PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Be honest: Do the OT rules to end games need changing?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should both teams get a possession in OT?

• Yes

Votes: 24 16.9%
  • No rules are fine as they are

Votes: 118 83.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My only issue is 10 min in the regular season. To me it was perfect before that. In other words playoff ot is perfect

Big advantage to the second team. They would know if they have to go for all 4th downs - giving them an extra play. This way there is an advantage to going first (win with a TD) and one to going second (get a stop, win with a FG).

This is probably the best explanation for the current overtime rules. I am sure the competition committee has all the stats: odds of coin toss winner punting, FG, TD vs coin toss loser getting the ball, needing FG or TD, but pretty much has 4 downs every time to move the chains.

What would be more interesting is if in overtime you are not allowed to punt the ball. In that case, the team with the better defense may actually elect to defer and possibly get the ball back at very favorable field position if they hold the offense to 4 and out.

This is probably the best explanation for the current overtime rules. I am sure the competition committee has all the stats: odds of coin toss winner punting, FG, TD vs coin toss loser getting the ball, needing FG or TD, but pretty much has 4 downs every time to move the chains.

What would be more interesting is if in overtime you are not allowed to punt the ball. In that case, the team with the better defense may actually elect to defer and possibly get the ball back at very favorable field position if they hold the offense to 4 and out.
What is true is the more likely the teams are to score a TD, the bigger advantage to going first. Yesterday it felt like whoever got the ball would get a TD.

I'd be ok with the OT rules changing. Up here in the Great White North the CFL has an interesting format.

Regular Season:
Two rounds of a 'Mini Game' where you start on the opposing 35 yard-line and attempt to score. If you score a TD you must attempt a 2-point conversion. If you can't match or beat the first team to go you are eliminated, and they only have a max two rounds then it's a tie game.

Playoffs:
I believe they keep going until someone can't match, sort of like a shoot-out.

What is true is the more likely the teams are to score a TD, the bigger advantage to going first. Yesterday it felt like whoever got the ball would get a TD.

But, again, there were two OTs yesterday, and the receiving teams went 1-1.

But, again, there were two OTs yesterday, and the receiving teams went 1-1.
The opposite is also true - the less likely to score a TD, the advantage to going second increases. In a defensive game, might choose to kick off

NO. NOTHING ELSE NEEDS CHANGING, however much any given rule sucks. LEAVE THE DAMN GAME ALONE before they're all flying around on broomsticks trying to capture the Golden Snitch.

Nope.

If the Chiefs won the toss and scored a TD i would of said you should be able to stop them from going 75 yards and scoring a TD not complaining about the rules.

Your flaws are exposed in the post season and the Chiefs defense finally came back to bite them.

The opposite is also true - the less likely to score a TD, the advantage to going second increases. In a defensive game, might choose to kick off

Absolutely. But there would have to be a really stacked deck to make me defer in OT.

it is either what it is now or go back to straight up sudden death........can't turn this into college football

Big advantage to the second team. They would know if they have to go for all 4th downs - giving them an extra play. This way there is an advantage to going first (win with a TD) and one to going second (get a stop, win with a FG).
I have always wanted the rule change, but didn't think about it much and didn't consider how big that 4-down advantage would be for the kicking team.

Still torn though and think it's a little unfair for some to say, "If you can't prevent a TD you deserve to lose" in today's game where the rules so heavily favor the offense.

Maybe, as someone else mentioned, the best way to limit any one side's advantage from the coin toss, is each side gets the ball once regardless, then the next score wins. So offense 1 scores a TD? Then yes offense 2 gets 4 downs to do the same, but then if offense 1 gets just a field goal they win. Would be interesting to see if offense 2 goes for 2pc to win it and not give the ball back.

In a word?? No!

Well BB has deferred in OT against Manning in 2013 at Foxboro.

BB wanted the wind behind him in OT despite a 31-31 score. Pretty gutsy move, but I still question that decision, though it worked out thanks to Welker's muffed punt return.

As long as you make it so that if the one team breaks a tie right before the end of regulation then the other team gets a shot too.

I'm being absurd but basically I don't understand why people treat overtime as though we're entering an entirely new game in a different world in another dimension.

Didn't win the flip and want the ball in OT? Stop the other team.

Pretty soon, the bar will an inch off the ground.

Reid could have doubled Edelman and called one of his 3 timeouts to give his defense a breather.

I told you guys that Reid would ignore the defense and screw up his timeouts.

I think they should make it illegal to move the ball beyond the line of scrimmage without passing it, make it illegal for defenders to cross the line of scrimmage, get rid of special teams, and make passes shorter than 15 yards illegal.

I mean if you're going to continue making reactive rules to the Patriots' success why not go all in. Plus think about all the big plays!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back