Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Are you worried another SB loss will damage Brady’s legacy?

• Yes

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • A little

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • No

Votes: 160 92.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see some talk here and elsewhere that if the Pats lose on Sunday than it won’t be so bad because then Brady can’t get a 4th SB loss tying the record on this category.

The haters (tm) will talk and yuk it up if it happens but I think there is zero impact to his legacy and GOAT status if he loses Sunday or two weeks so it’s interesting to see even a few Pats fans feel this way. Just wanted to see how many here really do share that opinion.
How can finishing first the most be tainted by also finishing second the most?
Are you saying 5-0 in SBs and 5-8 in conf championships is better than 5-4 and 9-4?

Are you saying the guy who loses this weekend should be looked upon as better than the guy who wins this weekend then loses in the Sb?

It really is the most ignirant argument that exists.

Magic Johnson was 5-4 in the Finals. Does anyone care about the 4 losses? Nope.

5 is still more than any other QB, hell more than all but a few franchises. I don’t know why he would get more credit if he crapped out in the AFCCG or went one and done than winning the AFC.

His legacy or any QBs legacy is never hurt and only benefited by making the super bowl. I understand the compulsion to have a better win/loss ratio in the the game, but that comes from incorrect human intuition. The same faulty intuition that screams at us 'don't change the door you picked at the beginning even though one of the other 2 was just opened and shown to have a goat behind it!'

I think QBs get too much credit as it is. Ask Brady himself, its a team game and he wouldn't be anywhere without a good team around him. That's not only true for any QB but for anyone else in any other position in any team sport. QBs too often win league MVP. Its a popularity contest.

Its bad enough all these rules are being made up to stifle defensive efforts. People act like the QBs are the only ones on the field playing directly against each other. I saw enough times in this "Brady vs Manning rivalry" the QB with the better numbers was on the losing side to know its not all about the QB no matter how "unique" the position supposedly is.

I was legitimately concerned for his legacy when they were down 28-3 against the Falcons. That would've put them at 4-3, and while I still think he would have stayed in the GOAT conversation, getting blown out so badly would have allowed the naysayers some semblance of footing in their counter-arguments.

But then the last third of that game happened and nothing has mattered, nor will matter, since. That comeback was literally the stuff of legends, and Brady ascended for good.

Can we just get past Kansas first than discuss this ?
Oh and before I forget ,,,F#CK ROB PARKER.

well if you hit 500+ yards, 3 TD - zero INT and have a 115 passer rating in a SB you haven't lost the SB, your D# handed it over to your opponent

you have been actually the SB MVP (but for the fact you were on the losing side you didn't got your great SB-performance awarded)

No. Just no. If the Pat's win on Sunday that's 9 Superbowls Brady has gone to, 9! The next closest is 5. Win or lose just getting to a superbowl is a hell of an accomplishment so if anything it ADDS to his legacy IMO.
it also gives us two more weeks of the NFL this year. I love the NFL but it is primarily entertainment to me. The only thing I ever learned from a Steeler fan was he was "comforting" another poster after an AFCCG loss, and he said basically its entertainment, and my team did well enough that there is only one sunday this year that my team is not playing.

So if we get to the Super Bowl, the NFL main purpose for me lives two more weeks.

Now a win of course makes the whole off season glorious, so there is that risk.

well if you hit 500+ yards, 3 TD - zero INT and have a 115 passer rating in a SB you haven't lost the SB, your D# handed it over to your opponent

you have been actually the SB MVP (but for the fact you were on the losing side you didn't got your great SB-performance awarded)
And in your two other losses, you helped give your team the lead with little time left only to be let down by the defense.....

A thread like this come up every year. People were fretting about Brady's legacy before each of the last several Superbowls.. I posted this in the thread preceding the last SB.

The Brilliance of Tom Brady
I posted about a comparison of Brady's and Montana's playoff success level before.

I just updated it to include this year.

The comparison consists of this: assign a score representing how far into the playoffs each takes his team. Average that over the number of years each was the starting QB.

The scoring system consists of assigning a number indicating how many games your team could potentially have won when they exited the playoffs.

For example, win SB -> score = 0, i.e., there are no games left you could have won.

Play in SB but lose -> score = 1, i.e., you could have won that final game.

Lose in Conf Champ -> score = 2, i.e, you could have potentially won that game and won the SB.

Using that system, we find that Montana's career avg. is 1.909. That is, his avg. expected performance for any year is to get to, but lose, the conference championship.

Brady's career average through last year is 1.438. He averages half a round deeper into the playoffs than did Montana.

So Brady's had significantly better success, and for many more years, than Montana.

And, despite losing this year's SB, Brady's score actually improved further, to 1.383, while adding yet another year to the string.

There is simply no way to argue that Montana did better for his team than Brady has done for the Pats.
If the Pats win this SB with Brady at the helm, he will have a score of 1.333. If the Pats lose this SB Brady's score will be 1.389. If, instead, the Pats lose to KC, his score will be 1.444.

Compared to Montana's score of 1.909 any of these secures Brady's legacy as the best SB era QB of them all. Btw, no other SB era QB is worth doing this exercise for. No one comes close to consistently driving his team closer to the ultimate prize than has Brady. His legacy just on aggregate success is beyond secure, it is untouchable.

Debating things like that isn’t worth my time. If you don’t understand the difference between Super Bowl losses and Championshop Game losses we can’t be friends. I know, that’s harsh but I have to draw the line on my friendships somewhere.

OTOH I think a PED bust will torpedo his legacy.
Yeah. That's why I hope to god he has some completely independent lab test the stuff that Snake Oil Guerrero gives him.

How can finishing first the most be tainted by also finishing second the most?
Are you saying 5-0 in SBs and 5-8 in conf championships is better than 5-4 and 9-4?

Are you saying the guy who loses this weekend should be looked upon as better than the guy who wins this weekend then loses in the Sb?

It really is the most ignirant argument that exists.
Pretty sure that's not his argument. It is, however, the perspective of millions of low IQ non-Patriots fans.

Anyone who says that is an idiot... this is all icing on a 19 tier cake. I want to go to every Super Bowl.

I just don't want to see him lose another one. Last year almost killed me. I'm so sick of these Montana "4-0!!!" mother ****ers

Even if TB could win 10 more they would still not go away. If they insist on brushing aside Montana's failed-to-reach seasons in defense of their illusion of perfection, they're incurable fools and should be ignored.

I find it hilarious that people use records in championship games as a measuring stick. It is so counterintuitive.

To the average Joe, Brady being 5-4 in Super Bowls is worse than Montana being 4-0? It makes zero sense.

Montana played 15 seasons. So his record to me is 4-0-11. I count getting there and losing ahead of not making it that far. Same argument I use for NBA players. Brady is 5-3-9.

OTOH I think a PED bust will torpedo his legacy. Extremely unlikely that will happen.

His legacy is set imo.

He could just have the PEDs delivered to Ashley Manning.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
Magic Johnson was 5-4 in the Finals. Does anyone care about the 4 losses? Nope.

I guarantee you if he was 5-0, more people would argue him over Jordan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back