

And from the reports, Belichick was willing to wait to get Davis Mills. It wasn't that he was against drafting Mac Jones. There is no reports saying he was against drafting Mac. Just that he was willing to wait for Mills and he listened to his staff in their assessment of Mac. And even then, it could just be Belichick's camp trying to deflect blame.
I'll never understand why you can't understand what I wrote.

Drafting Mac jones in the middle of the second round is entirely different than drafting Mac in the first. Mac failing as a 2nd rounder puts Mac as one of the many post-1st rounders (214 out of 221) who failed in the last 25 years. Mac failing as a first rounder puts him with the other 58% of 1st rounders who failed. Big difference.

Wouldn’t you know it? It seems Bill was responsible for every good decision, and not responsible for every failure. Spinjob Belichick continues his campaign, ongoing since 2017.

I knew Mac Jones wasn't going to be any good before he went to Alabama and I predicted Spirit Airlines would suck before it even opened. And don't get me started on whether Pluto is a planet.

PS The Bandwagon leaves at 1:00 PM sharp!

Attachments

• o-usux-nfl.gif
    o-usux-nfl.gif
    483 KB · Views: 0
I knew Mac Jones wasn't going to be any good before he went to Alabama and I predicted Spirit Airlines would suck before it even opened. And don't get me started on whether Pluto is a planet.

PS The Bandwagon leaves at 1:00 PM sharp!
What does this have to do with Bill’s blame shifting and spin campaigns?

I'll never understand why you can't understand what I wrote.

Drafting Mac jones in the middle of the second round is entirely different than drafting Mac in the first. Mac failing as a 2nd rounder puts Mac as one of the many post-1st rounders (214 out of 221) who failed in the last 25 years. Mac failing as a first rounder puts him with the other 58% of 1st rounders who failed. Big difference.

dude, 1st round quarterbacks fail every year. if you look at quarterbacks who were drafted 15 i'd say that number is even higher percentage. at the time it wasn't a bad pick. drafting a quarterback is a 50-50 proposition. its pure revisionist history on this board to act like everyone knew! in 2021.

just because after 3 years mac looks like a bust doesn't mean waiting to take Davis freaking Mills as our starting QB was the right choice.

imagine had we taken Davis mills (who is worse) than mac Bill may have been fired sooner. I doubt we go 10-6 with davis mills starting.

Yet Bill SUCKS because the guy he picked at 15 flamed out?

I'm trying to follow your logic here, but it's hard.
Also, if you listen to most of the people who played for him, and many who played or coached against him, your declaration that he's not the GOAT coach seems a bit too definitive, you know?
I think you misinterpreted my response to @sb1. I was actually agreeing with him and added that plenty of QBs flame out. If you want I could give you an exact number if we define the term flame out.

There are players who played for him who don't agree with everything he does. Those people get ridiculed when it's brought up here, just like the media reports that show Bill in any negative light. That's a far cry from the nonsense that Brady took here.

As for Bill the GOAT he has the 18th rated winning % all time in the regular season (10th out of HCs with 10 or more years) and 12th in playoff % (9th of 10+ coaches). He also had an unprecedented number of losing seasons (8 of 10) when Brady wasn't winning games for him.

When Bill gets his next loss he'll break a three way tie with Dan Reeves and Jeff Fisher for most losses ever. George Halas, the actual #1, has 17 less losses as Bill in 11 more years.

If you want I can go on.

Last edited:
Whats going to be funny is 2 years down the road from now and the wins are not pouring in as planned.

The Pats players are in the arrested section of the paper because Mayo is a players coach. Fighting and complaining about money "trade me or pay me MF" is common place. The Pats cap is blown up from writing checks.

Its what you wanted. Its all good.
Define "pouring in." Would more than 4 wins out of 17 games count?

All I wanted was Bill out of here and I'm willing to live with whatever comes next.

Statistics are like prisoners - they'll tell you whatever you want if you torture them enough.

Pre-salary cap, the NFL had super teams that stayed together. Best GM was the guy with the fattest checkbook; best coach was the guy with the best GM.

Look at the Steelers Superbowl rosters - pretty much the same team. Same with the Dolphins in their glory days.

Shula had the best QB in the league for years and never won it with him.

Bill is certainly in the conversation, along with one or two others.

EDIT: And let me add...game planning beat the Rams in 2001. Faulk was shocked by McGinnest.

BB was also the only coach who figured out how to shut down Peyton Manning, year after year - if BB was coaching the Colts at the turn of the century, they would have had a dynasty. Nobody shut down those Colts except the Patriots. They rolled up the score on everyone, except the Patriots.

BB is the only coach who would have goaded Carroll in those last critical seconds, and he had worked the team all week on the very play that got Butler the chance. Everyone thought he was making a mistake in not calling a time-out.

Defense beat the Rams.
Preparation for a long halftime played a huge role in beating the Falcons.
He won a Superbowl without a secondary made of band-aids.

All that stuff matters...tiny details (Brady just talked about the preparation) made the difference. I was at the Superbowl after-party following the game where Chatham clobbered the streaker. He was asked if he was shocked to see that guy running down the field. He answered something like "Nah, I play for Belichick. We watched film of that guy all week." (I hope I'm remembering this right). That's a joke, sure, but it speaks to what Belichick was all about. Details, putting in the work, sacrificing for the littlest of edges that might make a difference. That was Brady, too, which is why they worked so brilliantly together,and it's why the Pats won several Superbowls where they didn't have the best roster.

Taking those things for granted isn't remotely fair. New England fans should celebrate the guy (both guys), not attack him, but alas, we live in Felger's world now.
Let it go. He's gone.

There was NO reason to push Brady out. It was stupid. It was ridiculous. They could have made room for him. 2 years at $50m was nothing, which is what Brady asked. It was a horrendously bad decision.
I wonder what would have happened if Brady played his last 3 years here instead of in TB.

dude, 1st round quarterbacks fail every year. if you look at quarterbacks who were drafted 15 i'd say that number is even higher percentage. at the time it wasn't a bad pick. drafting a quarterback is a 50-50 proposition. its pure revisionist history on this board to act like everyone knew! in 2021.

just because after 3 years mac looks like a bust doesn't mean waiting to take Davis freaking Mills as our starting QB was the right choice.

imagine had we taken Davis mills (who is worse) than mac Bill may have been fired sooner. I doubt we go 10-6 with davis mills starting.

You could almost start a league and have a QB for every team if you just used failed first round pick QBs by the Jets and Bills over the year.

The funny thing is some people want the Patriots to go after Baker Mayfield in the offseason and up until this year, he was a failed first round pick.

I wonder what would have happened if Brady played his last 3 years here instead of in TB.
Three first round exits from the playoffs with a poor Oline and substandard WR's. I bet Brady to Henry would have been very successful but ultimately not enough to get them past the first round.

If you thought Mac was pissed with Patricia/Judge, can you imaging how mad Brady would have been with their incompetence.

Now that I think about it, would BB even have tried the Patricia/Judge experiment if Brady was here instead of Mac?

You could almost start a league and have a QB for every team if you just used failed first round pick QBs by the Jets and Bills over the year.

The funny thing is some people want the Patriots to go after Baker Mayfield in the offseason and up until this year, he was a failed first round pick.
Some guys bloom late, not many be maybe his situation when he was drafted wasn't good for him.

Some guys bloom late, not many be maybe his situation when he was drafted wasn't good for him.

I think Mayfield is a product of having a lot of talent around him. He has two 1,000 yard receivers. And the receivers behind them aren’t bad. I think if Mayfield played here this year, he would have sucked.

What in the world kind of response is this?
I said 58% of 1st rounders fail. 2% of 2nd rounders make it. Why take issue?
The point about Mills isn't that he's the Patriots permanent QB (he is better than Mac though) it's that we didn't waste a 1st rounder on him and could then go back and grab another QB.

There was NO reason to push Brady out. It was stupid. It was ridiculous. They could have made room for him. 2 years at $50m was nothing, which is what Brady asked. It was a horrendously bad decision.
And they have been paying it for it in spades the last 4 seasons and counting ...

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back