PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bad News Everyone - [Lombardi opinion on matchup vs Eagles]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early lines are Pats by 5 ......If Gronk is healthy line may move up a bit....

Matt definitely has to pressure Foles with a pass rush
and keep him in passing mode....This contain BS gives QB's to much time to find open targets, especially underneath where a LB has to cover....

They actually may be the worst team the Pats have faced in the SB depending on how you view Atlanta's team from 2017.

Not sure about others, I'd rank the degree of difficult SB opponents in this order:
1. Rams
2. Seattle
3. 04 Eagles
4. 2017 Eagles
5. Dirty Birds
6. 07 Giants
7. 11 Giants
8. Kitties

Are we really going to be doing this nonsense for the next two weeks?

OK, Lombardi doesn't like the matchup. He's got at least some good reasons. It's freakin' Monday, 2 weeks before the SB. We can still cry about those who dare to think the Patriots are mortal in a few days. We don't need to get stupid about it already.

Well Mike LomFartie have been rong before.:rolleyes:

People are underselling Philly, this is a tough game. We should win though.

In my opinion this match up is more reminiscent of the 2011 Super Bowl. I think two weaker (I want to use that word lightly) Super Bowl teams played in that match up, one with a great defensive line and a QB that went Hulk mode that had no business doing so; this feels similar. I think the 2017 Patriots are one of the weaker Super Bowl teams that B.B. has brought to the big game and I think that the Eagles are one of the weaker NFC opponents that have played in the Super Bowl in the last 2 decades. This felt like a weak year for the NFL as a whole and offensive lines in general are as weak as they have ever been. That being said I think this will be a gritty close Super Bowl between the two best teams currently in the NFL and despite what I feel are weaker Super Bowl teams it does nothing to change the competition level. Literally anything can happen in this one. Media is just blowing smoke, Eagles fans are just blowing smoke, I’m just blowing smoke, you’re just blowing smoke. None of this talk makes any difference and when the ball kicks off all this talk will just be forgotten, but we all know that. What else are we going to do for 2 weeks though if we don’t talk and speculate?

Last edited:
I'm guessing that Tom Brady's hand laceration is going to heal fully before the big game. I'm not so sure that Foles' rib injury will fully heal by then.
If that's the case, Philly winning would be the biggest upset since Rocky Balboa beat Apollo Creed.

In my opinion this match up is more reminiscent of the 2011 Super Bowl. I think two weaker (I want to use them at world lightly) Super Bowl teams played in that match up, one with a great defensive line and a QB that went Hulk mode that had no business doing so; this feels similar. I think the 2017 Patriots are one of the weaker Super Bowl teams that B.B. has brought to the big game and I think that the Eagles are one of the weaker NFC opponents that have played in the Super Bowl in the last 2 decades. This felt like a weak year for the NFL as a whole and offensive lines in general are as weak as they have ever been. That being said I think this will be a gritty close Super Bowl between the two best teams currently in the NFL and despite what I feel are weaker Super Bowl teams it does nothing to change to competition level. Literally anything can happen in this one. Media is just blowing smoke, Eagles fans are just blowing smoke, I’m just blowing smoke, you’re just blowing smoke. None of this talk makes any difference and when the ball kicks off all this talk will just be forgotten, but we all know that. What else are we going to do for 2 weeks though if we don’t talk and speculate?

I think that’s a good analogy though I believe this team is much better than the 2011 Pats were. That team honestly had no business being in the Super Bowl.

People are underselling Philly, this is a tough game. We should win though.

This. They're the best team we'v faced all year. They're simply a machine on all three phases of the game. This will take a hugeeeeeeee effort.

Last edited:
This. They're the best team we'v faced all year. They're D is all time great.

Probably the best defense we’ve faced this year but all time great...I wouldnt go that far.

Not sure about others, I'd rank the degree of difficult SB opponents in this order:
1. Rams
2. Seattle
3. 04 Eagles
4. 2017 Eagles
5. Dirty Birds
6. 07 Giants
7. 11 Giants
8. Kitties

Not bad. I’d put the 2011 Giants right at the bottom. I’d also put the 04 Eagles second ahead of Sea.

Maybe the mods could just have another "positive thoughts only!" thread for people who get triggered the moment something/someone even implies the Patriots might not be perfect.
Did we have one of those? Hm, I don’t recall that thread. Guess I missed it!

This. They're the best team we'v faced all year. They're D is all time great.
There's a happy medium between Patriots fans being overly optimistic and calling the Eagles defense all time great. That is so stupid I think you have to be kidding?

Not bad. I’d put the 2011 Giants right at the bottom. I’d also put the 04 Eagles second ahead of Sea.

Do you mind explaining the Eagles over Seattle pick?

Lombardi is a certified master goon 33rd level illuminatti goon. That said, this is a bird team. Bird teams can’t win against the pats because our guys have muskets. Birds hate guns. They fly the coop. Start molting try nest building on their own side and they lay eggs. They crow a lot but you know what happens.

When I think of foles I see a stupid voiced big bird off sesame street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye