PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB on how long he wants to coach

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score

As for how long he will stay on the job, Belichick was -- naturally -- a bit evasive with giving a concrete answer.

"I don't really think about it. To me, it's about this year. Worry about next year next year," Belichick told Shaughnessy. "I don't really think about next year or five years from now. I've got a lot of work to do trying to help the team any way I can and make us a good, competitive team, which I think we are. But we've got to prove that."

Glad he thinks they're good. I don't think he says that if he didn't feel that way. Obviously he's right that they have to prove it.

I don't know if I totally buy that he wants to stay on after all into his 70's. Reading between the lines that sounds more like a head coach who knows the finish line on his HOF career is in sight and he just wants to stay for as long as needed for the next Patriots HC to be set up for success, like Parcells did for Pete. I don't see him record chasing. Could be wrong.

I want him to go for Shula's record:

Shula: 347-173-6 in 526 games coached.

Belichick: 321-156-0 in 477 games coached.

49 games to go: 26-17-6 to tie it.

3 more seasons should do it if we win one playoff game the next three seasons (meaning 11 wins in the playoff season...and 15 for the other two).

Last night at the start of the 2nd half, Sean McVay was asked what he expected for the 2nd half. He said the normal, improved play, etc. I turned to my son and said what did you expect him to say, "I expect the Bills to steamroll us this half?"

Glad he thinks they're good. I don't think he says that if he didn't feel that way. Obviously he's right that they have to prove it.

I don't know if I totally buy that he wants to stay on after all into his 70's. Reading between the lines that sounds more like a head coach who knows the finish line on his HOF career is in sight and he just wants to stay for as long as needed for the next Patriots HC to be set up for success, like Parcells did for Pete. I don't see him record chasing. Could be wrong.
You are reading things into his comments that aren’t there. It’s impossible for you or anyone not close to him to know what he is thinking.

For what it’s worth this is what ever coach I’ve known says. They aren’t looking beyond this year, and in many cases when retirement becomes a thought something happens (new player for example) that makes them want to stay another year.
And wtf do you mean about Parcells setting up a successor?

Bill haters be walkin' in like
haters GIF

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF

The closer he gets to Shulas record will spur him to keep going to try to beat it, then retire. I think if disaster strikes with some losing seasons he will just retire and give up the Shula quest. With all the winning the Pats have achieved during this long dynasty, its hard to believe Shula has all those wins.

Bill's coaching record with the Patriots without Thomas Edward Brady starting is 35-35, 35-36 if you include the playoff drubbing last season. If the team finishes on the wrong side of .500 or gets waxed in the first round again (I'm not talking a 7-10 point loss, I'm talking a game like last season, where the Patriots were completely non-competitive and did not belong on the same field as their opponent), then I would really hope Coach Bill would gracefully step away and Krafty Bob will go in a new direction and away from the Belichick coaching system/tree.
Who cares about Shula? seriously. I thought we were about winning seasons not forever chasing a longevity achievement.
It’s a team Fing sport. So many plays made by other players to help secure wins and super bowls.
Brady is the goat. But he didn’t win all those games himself. He was helped by coaching and the players the coach and GM brought in

So tired of this board

It’s a team Fing sport. So many plays made by other players to help secure wins and super bowls.
Brady is the goat. But he didn’t win all those games himself. He was helped by coaching and the players the coach and GM brought in

So tired of this board
Simon Cowell Reaction GIF by America's Got Talent

You are reading things into his comments that aren’t there. It’s impossible for you or anyone not close to him to know what he is thinking.

For what it’s worth this is what ever coach I’ve known says. They aren’t looking beyond this year, and in many cases when retirement becomes a thought something happens (new player for example) that makes them want to stay another year.
And wtf do you mean about Parcells setting up a successor?
The Patriots were a really good team coming off an AFC championship when Pete took over. Parcells drafted Bledsoe, Law, Milloy, Troy Brown, Bruschi, TJ, McGinest, Martin (yeah I know.. but he was still there) and he signed Adam Vinatieri. I loathed how he left as much as anyone but there's no denying he set the foundation for Pete and then BB himself. Also no Tuna meant no BB.

I think BB would like nothing better than to set the next guy up with talent like that.

The Patriots were a really good team coming off an AFC championship when Pete took over. Parcells drafted Bledsoe, Law, Milloy, Troy Brown, Bruschi, TJ, McGinest, Martin (yeah I know.. but he was still there) and he signed Adam Vinatieri. I loathed how he left as much as anyone but there's no denying he set the foundation for Pete and then BB himself. Also no Tuna meant no BB.

I think BB would like nothing better than to set the next guy up with talent like that.
But you implied that Parcells stuck it out so he could confidently turn it over to his successor. The shape it was in when he left meant nothing to him.

Every coach wants to build the best roster. I don’t think any do it because they are worried about the next guy, they do it because they are trying to win.

Most teams have 4-5 guys from the prior coaches tenure who are pretty good.

The closer he gets to Shulas record will spur him to keep going to try to beat it, then retire. I think if disaster strikes with some losing seasons he will just retire and give up the Shula quest. With all the winning the Pats have achieved during this long dynasty, its hard to believe Shula has all those wins.
none of us know whether Shula record is important to BB or meaningless

I think bill will have a leeway of 2 more years. And expectations would be for a playoff win by 2023 . If that's not achieved I could see Kraft looking for an upgrade in coach and QB as well . Mac's main audition would be next year to see if he can carry a talented roster. With free agent spending spree in 2023 and also sizable draft picks I expect us to field a more competitive team next year . So onus is on Mac and Bill to compete and win the division next year from the bills.

This year we should be fighting for a WC spot .

Ummm... Big Bill wasn't shopping for the groceries. Big Bill's words and not mine on why he left the Pats. That's why he left. Big Bill wasn't drafting those players.

Ummm... Big Bill wasn't shopping for the groceries. Big Bill's words and not mine on why he left the Pats. That's why he left. Big Bill wasn't drafting those players.
Who drafted these players?

He doesn't seem particularly tired, old, feeble, broken down, etc., and gets to work with his kids every day. Seems like he has enough vim to keep it going. It might have nothing to do with W/L records, Shula's record, succession planning, Tom Brady's modeling career, etc., but just whether he has the will, spirit and enjoyment to keep going. God bless him if that's the case.

(I don't have real information, I'm just a stranger on the internet typing things I make up in my head)

Bobby Grier. No one recalls Terry (She/her) Glenn? Definitely not a Big Bill pick.
Thanks ... I started following pats in 2007 . I saw terry Glenn stats and they are insane . Better than Edelman on pure stats basis .

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back