PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB: "The Competition At WR Is As Good As It's Been Since I've Got Here"

Status
Not open for further replies.

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score

Quite a statement, particularly as it seems the competition is for the 5th spot only presumably, assuming Edelman-Amendola-Hogan-Mitchell take the first four spots. Still, it says a lot about the depth which is a positive.

Given the DIRTH of WR talent over the years to have a team THIS deep in NFL quality WR's is an embarrassment of riches. Unfortunately for them it also comes in a year where there will be TWO TE's to feed, plus the necessity to carry 3 QB's and Matthew Slater, so there are, at best, only 5 jobs open, and 3 are locks (4 if you count the rookie). And that might even shrink again when Brady comes back. Don't forget that both Gronk and Bennett have the ability to go wide, which further shrinks the need for WR's.

This isn't much of a "superstar" team, but it IS a team with a lot of very good talented players, so competition will be severe over the next 5 weeks. I would be willing to bet that when the final roster cuts are made, more former Pats will eventually get pick up by other teams, than any other team in the league.

...and two of the three main targets are the TEs (with JE).

I personally don't think Danny A is a 100 percent lock.
More like 70 percent I would say.

Martin, Washington, Lucien, Dobson, Carter, and Harper all battling for 1 spot..

Anybody know who, on that list, is PS eligible, other than Lucien?

Martin, Washington, Lucien, Dobson, Carter, and Harper all battling for 1 spot..
I can't imagine Martin not making it, he was pretty good when they actually let him play and didn't call bs OPI on every big catch. I think Harper is just another preseason superstar, nothing special.

Brady's suspension is going to make evaluations a little tougher though I would think. If a guy gels really well with Jimmy but not with Brady, do you cut someone else to give Jimmy the best chance to succeed (knowing you'll lose a potentially good target for Brady later), or do you base it solely on who has chemistry with Brady and take your chances with the first four games? Probably the latter, but it does add a factor that isn't normally there in camp.

Dola has been injury prone since he's been here and also under performed based on Salary. The cheaper alternatives might be just as good. I also think K Martin is not a Lock he doesn't bring much to the table as a WR.

I can't imagine Martin not making it, he was pretty good when they actually let him play and didn't call bs OPI on every big catch. I think Harper is just another preseason superstar, nothing special.

What "IF" Harper made the dreaded Second here Jump???

How hilarious that I just said this in the Day 4 thread (and have since TC started). It is a crowded position, which is great for so many reasons, not the least of which being it'll push some of the young guys to become that much better. I love training camp. I can't believe there was a time in my younger days when I couldn't care less about anything until week 1. :eek:

I'm listening to 98.5 and they're saying how Brady has been spending a lot of extra time with Dobson and how encouraging he's been. That's encouraging. Maybe if the GOAT shows some confidence in him consistently, then Dobson will find the confidence he's seemingly lost in himself.

Last edited:
What if he just freakin hung on to the ball? :mad:

or just let it go ...
(and maybe we should as well)

-

Anybody know who, on that list, is PS eligible, other than Lucien?

Harper, Carter, Lucien (and realistically they are playing for this spots)
& Mitchell of course (but i doubt they would risk waiving him)
here you can look for yourself (you have it under “sticky threads“ as well)
2016 New England Patriots eligible for the practice squad

-

They might start with Danny on PUP and open another spot for first weeks.
Most probable there are Martin, Washington, Dobson for 5th spot
Harper, Carter, Lucien for PS
if everyone stays healthy ...

Last edited:
could we carry 7 wr this year? We can certainly keep someone an extra 4 games since Brady won't count vs 53.

And you'd be about 70-100 percent wrong, barring something catastrophic.:D

Last edited:
Dola has been injury prone since he's been here and also under performed based on Salary. The cheaper alternatives might be just as good. I also think K Martin is not a Lock he doesn't bring much to the table as a WR.
Sorry, Patsfan2. I had to hit the disagree button, which I normally don't do. But this post kind of irked me (and I really mean no disrespect to you, buddy). But it seems you and Chris are having selective memory. Amendola was perhaps the MVP of the 2014 playoffs and he was Brady's guy when we lost so many weapons last season and when LaFell seemingly forgot how to play receiver in our offense. He ran back punts very well too (among the leaders in average yards). Never mind how many clutch catches he's made in critical situations since he got here (something Welker failed to do) and has never dogged it, even when he was playing a diminished role early in '14 (something Moss did when he became unhappy). Oh, and he's an awesome downfield blocker. The guy is the Kevin Faulk of wide receivers for us, and that's not hyperbole. He does EVERYTHING asked of him.

If we're being objective, we have to see that he's not any more injury prone than Julian Edelman has been. I suppose he should be cut too? C'mon. Was his original deal a bit much? Sure, I'll give you that. But I could argue the team should have never tried to make him Welker. When he is able to play his niche, he's almost just as important to the whole as anyone else. Please let's not under value someone who has been consistent and made important, game winning plays for this team many times. He's not as explosive as Jules and doesn't change the complexion of an offense like Gronk. He's not the biggest guy either. But what he brings to the team is a versatility and grit every championship team needs. And he has a clutch factor about him that few players possess. You need guys who can do the dirty work and he's exactly that. Not everyone needs to put up huge numbers to be valuable to the winning process. Look at any championship team in just about any sport and you'll find an Amendola on it.

Last edited:
Sorry, Patsfan2. I had to hit the disagree button, which I normally don't do. But this post kind of irked me (and I really mean no disrespect to you, buddy). But it seems you and Chris are having selective memory. Amendola was perhaps the MVP of the 2014 playoffs and he was Brady's guy when we lost so many weapons last season and when LaFell seemingly forgot how to play receiver in our offense. He ran back punts very well too (among the leaders in average yards). Never mind how many clutch catches he's made in critical situations since he got here (something Welker failed to do) and has never dogged it, even when he was playing a diminished role early in '14 (something Moss did when he became unhappy). Oh, and he's an awesome downfield blocker. The guy is the Kevin Faulk of wide receivers for us, and that's not hyperbole. He does EVERYTHING asked of him.

If we're being objective, we have to see that he's not any more injury prone than Julian Edelman has been. I suppose he should be cut too? C'mon. Was his original deal a bit much? Sure, I'll give you that. But I could argue the team should have never tried to make him Welker. When he is able to play his niche, he's almost just as important to the whole as anyone else. Please let's not under value someone who has been consistent and made important, game winning plays for this team many times. He's not as explosive as Jules and doesn't change the complexion of an offense like Gronk. He's not the biggest guy either. But what he brings to the team is a versatility and grit every championship team needs. And he has a clutch factor about him that few players possess. You need guys who can do the dirty work and he's exactly that. Not everyone needs to put up huge numbers to be valuable to the winning process. Look at any championship team and you'll find an Amendola on it.

Amendola has incredible hand-eye coordination, and may have the surest hands on the team.

Amendola has incredible hand-eye coordination, and may have the surest hands on the team.
That catch over the middle in his first regular season game with us against Buffalo late was incredible. Clutch. It's why we eventually won that game. What about the fourth down catch against Denver in the regular season last year deep in our own territory? Clutch. He held on to a ridiculous catch against the Eagles (if memory serves) that helped us have a chance to win that game last year on third and long ( I believe we eventually scored on that drive). Clutch. The guy makes plays when they matter most especially. I'll take a guy who catches four passes in a game when two are clutch over a guy who catches 15 but drops the key pass any day of the week...NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER ABOUT IT.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back