PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB on how long he wants to coach

Bobby Grier. No one recalls Terry (She/her) Glenn? Definitely not a Big Bill pick.
You're right. Grier took over at the 96 draft and Glenn was in that class along with Bruschi and Milloy. Obviously things went south with Grier as GM after Tuna left.

But I am sure Law, Drew, TJ, Willie were Parcells picks and I believe it was Parcells that signed Vinatieri.

none of us know whether Shula record is important to BB or meaningless
Given the way Shula has treated him, I think it can be inferred.

But you implied that Parcells stuck it out so he could confidently turn it over to his successor. The shape it was in when he left meant nothing to him.

Every coach wants to build the best roster. I don’t think any do it because they are worried about the next guy, they do it because they are trying to win.

Most teams have 4-5 guys from the prior coaches tenure who are pretty good.
I wasn't really trying to say that Tuna wanted to leave the Patriots in a good spot, clearly he showed he wanted the opposite but it just turned out that way with the talent he brought here.

Given the way Shula has treated him, I think it can be inferred.
No way of knowing what’s inside his head. Hating Shula doesn’t mean that record is meaningful to him.

It’s a team Fing sport. So many plays made by other players to help secure wins and super bowls.
Brady is the goat. But he didn’t win all those games himself. He was helped by coaching and the players the coach and GM brought in

So tired of this board
Don't worry, you will not see him anymore on the main board.

You're right. Grier took over at the 96 draft and Glenn was in that class along with Bruschi and Milloy. Obviously things went south with Grier as GM after Tuna left.

But I am sure Law, Drew, TJ, Willie were Parcells picks and I believe it was Parcells that signed Vinatieri.
Everyone criticizes BB's recent drafts - this was Grier's draft in 97. Woof.
View attachment 45179
Grier hit it big in 1996 with Glenn and Milloy with Bruschi being a good reserve. But poor personnel decisions of letting it get to a point they couldn't sign Curtis Martin to letting Sam Gash and Willie Clay go was the beginning of their downfall. Chris Carter as the starting FS in 1999 was horrendous! Then you had the Robert Edwards injury and offensive line issues. Greg Spires was not utilized by Carroll as a 3rd round pick. The drafts and personnel decisions closed their window between 97-99. With that being said, they needed a ton of talent to compete with Jacksonville and Tennessee which nobody saw coming in 1999. Jax was already good, but they went to another level in 99.

It just wasn't meant to be.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
I saw terry Glenn stats and they are insane . Better than Edelman on pure stats basis .

That's a great example for every one of us when it comes to comparing guys we never saw play. You need no further proof stats are for losers than an Edelman/Glen comparison. The Squirrel is a football player's football player. Terry Glenn? "She" cashed checks and put up some numbers.

Brady's 1st td pass went to Glenn

Not sure why this post would be deleted and poster banned. Seems like an opinion that isn't breaking any of the board rules. Weird place.

SmartSelect_20220909_190456_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
I hope the day after Felger jumps from a roof into traffic that BB announces "That's what I was waiting for." and boats off into the foggy distance.

Charley Armey had as much to do with the draft board as Grier did in both 96 and 97. Armey then went to the Rams and helped Vermeil win his one Super Bowl. Grier went down in flames as we all know too well after Kraft picked him over Armey. It didn’t work out but at the time I felt like Kraft had two legit choices and decided to give an opportunity to someone that may not have been considered in previous years in part for possibly the wrong reasons.

Other than the Glenn pick I’d challenge anyone to cite one player in that draft that Tuna objected to. In fact when they drafted Christian Peter and then dumped him for being a rapist it was Tuna that went nuts to Will McDonough about Myra K. interfering.

Kraft had a guy that was under contract for two more seasons telling him he wanted out before the draft. That comes from McDonough’s huge column in 97 giving us “the world according to Will,” which on that topic I’d tend to believe Will (airing Tuna‘s - and his own- grievances; remember that Will and Tuna were both represented by Bob Fraley). Then the same guy is enraged with Kraft when Kraft overruled him on one pick in that draft, Kraft would have been an idiot to not go with the rest of his organization in that situation.

Kraft has made some mistakes over the years but the Glenn decision was the right one for the team at that time. Tuna‘s history at that point was to want out after 4 years. He tried it with the Giants and George Young and Tim Mara wouldn’t let him go to Tampa. Four years later after his second (and final) Super Bowl Tuna waited till BB left and other coaching slots were filled to “retire” and screw over Mara and Young. That was all well known to Kraft when Tuna pulled the same crap with him. He proceeded to quit on the Jets after 3 seasons after Hess died and quit on Dallas after 4 years. Finally he quit the Dolphins after 3 years as GM or whatever his title was. A pretty clear pattern there yet many seem to think Kraft chased him out because that’s what McDonough promoted.

And by the way according to McDonough’s article the day after the 96 draft, Parcels’ pick would have been Duane Clemons and NOT Tony Brackens as I sometimes see here. Brackens was not a good fit for Parcells defense; Coughlin’s defense in Jacksonville where he went in Round 2 was not the same at all as Tuna’s was in New England. Clemons was a JAG who would not have had anywhere close to the impact Glenn had on a team that went to the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
I think that Patricia being involved in FO decisions last season and now as defacto OC is a transition of sorts for his future with the organization. I suppose it'll depend on how he does as OC. If he's successful, I can see him as the future HC. How do we feel about that?

I think that Patricia being involved in FO decisions last season and now as defacto OC is a transition of sorts for his future with the organization. I suppose it'll depend on how he does as OC. If he's successful, I can see him as the future HC. How do we feel about that?
If Patricia succeeds as OC and someone here has a problem with that...then they shouldn't be here. If he is going to be considered for HC then we will see the same negative Nancy's here complaining he is not fit for the job. I however will be open minded about the idea IF he does well as OC. Being an OC and HC are very different gigs but I'll still feel better about it if he has proven he can DC and OC.

Last edited:
This certainly doesn't sound like he's ready to retire:

"Belichick enters the 2022 season as the second-oldest coach in the NFL behind Seattle’s Pete Carroll. This comes well over a decade since Belichick said that “I won’t be like Marv Levy and coaching in my 70s,” back in 2009."

“I wish I hadn’t said that,” Belichick said to Shaugnessy. “I was probably thinking of what I would feel like. Now, there’s what I actually feel like, and those are two different things. That was not one of my better statements.”

BB will stay till he passes Shula
All GOAT’s have an ego and NFL history appeals to him. Being at the top is the frosting on the cake.
I also think with the cap space to spend next season and Mac having 3 years (2 under) the new system designed for him will pay dividends and we will be very competitive. Giving BB a chance to be at the top in 3 years

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back