PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Losing Edelman and Amendola may be the biggest change for Brady in years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score

As long as I've known Brady, he's always had a possession receiver to make plays underneath and serve as that vital cog in the Patriots offense. That doesn't just include Wes Welker, but also Troy Brown and Deion Branch.

While the three remaining pure WRs (Hogan, Cooks, Dorsett) all can be lined up in different ways, their biggest skillset has been their downhill speed - rather than their lateral quickness. Each of them are capable of making big plays downfield (each averaging 15 yards or more per reception last season). Even Gronk, before going down with his injury, averaged a whopping 21.6 yards per reception last season.

I am confident that with time, these four deep threat weapons will adjust to filling in the void left by Edelman. Amendola may return soon enough, but he's suffering from more than just a concussion.

Danny has chronic knee issues. I'd rather the Pats let him heal and rest (so he's available for the postseason) than bring him back prematurely.

In the meantime, the players most likely to be a stop-gap measure are the 3rd-down running backs. I can't emphasize this enough....Josh McDaniels has to find a way to utilize the backs in the passing game, particularly James White, Dion Lewis, and to a lesser extent, Rex Burkhead. They may not have the same route-running ability as Amendola, but they are the most elusive players left on the team. In the right circumstances, they can be matchup nightmares who can both run out of the backfield, or be deployed against slower linebackers in space.

GO PATS!

Last edited:
hogan's deep speed was something realized last year......prior to that, he was always very much a possession type WR

I agree that the key to the offense now is the running backs. We can line them up all over and have them run the entire route tree if needed. White, Lewis, and Burkhead can essentially become "slot" receivers for the time being if needed. I'm also hoping we just run the ball more with 2 and 3 TE sets and pass less. Maybe Jacob Hollister will be active now though to add another passing option?

The offense has to change (or evolve) anyway. Other teams are getting better at developing strategies for clogging the middle on Brady, and disrupting the timing of the routes he likes to have his receivers run.

I think it'll be one of the most challenging adjustments that Brady is going to have to make in his career.

In the meantime, the players most likely to be a stop-gap measure are the 3rd-down running backs. I can't emphasize this enough....Josh McDaniels has to find a way to utilize the backs in the passing game, particularly James White, Dion Lewis, and to a lesser extent, Rex Burkhead.

This is pretty much the biggest failure from the KC game. RBs combined for 4 catches for 38 yards.

Maybe BB/McDaniels out thought themselves? Obviously without Edelman/Mitchell KC will expect the RBs to be more involved in the passing game, therefore we will not involve them!!!:confused:

I think it'll be one of the most challenging adjustments that Brady is going to have to make in his career.

No doubt. This season especially..... as injury prone and banged up as Amendola is, it's hard to imagine a scenario where you'd want him to be your primary wide receiver - taking ferocious hits up the middle of the field and being the team's primary punter :confused:

Whether it's Gronk, Hogan, Cooks, or White. You name it...someone has to to step up.

I wouldn't be surprised if Malcolm Mitchell (should he be activated off IR) makes an impact this year.

Last edited:
I agree that Welker followed by Edelman just flowed nicely and necessary for Brady's style. Amendola hasn't been quite there as a 100% replacement for Welker or Edelman. But with Amendola out with a concussion and constant knee injury it will be tough for Brady to have the same success. Using backs doesn't give Brady the quick release that is necessary for Brady's style.

Hogan has to be a different receiver this year - not running streak routes, but the shorter routes. He showed improvement in this late last year, but needs to do more this year.

Gronk and Hogan are fine on short and intermediate routes. White is certainly also a force on these routes. The other RB's and TE's might also bear some of this load. The hope is that Dorsett will be able to take one defender with him downfield.

Gronk's stats on average yards per completion are misleading. He is primarily an intermediate threat with the highest amount of YAC's in the league.

All the above is without Mitchell, Amendola, and any other receiver not now on the 53. Absent further injuries, this offense will still be one of the best in the NFL. I understand that it may take several games before the offense clicks in top form.

Last edited:
Danny isnt reliable. The moment he became the #1 slot wr, i knew it would be a matter of time before him being sidelined.

I was hoping for more than one game

Gronk
Hogan
White
DLew
Cooks
Gillislee
Rex
Allen
Dorsett
Healthy o-line
Brady

I'm sorry but if this offense is not scoring 30 a game by the end of October then the problem runs much deeper than DA.

Brady is the GOAT, after this week in practice he will know who he trusts (expect a lot of James White) and he will have a great game

I don't know if Hogan has the initial, quick burst necessary to effectively run those routes.
I am not sure of that either. I hope so. He does have the needed strength to take the pounding I think.

As long as I've known Brady, he's always had a possession receiver to make plays underneath and serve as that vital cog in the Patriots offense. That doesn't just include Wes Welker, but also Troy Brown and Deion Branch.

While the three remaining pure WRs (Hogan, Cooks, Dorsett) all can be lined up in different ways, their biggest skillset has been their downhill speed - rather than their lateral quickness. Each of them are capable of making big plays downfield (each averaging 15 yards or more per reception last season). Even Gronk, before going down with his injury, averaged a whopping 21.6 yards per reception last season.

I am confident that with time, these four deep threat weapons will adjust to filling in the void left by Edelman. Amendola may return soon enough, but he's suffering from more than just a concussion.

Danny has chronic knee issues. I'd rather the Pats let him heal and rest (so he's available for the postseason) than bring him back prematurely.

In the meantime, the players most likely to be a stop-gap measure are the 3rd-down running backs. I can't emphasize this enough....Josh McDaniels has to find a way to utilize the backs in the passing game, particularly James White, Dion Lewis, and to a lesser extent, Rex Burkhead. They may not have the same route-running ability as Amendola, but they are the most elusive players left on the team. In the right circumstances, they can be matchup nightmares who can both run out of the backfield, or be deployed against slower linebackers in space.

GO PATS!

Love Danny but I don't think he will be back with us next year.

I don't know if Hogan has the initial, quick burst necessary to effectively run those routes.

Or make those sharp, shifty cuts Edelman does so well....especially when he has to pick up those extra yards to make his defenders miss

Said as much when Edelman first went to IR...

This offense may need to go through an adjustment period in the first couple of weeks. Brady's first read on a lot of plays is Edelman. Whether that's changed with the arrival of Cooks, I can't profess to know. But going by how the passing attack has been run since 2013, Edelman's loss may force the passing attack to have to adjust. Of course, the Patriots have the depth to cover it more this year than in most other years. But don't be surprised if we see slow starts in the first couple of weeks until the offense finds its groove through the air.

...except that depth has now taken even more of a hit. The Saints defense is not good, but don't be surprised if the offense throws together another clunker again in New Orleans where Brady makes just enough plays to win. This is going to take a little bit but, eventually, Brady will either figure it out or the Pats will make a trade to give him that option.

If DA is inactive, I can definitely see Jacob Hollister playing this week and possibly making a difference in the middle of the field. With Gronk and Hollister, that should be enough to case some havoc coverage wise opening up the rest of the field.

Anybody know what those two games were?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft