PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB on how long he wants to coach

Don't worry, you will not see him anymore on the main board.
Ashley if you've ever had the misfortune of reading any of his posts in The Pub, they're much worse than his posts here. And that's saying something

Belichick has to win playoff games.

That comes from the guy who signs the front of the checks.

No way of knowing what’s inside his head. Hating Shula doesn’t mean that record is meaningful to him.
No. But this -is- 'Who's been wrong more often than Charlie Casserly' Bill we're talking about.

No. But this -is- 'Who's been wrong more often than Charlie Casserly' Bill we're talking about.
Andy's right, we don't know for sure what's in his head but all the greats have an ego and to think he wants to pass Shula is not unreasonable to infer.

That's a great example for every one of us when it comes to comparing guys we never saw play. You need no further proof stats are for losers than an Edelman/Glen comparison. The Squirrel is a football player's football player. Terry Glenn? "She" cashed checks and put up some numbers.
Why do you prefer Terry as She? Am I missing something?

Why do you prefer Terry as She? Am I missing something?
That's what Bill Parcels called him to the media, because he was pissed that they drafted him.
Bill didn't buy his own groceries, and he didn't like it.

Andy's right, we don't know for sure what's in his head but all the greats have an ego and to think he wants to pass Shula is not unreasonable to infer.
I have a feeling that it’s known Bill disliked Shula but I can’t quite recall from what source it comes from. Maybe it was just a group assumption.

The whole “Bill’s record without Brady” routine is so tired because A) it’s a team sport and B) people are so frequently adding in his Cleveland record and **** even earlier than that which is all from last century for gods sake. The man has coached here in New England for over 20 years, we should be able to limit his “record without Brady” to at least this same team.

I can think of three full seasons which apply - 2008 where the team went 11-5 with Matt Cassell despite obviously planning to have Brady that year, 2020 where the team went 7-9 with the corpse of Cam Newton and 2021 where the team went 10-7 with a rookie QB. I would hardly call the above three seasons as a whole poor, especially considering the circumstances of each…

The whole “Bill’s record without Brady” routine is so tired because A) it’s a team sport and B) people are so frequently adding in his Cleveland record and **** even earlier than that which is all from last century for gods sake. The man has coached here in New England for over 20 years, we should be able to limit his “record without Brady” to at least this same team.

I can think of three full seasons which apply - 2008 where the team went 11-5 with Matt Cassell despite obviously planning to have Brady that year, 2020 where the team went 7-9 with the corpse of Cam Newton and 2021 where the team went 10-7 with a rookie QB. I would hardly call the above three seasons as a whole poor, especially considering the circumstances of each…
You forgot 2000 (5-11), which makes him about a .500 coach w/o Brady, in New England. It is what it is. Hopefully he continues to have winning seasons, followed by playoff wins and eventually a division title. How long will that take? I think it depends on how much Mac can develop as a top tier QB, despite it being a team sport.

I want him to go for Shula's record:

Shula: 347-173-6 in 526 games coached.

Belichick: 321-156-0 in 477 games coached.

49 games to go: 26-17-6 to tie it.

3 more seasons should do it if we win one playoff game the next three seasons (meaning 11 wins in the playoff season...and 15 for the other two).
I said this 10 years ago - he's going to coach until he's the winningest coach ever. Shula and his transparent petty jealousy clearly always was a burr under his saddle and he means to set that right. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes and pays his "respects" afterwards just to let him know from beyond the grave that he's now Number 2.

OK but your counter points make zero sense.

So you should only look at Belicheck's non Brady years that don't suit your narrative? So the 2000 season Bill coached the Patriots shouldn't count either?

Also if it's a team sport, which I fully agree, and your point there is Bill can't be blamed for losing records because of the team, then he certainly can't be given credit for the success either because it's the team.

From Belicheck's own mouth it's the players that win and coaches that lose.

I'm not a Belicheck hater, him and Brady were the perfect duo and we were lucky to have both together.

Just pointing out the lame logic being used.

The Patriots are tied with 6 superbowls for the most in NFL history and have the greatest 20 year run ever in NFL history that will never be repeated.

Without Brady and Belicheck on the Pats that success doesn't exist.

The only thing fans can rightfully criticize is that Bill pushed Brady outside of NE while Brady was still Brady. That's a fact Bill can never live down but it doesn't mean his entire coaching career should be disparaged, he will still retire as the GOAT.

OK but your counter points make zero sense.

So you should only look at Belicheck's non Brady years that don't suit your narrative? So the 2000 season Bill coached the Patriots shouldn't count either?

Also if it's a team sport, which I fully agree, and your point there is Bill can't be blamed for losing records because of the team, then he certainly can't be given credit for the success either because it's the team.

From Belicheck's own mouth it's the players that win and coaches that lose.

I'm not a Belicheck hater, him and Brady were the perfect duo and we were lucky to have both together.

Just pointing out the lame logic being used.

The Patriots are tied with 6 superbowls for the most in NFL history and have the greatest 20 year run ever in NFL history that will never be repeated.

Without Brady and Belicheck on the Pats that success doesn't exist.

The only thing fans can rightfully criticize is that Bill pushed Brady outside of NE while Brady was still Brady. That's a fact Bill can never live down but it doesn't mean his entire coaching career should be disparaged, he will still retire as the GOAT.
IMO, The whole “Bill’s record without Brady” routine is so tired because it's not a fair comparison no one is going back and removing the years spent with their best QB from any other coaches other than BB. What's Lombardi's record without Starr? Or Walsh without Montana? So Gibbs is the GOAT then?

And to your last point Bill deserves plenty of blame for pushing Brady out but let's not ignore Brady's age at the time and the fact that Brady really took the re-sign option off the table prior to his last season here because the team hadn't extended past 42 for several years prior. I don't think it makes BB any more right because TB just doesn't stop but if we are being fair to Bill he was never given the option to re-sign him in his walk year he had to have done it at least a year early if not a couple years early to have avoided pissing off TB.

IMO, The whole “Bill’s record without Brady” routine is so tired because it's not a fair comparison no one is going back and removing the years spent with their best QB from any other coaches other than BB. What's Lombardi's record without Starr? Or Walsh without Montana? So Gibbs is the GOAT then?

And to your last point Bill deserves plenty of blame for pushing Brady out but let's not ignore Brady's age at the time and the fact that Brady really took the re-sign option off the table prior to his last season here because the team hadn't extended past 42 for several years prior. I don't think it makes BB any more right because TB just doesn't stop but if we are being fair to Bill he was never given the option to re-sign him in his walk year he had to have done it at least a year early if not a couple years early to have avoided pissing off TB.
Bill's record without Tom doesn't tell the whole story but it's not nothing, right? I think it's safe to any just about other quarterback would have been a downgrade. That probably would translate into a worse record but not as bad as the Browns and Bledsoe years.

You forgot 2000 (5-11), which makes him about a .500 coach w/o Brady, in New England. It is what it is. Hopefully he continues to have winning seasons, followed by playoff wins and eventually a division title. How long will that take? I think it depends on how much Mac can develop as a top tier QB, despite it being a team sport.
TB12 was on the team in 2000, and even played 1 game in a loss, although the same could be said for 2008, so that ends up being a wash.

(Yes, I know everyone technically means as the starting QB, and that I'm being pedantic.)

All that being said, I wonder if BB back then ever thought he'd get close enough to Shula. DS was a head coach for 33 years (BB 28 so far) with 3 HoF starting QBs and a fairly early start as the 9th youngest HC ever. Now that BB's close with a seemingly pretty good QB, I can see that BB would want to respectfully expectorate on DS's mausoleum (to help keep the shine so BB can stare at his own sh*t eating grin as he whips out his ahm... rings... and tells DS "Beli-cheat this you Tampergating perfect season asterisk m'rf'r").

1662810991373.png

Yeah unless we see a couple of sub .500 seasons which would force Kraft's hand, we've got BB for a while.

I find the Bill without Brady thing overplayed. It's glaringly obvious that any HC needs players to win.

It's also obvious players need coaching.

It's only brought up by people still mad at Bill over Brady leaving. People need to get over it, it sucks but it's not the end of the world. It's entirely possible to root for both the Pats and Brady.

It doesn't need to be Bill vs Brady, leave that narrative to media idiots.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back