PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BackDraft 2015: Master Plans & Mock Drafts ~ For The Record!!

Off The Grid

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Greetings, Earthlings!! :D

A cordial Invitation, Ladies & Laddies ~ and Early Notice, so you can develop your Strategies:

I'm continuing a developing annual Tradition, this Year, of creating a "BackDraft" Thread: As soon as The Draft ends on May 2nd, but before Memorial Day ~ because that's when OTA's start happening ~ everyone and anyone who wishes to is invited to submit their OffSeason Master Plans here where I ~ and anyone else who wishes to ~ will take the responsibility of bumping this Thread from time to time, with a mind towards evaluating our Master Plans over the Years ~ to our general Amusement & Shame!! :D

Here's the idea:

01 ~ After the Draft is complete on May 2nd, the actual order of Picks will render most of our Mocks moot.
02 ~ Tell us, if you wish to, and based on the actual Draft, how you would've drafted for the Patriots.
03 ~ Include any Trades you see fit. But be prepared to defend'm. ;)
04 ~ For the Truly Ambitious: Give us your entire OffSeason Master Plan, with Trades & Free Agents.
05 ~ Make sure you get'm in by Memorial Day Morning ~ does 0400 on May 25th work for everyone?

If you simply wish to submit a BackDraft without the complete OffSeason MasterPlan, that's great: Whoever wishes to play can make it as simple or as complex as they wish. It's all in Good Fun. :D

Here's last Year's BackDraft Thread.

Last edited:
To recapitulate, for those who, like me, suffer from Toxic Short Attention Span Disorder :D:

01 ~ This doesn't really kick into gear until the Draft ends on May 2nd.

02 ~ But I thought it'd be a good idea to let everyone know I'm doing this so y'all can think it over, if you wish.

03 ~ Feel fully free to employ this Thread as a "Scratch Pad" between now and then, as your Master Plans develop ~ and indeed in the Years to come, if you like. We've already got a Mock Draft Thread for much of that purpose, but if anyone finds it useful to record their thought process here in a Thread which ~ with Ian & Pat'sFans's Permission ~ will be periodically recalled over the Years, you're certainly welcome to.

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of fun. I'll do it. Frankly I think a public shaming will do me good. Hope I get at least 1 thing right. : )

Here's my "scratch pad" line of thinking as it stands right now.

Please note, I'm only talking about prospects I like and have watched to some degree. If i haven't mentioned someone you like, it might purely be that I haven't watched them or formed an opinion yet.

Rnd One

Tier one

TJ Clemmings
Brandon Scherff
Dante Fowler Jnr

I see Scherff as a potentially elite OG, Clemmings as the Ziggy Ansah of the OL and Fowler as THE perfect Patriots prospect in terms of versatility on the DL. I would be prepared to trade up using a 3rd, or maybe even a 3rd & 4th, for these prospects.

Tier 2

La'el Collins

Another potentially elite OG that can play LT if needed. He's only a smidgeon behind the aforementioned. I'd take Collins with our first rounder in a heartbeat but I'm only trading up if I think there won't be any decent options with our own pick.

Tier 3

Alvin Dupree
Maxx Williams

I'd be happy taking these at no 32 but would lean towards trading back and hopefully picking them up then. These prospects have a marginal first round grade for now.

Rnd Two

Tier Four

Malcolm Brown
Cameron Erving
Tevin Coleman (foot injury?)

I don't really want these as my first pick in the draft but I'm OK if they are. I'd much rather get them by trading up in the second.

Tier five

Ameer Abdullah
Todd Gurley
Sammie Coates

Rnd Three

Tier Six

Omawagbe Odhigizuwa
Zach Hodges
Quinten Rollins

I see Zach Hodges converting to linebacker and being similar to Jamie Collins. I think it's worth keeping the pipeline at CB hence going Rollins at this point but Tony Lippett of MSU who I haven't yet watched and Delvin Breaux could all suffice as 'CB pipeline'.

Tier Seven

Marcus Hardison
Corey Crawford
Anthony Harris

I'm thoroughly intrigued by Corey Crawford and I can see him shooting up my rankings with a good Senior Bowl/Combine. For now I'm calling him the LDE version of Chandler Jones but I think he could end up not that far off Jones if he shows explosion at the Senior Bowl. If McCourty doesn't sign a long term contract, Harris probably moves up into the second round tiers.

That's it for now. I'll have a think about my day three prospects and update them later.

Last edited:
In what area do you have Tony Lippert, and as what?

In what area do you have Tony Lippert, and as what?

I don't right now, I need to study him. But his versatility alone makes him interesting. For now, I'd say early day three and like early Edelman could be used in all three phases.

Please note, I'm only talking about prospects I like and have watched to some degree. If i haven't mentioned someone you like, it might purely be that I haven't watched them or formed an opinion yet.

Rnd One

Tier one

TJ Clemmings
Brandon Scherff
Dante Fowler Jnr

I see Scherff as a potentially elite OG, Clemmings as the Ziggy Ansah of the OL and Fowler as THE perfect Patriots prospect in terms of versatility on the DL. I would be prepared to trade up using a 3rd, or maybe even a 3rd & 4th, for these prospects.

Tier 2

La'el Collins

Another potentially elite OG that can play LT if needed. He's only a smidgeon behind the aforementioned. I'd take Collins with our first rounder in a heartbeat but I'm only trading up if I think there won't be any decent options with our own pick.

Tier 3

Alvin Dupree
Maxx Williams

I'd be happy taking these at no 32 but would lean towards trading back and hopefully picking them up then. These prospects have a marginal first round grade for now.

Rnd Two

Tier Four

Malcolm Brown
Cameron Erving

I don't really want these as my first pick in the draft but I'm OK if they are. I'd much rather get them by trading up in the second.

Tier five

Ameer Abdullah
Todd Gurley
Sammie Coates

Rnd Three

Tier Six

Omawagbe Odhigizuwa
Zach Hodges
Quinten Rollins

I see Zach Hodges converting to linebacker and being similar to Jamie Collins. I think it's worth keeping the pipeline at CB hence going Rollins at this point but Tony Lippett of MSU who I haven't yet watched and Delvin Breaux could all suffice as 'CB pipeline'.

Tier Seven

Marcus Hardison
Corey Crawford
Anthony Harris

I'm thoroughly intrigued by Corey Crawford and I can see him shooting up my rankings with a good Senior Bowl/Combine. For now I'm calling him the LDE version of Chandler Jones but I think he could end up not that far off Jones if he shows explosion at the Senior Bowl. If McCourty doesn't sign a long term contract, Harris probably moves up into the second round tiers.

That's it for now. I'll have a think about my day three prospects and update them later.

My early "tiers" of day 1-2 potential prosopects:

Tier 1: Eddie Goldman, TJ Clemmings, Danielle Hunter (borderline)

Tier 2: Brandon Scherff, La'el Collins, Bud Dupree, Dante Fowler, Malcolm Brown

Tier 3: Jordan Phillips, Cam Erving, Maxx Williams, Tevin Coleman, DeAndre Smelter (minus the ACL; with the ACL he drops to day 3)

Tier 4: Shilique Calhoun, Noah Spence, Owamagbe Odighizuwa, Arik Armstead, Ty Sambrailo, Jay Ajayi, Quinten Rollins, Mario Edwards, Jake Fisher

Corey Crawford's solidly in my day 3 group right now, along with Preston Jones.

Rnd One

Tier one

TJ Clemmings
Brandon Scherff
Dante Fowler Jnr

Tier 2

La'el Collins

Tier 3

Alvin Dupree
Maxx Williams

Rnd Two

Tier Four

Malcolm Brown
Cameron Erving

Tier five

Ameer Abdullah
Todd Gurley
Sammie Coates

Rnd Three

Tier Six

Omawagbe Odhigizuwa
Zach Hodges
Quinten Rollins

Tier Seven

Marcus Hardison
Corey Crawford
Anthony Harris

Beautifully crafted, Brother Manx, as per usual!!
beer.gif

If I may be so bold as to suggest: Anyone intrigued by the Process but overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of Prospects and not sure how to get started ~ how to get organized? The Format that Brother Manx has laid out, here, is a tremendous way to do so. From here or a similar Format, you can just build as you go.

At the Risk of being obnoxious, I'll be bumping this throughout the Weekend, just to keep it fresh in Folks's minds!! :D

Hey!!!

Think you can do better than Mad Bill did, yesterday??? :eek:

Time to screw those Thinking Caps on, Ladies & Laddies...and start brewing up those BackDrafts!! :D

*** Reminder!!! ***

01 ~ You can do the ENTIRE OffSeason OVER, if you have the BALLS and the VISION.

02 ~ You can SIGN whoever you want to sign ~ within The Cap, of course!!

03 ~ And then you can DRAFT whoever you want to draft ~ IF they were available!!

OK!! Draft is done!! 23 Days to Memorial Morning DeadLine!! All are invited to play!! :D

My only problem with doing this is that it seemed like ALL my binkies fell into day three: Clemmings, Hardison, Jarrett, Mason, Smelter, McBride. I'd just trade all my picks for day 3 picks and take them all.

And by the way fate, I need to have words. You finally allow BB to draft one of my binkies in Mason and then, just to reel me back, you had Smelter go with the very next pick. Thanks for giving me the time to enjoy the pick.

My only problem with doing this is that it seemed like ALL my binkies fell into day three: Clemmings, Hardison, Jarrett, Mason, Smelter, McBride. I'd just trade all my picks for day 3 picks and take them all.

And by the way fate, I need to have words. You finally allow BB to draft one of my binkies in Mason and then, just to reel me back, you had Smelter go with the very next pick. Thanks for giving me the time to enjoy the pick.

It was a nice moment, I'm sure!!
jester.gif

I had the Good Fortune to sleep through it!!

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back