PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Because hyperbole is mind-numbing when it becomes "truth"...

not true........folks hate Cam because he's Cam......plenty of people wanted Stidham and/or <insert QB name> instead of Newton
People hate him because of what he did on the field.

I'm defending him but I'd like to judge him under normal circumstances. I'm glad they brought him back. We'll see how it goes.
I’d like to not. I’d like to have a better QB to judge under current circumstances. The issues he has that will hold this team back we’re glaringly apparent.
It’s not about Newton’s opportunity, it’s about the team winning.
It would be nice and fair and all to see Stidham under normal circumstances, but he hasn’t earned it either. It just doesn’t work that way, newton is a bottom if the barrel qb. Wasting a season to see if he can be a little bit better is a terrible idea.

Last edited:
He deserves to be sh#t on. He was THAT bad. I’m not sure what you expect. Terrible players get criticized.
Newton, right now, is QB1 on this team. Maybe they're hiding something with Stidham, but if they are, it's a world class hide-and-seek victory. The only possibilities currently in the league to take over QB1 are Garoppolo and now Bridgewater, and both remain under contract to other teams, and with BIG salaries.

I give it less than 50% for Jimmy to come here, less than half that for Bridgewater. And if BB drafts a QB, it'll be the 4th (at least) off the board, adn the odds of that guy starting seem pretty damned remote.

Given all that, Cam Newton is almost certainly going to be the QB of the Patriots this year. Is the whole year going to be people taking a sh#t? The first time someone makes a "rubber pellet" joke, it's funny (maybe even the first 50 times for some people), but then it becomes juvenile.

The first time someone posts that they hope Jimmy G doesn't get injured flying to New England, it's a little bit clever. The 50th time is 7th grade.

As I said in the beginning, I prefer pocket passers (I'd prefer Jimmy to Cam). And I knew I would take some heat (as Hurley stated in his piece when he posted it) for simply reminding people on this board that Newton didn't throw every pass into the dirt and that, you know, there were several other factors truly working against the guy last year.

So, again, is every thread this year going to be a sh*tshow? One big Game Day thread on the whole board? Yippee!

Brady would have had last years team at 11-5 worst case.
This year's team was worse than the one he took to 4-5 over the last nine games in 2019, against weak competition, and were lucky to get out with wins against the Eagles and the Cowboys.

The team broke when they played the Ravens in 2019. They never looked remotely good again. I don't know what about the 2020 team, without Hightower, Chung, Van Noy, Collins, Shelton, without GIlmore for a lot of games and without Edelman for most of the season, without the one game with Brown, the few games with Gordon, the couple of games with Sanu, with White's season being completely disrupted by tragedy - I don't know what you see in the 2020 Patriots that leads you to believe that 2020 would have been "11-5 worse case," when a better version, fighting for and into the playoffs the previous year, went 4-5 when it mattered, particularly given the tougher schedule in 2020, both in competition and in travel (did the 2019 team even change time zones?).

So we'll agree to disagree there.

Agree. So many on this site forget how anemic the offense was in 2019, with Jules for the entire season, save for a handful of games, versus a weaker schedule. An 11-5 for the Pats in 2020 with Brady is absurd, for many reasons.

Oh come on. No one is saying that at all.

Newton gets absolutely sh#t on on this board every time his name comes up. Same guys with the same sentences they somehow think are jokes.

What is really interesting is the dismissive (actually hopeful) attitude that things don't improve in 2021.

Although that's more directed toward Belichick than Newton.

This year's team was worse than the one he took to 4-5 over the last nine games in 2019, against weak competition, and were lucky to get out with wins against the Eagles and the Cowboys.

The team broke when they played the Ravens in 2019. They never looked remotely good again. I don't know what about the 2020 team, without Hightower, Chung, Van Noy, Collins, Shelton, without GIlmore for a lot of games and without Edelman for most of the season, without the one game with Brown, the few games with Gordon, the couple of games with Sanu, with White's season being completely disrupted by tragedy - I don't know what you see in the 2020 Patriots that leads you to believe that 2020 would have been "11-5 worse case," when a better version, fighting for and into the playoffs the previous year, went 4-5 when it mattered, particularly given the tougher schedule in 2020, both in competition and in travel (did the 2019 team even change time zones?).

I was at the Baltimore game and they were toast. However, the drain was mild compared to 2020.

Newton, right now, is QB1 on this team. Maybe they're hiding something with Stidham, but if they are, it's a world class hide-and-seek victory. The only possibilities currently in the league to take over QB1 are Garoppolo and now Bridgewater, and both remain under contract to other teams, and with BIG salaries.

I give it less than 50% for Jimmy to come here, less than half that for Bridgewater. And if BB drafts a QB, it'll be the 4th (at least) off the board, adn the odds of that guy starting seem pretty damned remote.

Given all that, Cam Newton is almost certainly going to be the QB of the Patriots this year. Is the whole year going to be people taking a sh#t? The first time someone makes a "rubber pellet" joke, it's funny (maybe even the first 50 times for some people), but then it becomes juvenile.

The first time someone posts that they hope Jimmy G doesn't get injured flying to New England, it's a little bit clever. The 50th time is 7th grade.

As I said in the beginning, I prefer pocket passers (I'd prefer Jimmy to Cam). And I knew I would take some heat (as Hurley stated in his piece when he posted it) for simply reminding people on this board that Newton didn't throw every pass into the dirt and that, you know, there were several other factors truly working against the guy last year.

So, again, is every thread this year going to be a sh*tshow? One big Game Day thread on the whole board? Yippee!
If we are underperforming because the QB sucks what do you expect?
If we can’t stop the run, it would be unending run d griping, same with any other piece Of the team. Why should it be different if it’s the QB that sucks?
What do you want, for people to lie and pretend he is good?

There were easily 4 more wins with Brady at QB
You are ignoring 8-0 and counting only games where Brady was so injured he couldn’t practice and his elbow was the size of a grapefruit. As far as the schedule 4 of the 5 losses were to playoff teams including all 3 afc division winners.

There were easily 4 more wins with Brady at QB
You are ignoring 8-0 and counting only games where Brady was so injured he couldn’t practice and his elbow was the size of a grapefruit. As far as the schedule 4 of the 5 losses were to playoff teams including all 3 afc division winners.
And 8 of this last year's losses were against playoff teams. With several games across the country, playing arguably the two best divisions in the NFL (AFC West >>>>>AFC South, NFC West >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NFC East

I'm not ignoring Brady's injury, nor am I ignoring Cam's COVID, the missed practice weeks, the reports of an abdominal injury...the 2020 Patriot's team, particularly after the opt-outs, was a mess, O and D.

Please tell me you aren’t trying to make this about race.

I've no idea what @IllegalContact is doing. You are the first to bring it up explicitly.

But of course race plays into how people feel about Cam. This is the US. Race is part of shaping almost everything. A person really has to have an issue with race to suggest otherwise.

And 8 of this last year's losses were against playoff teams. With several games across the country, playing arguably the two best divisions in the NFL (AFC West >>>>>AFC South, NFC West >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NFC East

I'm not ignoring Brady's injury, nor am I ignoring Cam's COVID, the missed practice weeks, the reports of an abdominal injury...the 2020 Patriot's team, particularly after the opt-outs, was a mess, O and D.
But Tom Brady instead of cam Newton is an enormous difference.
They played 6 games against playoff teams last year not 8.

I've no idea what @IllegalContact is doing. You are the first to bring it up explicitly.

But of course race plays into how people feel about Cam. This is the US. Race is part of shaping almost everything. A person really has to have an issue with race to suggest otherwise.
Wait did you just say someone who treats everyone the same has an issue with race?

That’s what I call projecting....it wasn’t about race as much as his hats, suits, persona....all of which race plays a part in, but it’s not about race.

I can tell you that Newton never checked out on his team

Last edited:
That’s what I call projecting....it wasn’t about race as much as his hats, suits, persona....all of which race pats a part in, but it’s not about race.

I can tell you that Newton never checked out on his team
He kinda did in the SB when he didn’t try to recover a fumble.

Wait did you just say someone who treats everyone the same has an issue with race?
I didn't say that, no.
But in the US, at this time in history, to do the "I don't see color" thing, yeah, that's a dead giveaway to someone who hasn't met their responsibilities as an adult citizen.

Interesting breakdown of some plays from the Rams loss, highlighting what the offense did well and what they didn’t under Cam. His throwing mechanics are inconsistent and leads to missed or near missed opportunities with open receivers.

Whether it’s on him or the offense surrounding him, we can all agree he’ll have to do a lot better than 8 passing touchdowns on a season. The 12 rushing touchdowns are nice but no QB should have more rushing TDs than passing. Can’t rely too much on the legs or it becomes predictable and you get stuffed like in the Seattle game.

I have no issue with him having 28 rushing TDs and 24 passing TDs, but that's not what happened :( It was, as you said, 8 and 12.

I'm with you. Guys on here with a ton of football smarts (and I am sure without as well) are telling me all about how crapping on Cam is hyperbolic. There's only one comment that gives me pause, and that's above where someone mentions that nobody knows the true COVID situation last year. That can be brutal, and he might have been a hero for standing upright, and it might be all over and he might be 2015 Cam again now. So I won't act like I know better.

But sometimes, no matter what super-smart counter you come up with, sometimes there's a number that you just can't shout out of your undergarments, and 8 TDs in a 16 game season is one of them. Yes, 8 PASSING TDs. I know, I know, he's a good runningback or something. To me, that sort of demonstrates that if the problem is COVID, the COVID didn't affect all aspects of his game. Maybe it only affected his arms? I dunno.

It's not like he's "incapable of making a good throw," as Goose puts it, it's that his passing production at QB was terrible. How bad can a supporting cast be, if you can blame them for that level of nothingness?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back