PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB on how long he wants to coach

I was a kid when we brought in Drew, Glenn, and Curtis Martin but I remember it actually started to be cool to like the Patriots for the first time in my lifetime. I always wore my Patriots stuff since I can remember but a lot of kids were Cowboys fans and made fun of how bad we were at the time. Bledsoe and Parcells started to give us some relevancy and then adding Curtis Martin and Terry Glenn started to make us a talented young team. Sure that core didn't last long or win a super bowl but I will always love those mid to late 90's Patriots teams.
Me too. Great memories. I was at the 96 AFCCG at the old stadium and I've never been part of a crowd as loud as it was when Otis scored on the scoop 6. Not before or since. That was awesome. The SB loss to GB still hurts even if it was over 25 years ago...

Never heard of David, but House Tyrell of Highgarden was quite powerful, and Margaery was a babe.
game-of-thrones-season-3-margaery-tyrell.jpg
This also cannot be disputed.

I want him to go for Shula's record:

Shula: 347-173-6 in 526 games coached.

Belichick: 321-156-0 in 477 games coached.

49 games to go: 26-17-6 to tie it.

3 more seasons should do it if we win one playoff game the next three seasons (meaning 11 wins in the playoff season...and 15 for the other two).

Update (after week 2, 2022):

Shula: 347-173-6 in 526 games coached.

Belichick: 322-157-0 in 479 games coached.

47 games to go: 25-16-6 to tie it.

Kraft wanted Glenn. Parcels was pissed over the choice
NO, that's not exactly true. Kraft wanted to draft the guy who was at the top of the Pats draft board at the time of their pick. That just happened to be Glenn. Kraft just wanted for "mr. all about me" to follow the PROCESS. BUT if you want to take a shot at Kraft for picking Glenn, then do it because history will tell us that he made the right pick. The Pats don't get to the Superbowl without him, and he had a MUCH better NFL career than the guy Parcells wanted, whoever he was.

A lot of making fun of Terry Glenn.

I don’t think this younger generation of posters remember him to well. He was an elite talent who could make difficult catches look easy and impossible catches look difficult. He had speed, separation, and an unmatched vertical leap

Talent wise in his prime he is easily better than any Wr on our current roster

I also believe he is still the best Wr we have drafted since 96

Glenn and Martin…boy do we miss young talent in premium positions like this. Instead we’re stuck with Harris and Parker.
Where was Glenn picked? Oh that's right, he was the 7th pick in the draft. How many times have the Pats drafted that high?

The only thing fans can rightfully criticize is that Bill pushed Brady outside of NE while Brady was still Brady. That's a fact Bill can never live down but it doesn't mean his entire coaching career should be disparaged, he will still retire as the GOAT.
I agree with everything you wrote about the Brady vs Bellichick non-issue, but this. Brady was NEVER going to resign here after the 2019 season. The so called complaint that we wouldn't give him a 2 year contract OR that we didn't pay him enough money were all blue smoke and mirrors to make it LOOK like the Pats pushed him out.

He put his house up for sale well before they were in "serious negotiations". The Pats had gone all out from 2014 to 2019 doing everything they could to support Brady's offense. AND they were rewarded with 4 superbowls during that stretch. However they were tapped out against the cap, and had a roster that was CLEARLY not going to compete for a championship in 2020. So WHY would Brady want to end his last few years on a team that was CLEARLY going to go through a transition phase, when he could go somewhere and compete for a championship, get his 2 years contract AND get paid.

So get over it. Brady left because it was the best decision for Tom Brady and personally I was and am happy for him. The whole Brady vs Bellichick narrative is just that, a media narrative that is just too good for them to ignore.

I agree with everything you wrote about the Brady vs Bellichick non-issue, but this. Brady was NEVER going to resign here after the 2019 season. The so called complaint that we wouldn't give him a 2 year contract OR that we didn't pay him enough money were all blue smoke and mirrors to make it LOOK like the Pats pushed him out.

He put his house up for sale well before they were in "serious negotiations". The Pats had gone all out from 2014 to 2019 doing everything they could to support Brady's offense. AND they were rewarded with 4 superbowls during that stretch. However they were tapped out against the cap, and had a roster that was CLEARLY not going to compete for a championship in 2020. So WHY would Brady want to end his last few years on a team that was CLEARLY going to go through a transition phase, when he could go somewhere and compete for a championship, get his 2 years contract AND get paid.

So get over it. Brady left because it was the best decision for Tom Brady and personally I was and am happy for him. The whole Brady vs Bellichick narrative is just that, a media narrative that is just too good for them to ignore.

this is correct. Brady was never going to put up the same numbers (40 TDs, 5000 yards) had he stayed…Brady looks out for Brady and chose Tampa.

this is correct. Brady was never going to put up the same numbers (40 TDs, 5000 yards) had he stayed…Brady looks out for Brady and chose Tampa.
Thanks for your input Mrs. Jones.

I agree partially but not fully.

I think the way Brady left was good and have never been bothered by it.

I agree that during the 2019 season it was clear Brady was done with NE but I also think had Brady been given a 3 year offer in 2018 instead of a 1 year offer he would have done that.

I disagree with the notion that the cap was strapped because in 2021 the Pats set the record for most guaranteed money spent in an offseason. So a 1 year dip in 20 as a divisional rd playoff team back to a superbowl contender in 21 was not out of question.

Taking money from future seasons was always an option but it requires ownership being cool with setting aside millions of extra dollars is non interest escrow accounts.

Clearly Belicheck and or Kraft did not want to do that in 2020, and Kraft didn't want to that this year as well.

It's easy as fans to ask a billionaire to tie up hundreds of millions of dollars when it's not our money to spend. From a business perspective I can understand why they would want that cash available for other businesses endeavors.

Ultimately it doesn't matter. Things worked out perfect for Brady and we got a franchise QB in Mac. It's celebrations both ways

I agree partially but not fully.

I disagree with the notion that the cap was strapped because in 2021 the Pats set the record for most guaranteed money spent in an offseason. So a 1 year dip in 20 as a divisional rd playoff team back to a superbowl contender in 21 was not out of question

You are just wrong here. In 2020 the Pats spent $1MM on their starting QB and had almost zero cap space. Imagine if they had to spend $25MM on their QB. 2021 allowed the Pats to START to rebuild a talent empty roster with that spending spree. And while they cap strapped again this season, they will have plenty of cap space NEXT year to sign a couple of free agents AND resign some home grown talent.

The Pats also have 6 picks in the top 4 rounds in the draft next year to add to their talent base. The OL looks like it is rounding into shape. The RB situation is good. Both TE's are under contract as well as all the WR's. It's only 2 games, but the D looks very solid and the DB's, who were the biggest question mark haven't allowed more than 220 yds in a game. This COULD be a good team this season with expectations that it would be a GREAT team next year.

NO, that's not exactly true. Kraft wanted to draft the guy who was at the top of the Pats draft board at the time of their pick. That just happened to be Glenn. Kraft just wanted for "mr. all about me" to follow the PROCESS. BUT if you want to take a shot at Kraft for picking Glenn, then do it because history will tell us that he made the right pick. The Pats don't get to the Superbowl without him, and he had a MUCH better NFL career than the guy Parcells wanted, whoever he was.
That's interesting. I never heard that side of the story. Thanks for sharing

NY times has it as Cedric Jones or Duane Clemons.
Kraft: ''O.K., Bill, who do you want?''

Parcells: ''Duane Clemons or Cedric Jones. I want defense.''
I agree with your memory of it. Kraft wasn't as much wanting Glenn as much as he was following the process, which if I recall was Parcells' process. I recall reading/hearing that Kraft was more p!ssed that Parcells had Glenn on the board at #1 available and was going out of order. Kraft in as much told him his process didn't mean chit if in the end he wasn't going to follow it. I recall that the discussion was if Glenn wasn't "the guy" at #1, why the hell was he ranked there? This is where the "she" comments germinated, Parcells was butthurt at Kraft for being Process driven, ultimately leading us to BB and where we are today.

The timeline of the whole thing is very linear.

You are just wrong here. In 2020 the Pats spent $1MM on their starting QB and had almost zero cap space. Imagine if they had to spend $25MM on their QB. 2021 allowed the Pats to START to rebuild a talent empty roster with that spending spree. And while they cap strapped again this season, they will have plenty of cap space NEXT year to sign a couple of free agents AND resign some home grown talent.

The Pats also have 6 picks in the top 4 rounds in the draft next year to add to their talent base. The OL looks like it is rounding into shape. The RB situation is good. Both TE's are under contract as well as all the WR's. It's only 2 games, but the D looks very solid and the DB's, who were the biggest question mark haven't allowed more than 220 yds in a game. This COULD be a good team this season with expectations that it would be a GREAT team next year.
So the Pats didn't set the record in 2021 for most money spent in FA?

In 2020 Brady had a 13.5mil cap hit against the Pats, it was the poison pill to ensure he was either resigned to extension or was a FA.

In 2018 had he been signed for 3 years, and let's say it was done without all the voidable years like the Bucs have done.

Brady's cap hit in 2020 would be 25mil instead of 13.5mil for nothing.

Thuney could have walked freeing up his 14.3mil cap hit and right there you have all the space you need for Brady.

To say the cap wouldn't allow it is a poor cop-out. It was always possible to keep Brady and field a roster by going cap crazy with voidable years like the Bucs are doing.

The difference here is the Glazers were willing to lock up more money today in escrow than Kraft would ever feel comfortable doing.

In addition to 2020, Gilmore had 14mil roster salary that could have been converted to a signing bonus which could have opened up an additional 10mil in cap space during the 2020 season.

The cap can be pushed back for as many years that ownership is willing to pay out in advance.

That's were Kraft has been labeled as cheap. It's not about spending to this year's cap, it's about the amount of money you are willing to leave sitting in Escrow not accruing interest and earning money

You are reading things into his comments that aren’t there. It’s impossible for you or anyone not close to him to know what he is thinking.

For what it’s worth this is what ever coach I’ve known says. They aren’t looking beyond this year, and in many cases when retirement becomes a thought something happens (new player for example) that makes them want to stay another year.
And wtf do you mean about Parcells setting up a successor?
Never change Andy

I agree that during the 2019 season it was clear Brady was done with NE but I also think had Brady been given a 3 year offer in 2018 instead of a 1 year offer he would have done that.
At the end of the day this seems to be BBs biggest mistake. But how do you fault someone for not giving a 40 year old man a 3 year extension 2 years early.

In 2020 Brady had a 13.5mil cap hit against the Pats, it was the poison pill to ensure he was either resigned to extension or was a FA.

In 2018 had he been signed for 3 years, and let's say it was done without all the voidable years like the Bucs have done.

Brady's cap hit in 2020 would be 25mil instead of 13.5mil for nothing.

Thuney could have walked freeing up his 14.3mil cap hit and right there you have all the space you need for Brady.

To say the cap wouldn't allow it is a poor cop-out. It was always possible to keep Brady and field a roster by going cap crazy with voidable years like the Bucs are doing.

The difference here is the Glazers were willing to lock up more money today in escrow than Kraft would ever feel comfortable doing.

In addition to 2020, Gilmore had 14mil roster salary that could have been converted to a signing bonus which could have opened up an additional 10mil in cap space during the 2020 season.

The cap can be pushed back for as many years that ownership is willing to pay out in advance.

That's were Kraft has been labeled as cheap. It's not about spending to this year's cap, it's about the amount of money you are willing to leave sitting in Escrow not accruing interest and earning money
Brady never gave us that option because we didn't give him the extension in previous years.

IMO it all comes down to that BB wouldn't give him an extension through age 45 when Brady was 38,39, & 40 so at age 41 Brady decided he was done here and left after the following season.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back