PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bad News Everyone - [Lombardi opinion on matchup vs Eagles]

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had them before, and we had a similar one here, where it wasn't actually mandated, not long ago.

The Positivity Thread...and thoughts on Jacksonville
Hm, I haven’t seen that thread before, but it’s not a moderator-sanctioned thread and wasn’t heavily moderated within either. So to say “the mods should have another positivity thread” seems a little off the mark there.

Hm, I haven’t seen that thread before, but it’s not a moderator-sanctioned thread and wasn’t heavily moderated within either. So to say “the mods should have another positivity thread” seems a little off the mark there.

It's not. You're reading it defensively, and you're ignoring that it's been done before.

I wasn't taking a shot at the mods. Given how ridiculous some of the homers have gotten around here, it might actually be worth a try. If we could convince the easily triggered Patriots versions of snowflakes to stay out of the real threads, and let them just have their one thread that was all puppies, kittens, unicorns and rainbows, it would probably be a big help around here.

Last edited:
It’s a pretty cool thread.

The jags were better than the eagles. They are good but they are not like the Seahawks in 2014. I’ve brought them up a lot because that defense was a hard hitting nightmare and the offense was damn good. Seems like it’s an all new ball game in the bowl where anything may happen but.... this is a bird team

Yeah, the 85 bears were not bad

I do agree the defense was gashed some in the first half, but their intention was to shut down Fournette, so there was kind of rope-a-dope quality to it. They were patient and absorbed what the Jags were giving them but stuck with their game plan, and with the necessary adjustments, started gaining ground. In the end, Bortles kind of fell apart, which is exactly what the Pats were hoping for. Luckily, our offense kicked it into gear when there was still time.

Wow. Lombardi must have really had a bad exit from Foxborough with BB, a couple years ago.
You have a remarkable ability to absorb the same information as everyone else and come up with a completely different conclusion.

Or, in as we say in layman's terms, "you're wrong."

Eagles can’t cover our backs with their LB like the jags could

They were filthy. Absolutely shut us down and we kept going back to it for some reason. Reminded me of a FCS college football team trying to run and throw screens on Alabama’s defense. That may be exaggerated but I cannot express how insane and frustrating that was.

Erstwhile self-proclaimed Belichick consigliere Mike Lombardi has declared that this is a "horrendous" matchup for the Patriots and he expects the Eagles to win "come hell or high water".

Lombardi seems to base this on the fact that the stuff that JAX did in the first half is evidently similar to what Kansas City in week 1, which gave NE so much trouble. Furthermore, he claims that PHI is the best team the Brady-BB era Patriots have faced in the Super Bowl (!!!). I guess Seattle, Atlanta, the '04 Eagles, and the god damn Greatest Show on Turf slipped his mind.

Objectively I don't really see the argument. Sure Philly has looked formidable, and Foles is going to be a starter somewhere next year. But the Patriots defense has come leaps and bounds from week 1, the defense played very well in the second half yesterday. They'll have two weeks to prepare for the read option stuff. TEN ran similar concepts and they had no problem with it. The real issue is how dumpoffs and wheel routes continually exposed our weak linebacking corps--but honestly that was an issue last year too. Thank GOD Sproles is out.

Point being, Lombardi is overselling, probably because he looks like a total ******* for inexplicably trashing on Pederson so much at the start of the year, so now he wants to get back into Philly's good graces (good luck). I listened to GM Street a lot this year just because Lombardi always has a good anecdote or two, but his prognostications seem to always have an agenda (and he wants you think he's way more plugged in than he really is). Keep in mind he also picked Pittsburgh to go to the Super Bowl over New England, so this isn't exactly a vaunted track record we're up against here.[/QU

10 days ago,...........Philly was the first one seed to be the underdog in the divisional round.

This is really a function of way over estimating Minnesota.

Not sure about others, I'd rank the degree of difficult SB opponents in this order:
1. Rams
2. Seattle
3. 04 Eagles
4. 2017 Eagles
5. Dirty Birds
6. 07 Giants
7. 11 Giants
8. Kitties
Huh?

In theory, when you lose to an opponent, that means they were more difficult to defeat that a team in which you defeated.

Eagles can’t cover our backs with their LB like the jags could
So the theory is JAX has better secondary and LBs but the Iggles have a more powerful defensive front.

I do have to question how good that defense is when Manning threw for like 400 yards in each game against them .. 1 of those game he had a bunch of no name receivers

So the theory is JAX has better secondary and LBs but the Iggles have a more powerful defensive front.

Maybe against the run, but the Eagles pass rush is much weaker than the Jags. 38 sacks vs 54.

I think the Eagles offense is much better than what we’ve faced lately, too, especially your Jaguars comparison.

Maybe against the run, but the Eagles pass rush is much weaker than the Jags. 38 sacks vs 54.

I think we’ll throw a lot of screens and flats and get away with it this time. Gut runs to keep the Eagles honest so that we can hit Gronk and Cooks downfield. I think this might actually be a game where Hogan gets the most yards.

There's always going to be someone in the media that takes a jab at the Pats. It sells. I'd bet 90% of the football fans out there want the Pats to lose. The media knows their market, and they give the masses what they want to hear. Max Kellerman is a prime example.

It didn't matter which NFC team made it, someone in the media would explain exactly why THAT NFC team is a bad matchup for the Pats. Best advice, quit listening.

Many people want the Eagles to win. They want some form of hope. The media is quick to oblige.

Personally, I hope for a game where the Pats are up so big they cut it off in the 3rd quarter and tune into a late night session of "Bowling for dollars".

Huh?

In theory, when you lose to an opponent, that means they were more difficult to defeat that a team in which you defeated.

Not in the NFL's single elimination style playoffs.

I think just like Jacksonville the game they played BEFORE the Pats was the best game they play in the playoffs. The Jags dominated Pittsburgh, but couldn't sustain that intensity going into the Pats matchup. The same thing will happen to the Eagles. They were peaking against the Vikings. Everything worked, now they slowly cool as a million different things slowly erode the edge they had until finally after a week and a half of super bowl requests, pressers, interviews, ticket requests, and every dang thing that accompanies it comes up and they just want to have it start, and its still a half a week to gametime.
Then finally the game starts and its 5 minute breaks at change of possession, 15 minutes at the end of quarters, 45 minutes halftime, all acting as as cold water splashing them in the face forcing them to cool their heels and wait again.

Philly was one completion away from losing to Atlanta. I commend them for getting this far, but I think Brady and co will wear them out over 4 quarters and Foles will revert back to the mean.

I think just like Jacksonville the game they played BEFORE the Pats was the best game they play in the playoffs. The Jags dominated Pittsburgh, but couldn't sustain that intensity going into the Pats matchup. The same thing will happen to the Eagles. They were peaking against the Vikings. Everything worked, now they slowly cool as a million different things slowly erode the edge they had until finally after a week and a half of super bowl requests, pressers, interviews, ticket requests, and every dang thing that accompanies it comes up and they just want to have it start, and its still a half a week to gametime.
Then finally the game starts and its 5 minute breaks at change of possession, 15 minutes at the end of quarters, 45 minutes halftime, all acting as as cold water splashing them in the face forcing them to cool their heels and wait again.
There's actually some merit in teams that have a big win in the playoffs and then have a let down the following game. Everything clicks and they just roll, the next team throws different looks at them and things are much harder and there's a mental aspect involved. That being said no one has a clue how this game is going to unfold and who's going to win.

I tend to agree, as long as we don’t let them impose their will early with any earth shattering plays we will be fine.

We aren’t going to give Barnett a free run at the QB by pulling a TE across to try to chip him.

Screen game, RBs, and Gronk should be a lot more effective. Keeping them honest with the run game.

They’re secondary had a very effective year with lots of TOS but they are not elite lockdown types like the Jags.

I think what makes the Eagles defense special is they are hard workers, deep unit, work as one unit and thrive off of one another and the big play. Similar to a Patriots one.

I don’t know that we will wear them down, but we can hit the explosives on them and have a talent advantage vs their secondary and LBs.

I would be weary of too much play action to let their rushers get to Brady. They rush a lot smarter and will push the pocket in Toms face.

Shotgun and let Brady see the field and we will win those matchups with more ease compared Jax. No answer for Gronk, Dola or Cooks. Dorsett could have a good game as well.

Probably more straight drops from under center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back