PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Attending first Pats game, looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jangles

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Found some similar threads, but the responses were kind of all over the place.

I'm hoping to attend the season opener on Thursday night and I'm looking for some advice. Never been to Boston, might fly in Monday night and leave Friday morning.

Should I fly into Logan? Good places to stay? Time to leave for the game? Best way to get there? Patriot Place experience? Tailgating? When to see stuff, where to eat, make reservations?

Also, most importantly, where are the best places to sit? I definitely don't want to be surrounded by silence and people that refuse to stand.

Thanks guys

If you're going to spend the weekend up here then Boston is your venue. It's about 40-45 minutes from Boston to Gillette but if you're thinking a Thursday nite game, that's trickier as you'll b hitting rush hour traffic. Air B n B might b your bet as hotel rates in Boston, particularly in Fall will b high if been going to games for many years n was former season tix holder. Like lower bowl and/or 2nd level. Up high r okay but they're nosebleeds.

Found some similar threads, but the responses were kind of all over the place.

I'm hoping to attend the season opener on Thursday night and I'm looking for some advice. Never been to Boston, might fly in Monday night and leave Friday morning.

Should I fly into Logan? Good places to stay? Time to leave for the game? Best way to get there? Patriot Place experience? Tailgating? When to see stuff, where to eat, make reservations?

Also, most importantly, where are the best places to sit? I definitely don't want to be surrounded by silence and people that refuse to stand.

Thanks guys
Lucky bastid. :D

You have two options.

If you fly into Logan and stay in the city, then you will have plenty of places walking distance. Back Bay is awesome, just a lot of places for you to go in the city. The one thing I would be aware of. If you are renting a car, not sure how that will pan out. Expensive to keep in the city, and during the week depending on the time of day, leaving and getting back into Boston can be an absolutely NIGHTMARE.

If you fly into Providence you can stay at fairly nice hotels. There are a couple Marriots/Westin in the city. The drive to Gillette is 25-30 min away. I'm sure flying into and out of TF Green is exponentially easier than Logan as well, if that matters. If you are looking for something to do during the day, rent a car. There isn't nearly as much in Providence as there is in Boston, however we have a beautiful shoreline, and if you are a foodie person there are plenty of great places to visit all over the state. Heading to Newport for a day (or two) would be my first suggestion.

As far as the game goes. Definitely tailgate. Its fun. A lot of locals will park at the lots further away from the stadium. For a first time goer, I would suggest getting there as early as possible and park next to the stadium. Its more of a nightmare getting out, but the location/being right there could be worth it. If the game starts at 8:30 i would suggest trying to get there for 4ish. Lots don't open up that early but its best to get in line. Chances are you'll hit traffic no matter what so why not go early to enjoy the stadium as much as possible.

As far as seats, i would suggest avoiding upper corner 300's. Lower 300 rows (especially the first 8) are actually pretty nice. Everything else is a great seat. I personally don't like endzone, I'd rather see the game left to right, but that is all speculative. I was in the endzone against the Ravens divisional game 2 years ago and it was better than i was expecting.

I wouldn't suggest booking your return flight for Friday AM. You won't get out of the stadium until 12, and probably another hour or more waiting in the parking lot.

As far as places to go, Patriot Place has a ton of placed. Most of them are blah... I go there to tailgate, bring my own stuff, grill, etc. However since you are traveling you can hit up CBS Scene, its their "sports bar" that is always packed during game. Again, get there early. Also, check out the patriots place website so you can get a lay of the land and a list of all the places/shops that are there. Davio's is overrated don't waste your money on a steak there. Bar Louie has good bar food. CBS has crap food but whatever drink more than what you eat lol.

Let me know if you have any more questions

As far as renting a car goes, I'm not that worried about anything other than getting to the game. I can take a cab or walk around Boston. Wasn't sure if that was the best way or not since I have seen a train to the stadium mentioned.

You have two options.

If you fly into Logan and stay in the city, then you will have plenty of places walking distance. Back Bay is awesome, just a lot of places for you to go in the city. The one thing I would be aware of. If you are renting a car, not sure how that will pan out. Expensive to keep in the city, and during the week depending on the time of day, leaving and getting back into Boston can be an absolutely NIGHTMARE.

If you fly into Providence you can stay at fairly nice hotels. There are a couple Marriots/Westin in the city. The drive to Gillette is 25-30 min away. I'm sure flying into and out of TF Green is exponentially easier than Logan as well, if that matters. If you are looking for something to do during the day, rent a car. There isn't nearly as much in Providence as there is in Boston, however we have a beautiful shoreline, and if you are a foodie person there are plenty of great places to visit all over the state. Heading to Newport for a day (or two) would be my first suggestion.

As far as the game goes. Definitely tailgate. Its fun. A lot of locals will park at the lots further away from the stadium. For a first time goer, I would suggest getting there as early as possible and park next to the stadium. Its more of a nightmare getting out, but the location/being right there could be worth it. If the game starts at 8:30 i would suggest trying to get there for 4ish. Lots don't open up that early but its best to get in line. Chances are you'll hit traffic no matter what so why not go early to enjoy the stadium as much as possible.

As far as seats, i would suggest avoiding upper corner 300's. Lower 300 rows (especially the first 8) are actually pretty nice. Everything else is a great seat. I personally don't like endzone, I'd rather see the game left to right, but that is all speculative. I was in the endzone against the Ravens divisional game 2 years ago and it was better than i was expecting.

I wouldn't suggest booking your return flight for Friday AM. You won't get out of the stadium until 12, and probably another hour or more waiting in the parking lot.

As far as places to go, Patriot Place has a ton of placed. Most of them are blah... I go there to tailgate, bring my own stuff, grill, etc. However since you are traveling you can hit up CBS Scene, its their "sports bar" that is always packed during game. Again, get there early. Also, check out the patriots place website so you can get a lay of the land and a list of all the places/shops that are there. Davio's is overrated don't waste your money on a steak there. Bar Louie has good bar food. CBS has crap food but whatever drink more than what you eat lol.

Let me know if you have any more questions
This is all great advice. Personally I'd fly into PVD and make my base Providence and do day trips to Boston and Newport. Everything is very concentrated here. If you're a foodie, Providence has some of the best restaurants in the country.

Others can give you much better advice on dealing with the area but as someone who has flown out from California for one game each of the last two seasons, I strongly recommend getting the best seats you can afford given your budget for the trip. This past year I went to the Bengals game (I took my 17 year old on a Brady Return trip, to Cleveland for the return then to Foxboro for the home return) and paid a little extra for really good seats. The previous year went to the opener and I got decent seats but later regretted spending all that money on the trip and going across country just to get only decent seats. Cheap out on something else but not the main event.

If it's cold grab a cardboard pizza box out of the trash and put it under your feet - helps keep the cement from sucking out your body heat.

Probably won't be cold though, because of Global Warming.

Too bad the the Boston view motel at the historic junction of 27 and RT 1 is no longer blessing us with its flea infested rugs, could've stayed there, 20 min from Stadium, and gotten a bag of crack and a hooker for $30... Rest its bug infested soul:(

Last edited:
As far as renting a car goes, I'm not that worried about anything other than getting to the game. I can take a cab or walk around Boston. Wasn't sure if that was the best way or not since I have seen a train to the stadium mentioned.

You can pick up the train from either RI or Boston... Providence and TF Green have trains available to the stadium, as well as various stations in boston

MBTA > Riding the T > Trains to Gillette

This is all great advice. Personally I'd fly into PVD and make my base Providence and do day trips to Boston and Newport. Everything is very concentrated here. If you're a foodie, Providence has some of the best restaurants in the country.

This man knows

This seems like a legit idea

Don't eat the yellow snow. :cool:

Have fun, @Jangles. I'm jealous.

you should plan on getting to the stadium early enough to walk around the tailgate, it's a big part of the experience !!!....for the record, with that particular game...and Roger joining us , I don't think silence and people refusing to stand will be an issue.....just sayin

Others can give you much better advice on dealing with the area but as someone who has flown out from California for one game each of the last two seasons, I strongly recommend getting the best seats you can afford given your budget for the trip. This past year I went to the Bengals game (I took my 17 year old on a Brady Return trip, to Cleveland for the return then to Foxboro for the home return) and paid a little extra for really good seats. The previous year went to the opener and I got decent seats but later regretted spending all that money on the trip and going across country just to get only decent seats. Cheap out on something else but not the main event.
Totally agree. When I travel to an away game I always get the best seats I can reasonably afford. Paying an extra 10% of the total trip cost for really good seats can makes all the difference between a great time and a GREAT time.

Go with PJs advice. Boston to Foxborough on a Thursday early evening in early September (perfect storm of rush hour, Cape Cod traffic and game day traffic) is a nightmare you want to avoid if you can. You also probably don't want the expense and hassle of a rental car in Boston except for on game day when you'll want a car, as if you take the train there is no time to explore the Hall or Patriots Place or to tailgate (train arrives just before game starts (if you're lucky) and leaves 30 minutes after game. If you drive, no matter where you are coming from, I still say avoid the stadium lots. It will take you hours to get out after the game. The outlying lots are full of locals for a reason - you can get out faster after the game from those lots that say "easy out" and have a cop that will stop the traffic on Route 1 to let folks out. The stadium lots funnel thousands of cars into a few lanes and are a free-for-all full of angry frustrated drunks trying to get home, particularly after a night game and the season opener no less. There is tailgating in all lots. Bring a football to toss around and a few extra beers and you'll make instant friends. Have fun. There is absolutely nothing like being there in person.

PS - I was going to suggest you check out either the Renaissance Hotel or the Hilton Garden Inn at Patriots Place, but I just checked the prices for the night of Sept. 7th and both places are around $940 for the night for their cheapest room. So, unless you have that kind of coin, never mind!

Word of warning. If you want to tailgate, the train is out -- it doesn't get there early enough or leave late enough. On the other hand, renting a car in Boston may be difficult for the reasons stated. But a short-term rental (Zipcar?) might be an option. Or you could stay in the Provinces (oh, sorry ... I meant to type Providence :rolleyes:).

OP whatever you decide to do let me know, i have unlimited restaurants to suggest for Providence, Newport, Boston, and anywhere in between

Totally agree. When I travel to an away game I always get the best seats I can reasonably afford. Paying an extra 10% of the total trip cost for really good seats can makes all the difference between a great time and a GREAT time.
If you want to stand for the whole game, go lower bowl. I don't know why, but folks just don't stand as much in the upper decks at Gillette. Standing is mandatory in my section (136). Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back