PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bad News Everyone - [Lombardi opinion on matchup vs Eagles]

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO this Eagles team is the worst team we’ve faced in the BB/TB era.

‘16 Falcons would wipe the floor with them.
‘14 Seahawks would wipe the floor with them.
‘11 Giants would “likely” win (pass rush).
‘07 Giants would wipe the floor with them.
‘04 Eagles would wipe the floor with them.
‘03 Panthers would wipe the floor with them.
‘01 Rams.....I digress....

I am by no means insinuating this will be an “easy” game for us. I have immense respect for Philadelphia. However, this is our “easiest” SB opponent thus far.

Last edited:
a moderator should re-title this thread to be a catch-all for the many soon-to-come doom-and-gloom media predictions, something like

"media members picking the Eagles to win SB LII"

I've thought, for a long long time we need a stickied 'post links to reports that outrage you written by people who don't matter here' thread.

There's just too much "OMG THE EDITOR OF THE MONTGOMERY SCHOOL DISTRICT HIGH SCHOOL NEWSPAPER PICKED THE PATS TO ONLY WIN BY 3" silliness.

A reasonably convincing case can be made for practically EVERY NFL offense being a "bad" matchup for this Patriots defense. Let's face it: BB and Patricia have worked wonders this season with baling wire, duct tape and smoke & mirrors.

they've gotta sell what could in fact be a really bad Superbowl......blowouts don't sit well with advertisers, and viewership is already down

Ignored one significant thing in this game, Brady vs that defense

Ho Hum, first of many articles over the next two weeks predicting the demise of the Patriots. Everyone and their brother wants in on the "Patriots will lose" bandwagon. Only thing that matters is what happens on the field.

I listened to part of it. He didn’t say he expects the Eagles to win come hell or high water, he said he’s picking them come hell or high water.

He made some good points especially regarding the Eagles depth, though I’m not sure I agree with the idea that there’s a blueprint out there to beat the Pats and we saw it in Week 1 and Jax executed it in the first half and that means the Patriots are still vulnerable to that kind of offense.

I don’t watch enough Eagles games to say whether the Eagles “do this all time” but they didn’t do it yesterday- they incinerated Min with the big play. How will they react if the Patriots get a good lead? We’ll see.

Anyway if you want to listen (starts at 17:45)

Last edited:
Link to Lombardi's segment.

zIb676w.gif

I like Lombardi, especially when he and Simmons talk.

He has definitely been pro-Pats over the years and he loves Belichick. This pick has a bit of reverse-jinx feel about it.

I think the Eagles will be the best team we faced all year. I think they're better than Pitt, Titans, and Jacksonville.

I think we'll beat them but if we played the game ten times maybe we win 6 or 7. Before the Seattle and Atlanta games, I also thought those teams were the best teams we played each of those years, and we'd have to play really well to beat them.

The Patriots will lose in two weeks if they don't bring their A game. But I think we will bring it and will be walking away with #6.

I think it is more the perceived lack of speed on the Pats front versus the Eagles O-line which is very athletic. The potential is that the Eagles could dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides. That D-line is very good. Just because the Patriots beat the Jags excellent D does not necessarily mean they can do the same to the Eagles front because it is more to do with match-ups and schemes and tendencies.

Having said all that, if there is a team that can recognise these things and counter them, you wouldn't choose anyone else other than Belichick, McDaniels and co. to prepare a team. And rest assured, if there are any weaknesses to exploit, then the Patriots will also find them, even if it is an in-game adjustment.

I am quite happy for people to build the Eagles up as it will only serve to strengthen the Patriots resolve, (as if they needed anymore).

For the record, the best team NE has faced in the SB was themselves back in '07 and they lost. The Eagles are legit and I for one, don't take them lightly, but the best team the Pats have ever faced in the Superbowl is total BS. What gets me is how the Pat's defense keeps getting overlooked, but has continually gotten better all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes