Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you think BB will trade Gronk this year?

• Yes

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 95 81.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Gronk wants to go with JAG then trade him. I don't expect Gronk to be traded.

...or if he doesn't think their cap # is worth their play (Vrabel) or if he forsees them being a contractual nightmare (Collins, Moss, Seymour)

There is no contractual nightmare. Gronk is under contract for 2 years for team friendly dollars. I suspect that Gronk believes that he is underpaid.

So, where are we? Does the team want to sign a 3 year extension with Gronk at market rates for the additional 3 years. They would certainly do that with someone who is expected to healthy and is in his prime?

IS it reasonable for the team and Gronk to make a decision about Gronk's future, if Gronk presses the issue?
=======
My BOTTOM LINE is still that I expect the team to throw a few million of additional money to Gronk and expect him to play this season. A new contract could have a 2019 or 2020 large bonus attached to it.

As an ASIDE, the team has given up a lot of leverage by not acquiring a TE in free agency.

I have my doubts that Gronk really wants to retire. That whole thing may have been a heat of the moment thing related to a heartbreaking loss in the Super Bowl.

More like the concussion he got in the AFCCG.

Imagine trading gronk and all were left with is stone hands overpaid Dwayne Allen at TE?

Gronk put up a great season in years, with no injuries, gave his best, caught 2 TD's in SB and the offense was stellar, just for BB to throw the game with that ********. That's a burden that will be on the shoulders of the leaders of this team for a while and make them reconsider some things. Who knows if that was a factor in Solder's decision. I don't think he would leave the area given his son conditions for a couple millions more, he already made money for 4 generations of his family.

The Patriots play 2 seasons, the regular season and the playoffs, every year, and the playoffs are not a shinny new toy like it is for the teams that are never there and make it every 10 years, with no responsibilities. Bill demands a lot, it's stressful, there are injuries and high expectations. It's a cumulative process every year. After this past SB and all the BS about locker room issues and a military regiment going on in Foxboro, I think some players may think that that's only worth if you're getting top dollar. Solder with 2 SB's under his belt may have decided that he only wants to be paid to play "one season", the regular season 16 games and dedicate more time to his family while getting paid another top contract and probably his last.

I'm just throwing **** out there, I know nothing and my laptop keyboard is set on another language so I'm out of spelling check at this moment so forgive any mistake.

I just think a deep rebuild is in order if BB wants to stay in the game for another 5 years (or maybe more if he goes to a role like Coughlin) and he knows that. This past SB and the cumulative effect of all these years was too much. I think even Brady may have had a "oh mannnn F that" moment.

My opinion, I think Gronk will holdout. Maybe not like the players who miss the whole training camp like Bell or Donald, this will be decided early on, but there will be a bit of stress coming from the Gronk camp in the next months.

There is no contractual nightmare. Gronk is under contract for 2 years for team friendly dollars. I suspect that Gronk believes that he is underpaid..

If Gronk is demanding a pay increase and the team says no that is a different contractual nightmare.

So, where are we? Does the team want to sign a 3 year extension with Gronk at market rates for the additional 3 years. They would certainly do that with someone who is expected to healthy and is in his prime?

IS it reasonable for the team and Gronk to make a decision about Gronk's future, if Gronk presses the issue?
=======
My BOTTOM LINE is still that I expect the team to throw a few million of additional money to Gronk and expect him to play this season. A new contract could have a 2019 or 2020 large bonus attached to it.

As an ASIDE, the team has given up a lot of leverage by not acquiring a TE in free agency.

Agree 100%

If there is a Goodfellas 2 and hes a bad-ass mob assassin I might see it.
:p

I could see him in Expendables 4. He could be in a Deadpool like role as well, but no way he could carry a franchise.

The more I think about it, anything Ryan Reynolds does, Gronk could do.

I could see him in Expendables 4. He could be in a Deadpool like role as well, but no way he could carry a franchise.

The more I think about it, anything Ryan Reynolds does, Gronk could do.

You are wrong on so many levels.

Gronk trying to act is wooden and bland.

You are wrong on so many levels.

Gronk trying to act is wooden and bland.
We're talking about the same Ryan Reynolds that was in Green Lantern, right? I don't think anyone would mistake Reynolds for Deniro, and that probably includes Reynolds himself. :D

Steve Stiffler=Gronk

There's lots of bad actors out there that are very successful.

It’s really a tough spot Gronk is putting the team in...obviously he is a generational talent, but if BB begins to question a player’s commitment we all know what happens. Problem is...what team in their right mind would give up a 1 or even a high 2 for a player you aren’t sure will play? Or even play more than a year or two?

I just want Gronk to make his decision whatever that may be

True. The Pats certainly didn't "send a signal" to Gronk and his agent that they were ready willing to "move on" a la Amendola v. Welker (different situation, but a similar type of leverage/message-sending game).

OTOH, it wasn't as if there were a ton of great FA options on the market at a reasonable price. Something I'm sure Gronk's agent understood.

The only time trading Gronk makes sense is if it's for a first rounder and he's thinking about retiring next year. That being said, why would a team offer up its first round pick for a guy that has openly contemplated retirement?
Great post. You're exactly right.

It's sort of, if you squint hard enough, analogous to Josh Gordon's situation over the last few years. If you're a Browns/Pats fans, you see a supremely talented player, but are maybe (begrudgingly) willing to trade the player if you get a huge return. "This guy is way too talented -- if you're going to pry him away, be prepared to pay a premium! Otherwise we'll gladly hold on to him. Sure, he might [relapse/retire], but if stays around the rewards are huge."

If you're a fan of the team interested in trading for Gordon/Gronk, you suddenly hum a different tune. "Well, frankly, his [substance abuse / constantly rumblings of retirement] really hurt this value. We can trade for him, but given the uncertainty I'm only willing to acquire him at a reduced value. It's only fair."

Pats fans when concocting hypothetical Josh Gordon trades: "yeah, I'll take a flyer for a 7th round pick!"
Pats fans when concocting hypothetical Rob Gronkowski trades: "okay, sure -- multiple first round picks."

Obviously this is an apples-to-oranges comparison just for ****s and giggles.

We're talking about the same Ryan Reynolds that was in Green Lantern, right? I don't think anyone would mistake Reynolds for Deniro, and that probably includes Reynolds himself. :D

Steve Stiffler=Gronk

There's lots of bad actors out there that are very successful.

Ryan Reynolds carries entire movies

he wasn't the issue in green lantern.

Maybe go watch some of his other non-blockbuster movies(Buried, The Voices, Mississipi Grind)

I think the big issue here is you think The actor that plays Steve Stiffler, is ACTUALLY LIKE STEVE STIFFLER. He's not. I don't think you understand the base level idea that is Acting.

If gronk want's to act like a frat boy, those are the only roles he's going to get and its going to be a really poor career.

Look at a guy like Dave Bautista. He's a "meat head" right? heres the thing, he's not. He's just a regular Jacked dude, that has talent. Gronk has not displayed ANY acting talent outside of just playing himself.

There's a reason Gina Carano has struggled transitioning into films from MMA, shes getting better but shes still pretty wooden.

Ryan Reynolds carries entire movies

he wasn't the issue in green lantern.

Maybe go watch some of his other non-blockbuster movies(Buried, The Voices, Mississipi Grind)

I think the big issue here is you think The actor that plays Steve Stiffler, is ACTUALLY LIKE STEVE STIFFLER. He's not. I don't think you understand the base level idea that is Acting.

If gronk want's to act like a frat boy, those are the only roles he's going to get and its going to be a really poor career.

Look at a guy like Dave Bautista. He's a "meat head" right? heres the thing, he's not. He's just a regular Jacked dude, that has talent. Gronk has not displayed ANY acting talent outside of just playing himself.

There's a reason Gina Carano has struggled transitioning into films from MMA, shes getting better but shes still pretty wooden.
I’m actually surprised at Bautista’s career. He’s gotten some big time, lucrative roles.

...or if he doesn't think their cap # is worth their play (Vrabel) or if he forsees them being a contractual nightmare (Collins, Moss, Seymour)

We will never know for sure, but I thought Collins might be freelancing in an effort to showcase his skills in a contract year, affecting game plans as a result. They were not going to pay him what he was going to get, so that, too.

if the Pats trade him I hope Brady retires

I don't want to see him kill himself trying to drag this team into the postseason

I’m actually surprised at Bautista’s career. He’s gotten some big time, lucrative roles.

The range he showed as Drax in GOTG opened a ton of doors for him.

if the Pats trade him I hope Brady retires

I don't want to see him kill himself trying to drag this team into the postseason

we won the superbowl 2 years ago without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back