SOURCE:NESN

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Steelers
Sun
Dec 16th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Shocking Ending
Sunday's loss in Miami was shocking and will likely have the Patriots doing some second-guessing this week.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Bad News Everyone - [Lombardi opinion on matchup vs Eagles]

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Wrath Mania, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Wrath Mania

Wrath Mania Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,443
    Erstwhile self-proclaimed Belichick consigliere Mike Lombardi has declared that this is a "horrendous" matchup for the Patriots and he expects the Eagles to win "come hell or high water".

Lombardi seems to base this on the fact that the stuff that JAX did in the first half is evidently similar to what Kansas City in week 1, which gave NE so much trouble. Furthermore, he claims that PHI is the best team the Brady-BB era Patriots have faced in the Super Bowl (!!!). I guess Seattle, Atlanta, the '04 Eagles, and the god damn Greatest Show on Turf slipped his mind.

Objectively I don't really see the argument. Sure Philly has looked formidable, and Foles is going to be a starter somewhere next year. But the Patriots defense has come leaps and bounds from week 1, the defense played very well in the second half yesterday. They'll have two weeks to prepare for the read option stuff. TEN ran similar concepts and they had no problem with it. The real issue is how dumpoffs and wheel routes continually exposed our weak linebacking corps--but honestly that was an issue last year too. Thank GOD Sproles is out.

Point being, Lombardi is overselling, probably because he looks like a total ******* for inexplicably trashing on Pederson so much at the start of the year, so now he wants to get back into Philly's good graces (good luck). I listened to GM Street a lot this year just because Lombardi always has a good anecdote or two, but his prognostications seem to always have an agenda (and he wants you think he's way more plugged in than he really is). Keep in mind he also picked Pittsburgh to go to the Super Bowl over New England, so this isn't exactly a vaunted track record we're up against here.

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1

2. Chris Stevenson

Chris Stevenson 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,451
    Wow. Lombardi must have really had a bad exit from Foxborough with BB, a couple years ago.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. RIpats88

RIpats88 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,501
    eh I dont put much stock into what lombardi says.

Seahawks of 2014 had one of the best defenses of all time just coming off a dismantling of Denver and that historic offense

and Atlanta of last year are better teams than this years eagles lead by the league MVP and a high flying offense.

• Agree Agree x 10
  4. PatriotsNumero1Fan

PatriotsNumero1Fan Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +4,588

Nick Foles's not much of a runner. I just wanna see an aggressive game plan from our offense. That secondary doesn't compare to the jags secondary.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. sean10mm

sean10mm On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +641
    Something that's quietly gone without much notice is that the Eagles don't actually have much of a pass rush. Only 38 sacks this season (the Pats had 42.)

If they can keep the Jags pass rush (54 sacks!) under control, the Eagles should be no big deal, at which point it should be game over.

Of course Atlanta had 5 sacks in the Super Bowl in spite of a bad regular season pass D so who knows lol.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Wrath Mania

Ratings:
    +1,443
    Yep. I think you gotta look at Brady, Amendola and Cooks in the second half yesterday, figure you'll get Gronk back and maybe a fresher Hogan too, and try to be aggressive through the air. Worked for Seattle and the Giants (!!!).

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. SlowGettingUp

SlowGettingUp Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,889
    Prior to this, Lombardi has generally been pretty pro-Pats this year.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Wrath Mania

Ratings:
    +1,443
    I mean, is this Eagles team even better than '03 Carolina? That team was a one--year juggernaut. And the '04 Eagles team was a legitimately great team in all phases. Meanwhile Seattle had the best defense of the era, and ATL blew teams out throughout the postseason. This Eagles team is better? Just a ridiculous comment honestly.

Oh, and again: The 2001 Rams. Who Belichick himself thought was one of the best teams in NFL history.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  9. scott99

scott99 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4,622
    I think every analyst is trying to get noticed. The way to do that, is to not pick the Pats to win. Has nothing to do with great knowledge or insight, it's the thing to do to be one of the cool kids. We heard the Titans were a matchup nightmare for the Pats, we heard the Jaguars were a nightmare matchup for the Pats, and now the Eagles are the favorite in the media's mind. There's no way the Pats can score against this impregnable defense and no way they can stop the Eagles offense. The Eagles are the 70's Steelers, the 80's 49ers and the 90's Cowboys all wrapped up in one mega-unstoppable-super team. I weep for my Patriots, they have no shot.

• Funny Funny x 15
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +42,456
    Are we really going to be doing this nonsense for the next two weeks?

OK, Lombardi doesn't like the matchup. He's got at least some good reasons. It's freakin' Monday, 2 weeks before the SB. We can still cry about those who dare to think the Patriots are mortal in a few days. We don't need to get stupid about it already.

• Agree x 9
    • Like x 5
    • Funny x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
  11. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +22,906
    He has a good point that their offense is not a great matchup for us. At least he backs it with actual football thoughts and not mindless, hot takes. Don’t see anything to be upset or offended about.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  12. RIpats88

RIpats88 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,501
    it is kind of ridiculous hot take to say they are the best NFC team the patriots have faced though....you have to admit that.

I think some of the things they do pose a problem for the patriots, but I don't see the patriots playing the same "contain" defense they did on bortles. Foles isnt as much of a threat with his legs so I would release the pass rushers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +12,731
    Mike Lombardi is unemployed

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. borg

borg Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +5,901
    So....if a NFL "expert" picks against NE....it is only because of their hidden agenda?

• Like Like x 2
  15. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +22,906
    Did you see me write anything about that best nfc team claim ?

No, because who gives a ****. Whether the 01 Rams or 14 Hawks were better has no relevance at all. It is only fitting that many get upset about the irrelevant part of what he said instead of discussing the relevant part which is the bad matchup.

People love talking about drama so much more than actual relevant things.. moronic

• Like Like x 1
  16. PatsGirl2011

PatsGirl2011 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +677
    They actually may be the worst team the Pats have faced in the SB depending on how you view Atlanta's team from 2017.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +13,544
    a moderator should re-title this thread to be a catch-all for the many soon-to-come doom-and-gloom media predictions, something like

"media members picking the Eagles to win SB LII"

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ausbacker

ausbacker TB12 PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,542
    Belichick put together a scheme that slowed down The Greatest Show on Turf. Forgive me for feeling confident he can develop a plan to slow down a Nick Foles led offense.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. SammyBlueCat

SammyBlueCat PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,893
    We Shall Overcome

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +42,456
    Maybe the mods could just have another "positive thoughts only!" thread for people who get triggered the moment something/someone even implies the Patriots might not be perfect.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1