PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Attending first Pats game, looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes, plane tickets into Providence are like $400 more than flying into Boston.

Yikes, plane tickets into Providence are like $400 more than flying into Boston.
Okay - the mark of a good traveler is flexibility. If you have to fly into Boston, perhaps the thing to do is fly there, but rent a car, stay somewhere close to Foxboro and make day trips to Boston, Providence, etc. Nothing is far away, distance-wise. You just have to plan your travel by car around the nightmare known as rush hour (both in the am and pm).

Others can give you much better advice on dealing with the area but as someone who has flown out from California for one game each of the last two seasons, I strongly recommend getting the best seats you can afford given your budget for the trip. This past year I went to the Bengals game (I took my 17 year old on a Brady Return trip, to Cleveland for the return then to Foxboro for the home return) and paid a little extra for really good seats. The previous year went to the opener and I got decent seats but later regretted spending all that money on the trip and going across country just to get only decent seats. Cheap out on something else but not the main event.

Whats the best site to get tickets? Best section? I'm strongly considering going. Driving up from Philly.

Whats the best site to get tickets? Best section? I'm strongly considering going. Driving up from Philly.
The Patriots Ticket Exchange (available to season ticket holders and those on the wait list - you could probably get a friend to try to get tickets for you) used to be the best, but it seems to have been overrun by scalpers and/or too many people with access. Hard to get tickets on there now. We go with Stubhub if we can't get extra tix on the exchange. My seats are in Section 136 (1st blue section on left visitors side). On this map any seats in blue, gray or yellow are good (white is club or box seats). North EZ (lighthouse) 141-143 are good when the action is in your end, but hard to see when the action is on the other end. The south EZ seats shown on this map (119-122) are gone for the most part, replaced with an expensive bar.

gillette-stadium-seating-chart.jpg

I use Stub Hub, never had a problem with them. I love the immediate download tickets so I don't have to deal with waiting for the mail.

Others can give you section advice, last year I was in the 9th row of the red seats, last section closest to where Patriots run in. Not the best atmosphere there but the view was to die for.

From that image I think I was in CL6. From the picture it looks close to an end zone but the height worked perfectly for a great view everywhere.

The year before I was in the front row of 313 or something like that. Upper deck front row. The difference was huge to me.

Last edited:
Lower bowl "corner" endzone seats for the win. Anything from the 5 on down to a true corner seat. My wife and i got a pair 15ish rows up about even with the goalline cheap enough for the Houston "lettermen jacket" game. Used to tickets about the same location but on opposite end in the 2nd deck, they dont compare.

As someone who travels the pike and drives through portions of Boston regularly, the suggestions to stay in Providence sound wise. Especially for the time of year (though westbound thurs traffic i wouldnt fret too much for the opener). Just keep in mind driving, let alone parking in Boston can be miserable.

LOL
Some of my good friends are Eagle fans. For the past 15 to 20 years a bunch of us have gone down for a guys weekend to Philly. Drink, ate and went to the Eagle game. just like Boston, Philly is definitely a pro town.

LOL
Some of my good friends are Eagle fans. For the past 15 to 20 years a bunch of us have gone down for a guys weekend to Philly. Drink, ate and went to the Eagle game. just like Boston, Philly is definitely a pro town.

My buddy is an eagles fan and he was heckling the **** out of me for 3 quarters. That was really fun.

Found some similar threads, but the responses were kind of all over the place.

I'm hoping to attend the season opener on Thursday night and I'm looking for some advice. Never been to Boston, might fly in Monday night and leave Friday morning.

Should I fly into Logan? Good places to stay? Time to leave for the game? Best way to get there? Patriot Place experience? Tailgating? When to see stuff, where to eat, make reservations?

Also, most importantly, where are the best places to sit? I definitely don't want to be surrounded by silence and people that refuse to stand.

Thanks guys
First and most importantly go to barstool sports and buy goodell clown shirts for you and whoever you are bringing.

I don't think you will have to worry about people not making noise or refusing to stand in any section for that game.
We sit in the 300s at about the 35-40 and I love being high up so I can see everything.

This is all great advice. Personally I'd fly into PVD and make my base Providence and do day trips to Boston and Newport. Everything is very concentrated here. If you're a foodie, Providence has some of the best restaurants in the country.

You mean Portland.

First and most importantly go to barstool sports and buy goodell clown shirts for you and whoever you are bringing.

I don't think you will have to worry about people not making noise or refusing to stand in any section for that game.
We sit in the 300s at about the 35-40 and I love being high up so I can see everything.

I had already planned on that

OP whatever you decide to do let me know, i have unlimited restaurants to suggest for Providence, Newport, Boston, and anywhere in between

Which places in Boston's North End would you suggest? I've been going there for lunch once or twice a month since I retired in 2008. Of the places that are open for lunch, I like Artu on Prince St and Carmelina's on Hanover.

Which places in Boston's North End would you suggest? I've been going there for lunch once or twice a month since I retired in 2008. Of the places that are open for lunch, I like Artu on Prince St and Carmelina's on Hanover.
We like Beneventos on Salem Street (small, dark hole-in-the-wall but good food, large portions and reasonable prices for the North End). It also has pizza, a must for one of my kids (and not found at many North End restaurants, surprisingly). L'Osteria across the street from Beneventos is good too, is bigger and never seems crowded (but no pizza!). And of course, you cannot go wrong if you are a pizza lover with the original Pizzeria Regina on Thacher Street (but don't go there if you don't like pizza, as that is all they serve). Go at offbeat times to avoid the line. Antico Forno on Salem Street is hit-or-miss for me. Sometimes good, sometimes eh, but it has the ability to seat a large party (also not that common in the North End!). We tend to stick to Salem Street as our forays into the North End usually include a Bruins game and Salem Street is closest to TD Garden. Love the North End for just strolling around!

My advice is to fly in on Monday, stay in Boston until Wednesday. On Thursday morning rent a car,, check into a hotel at Foxboro/Walpole. Hang out during the day at Patriots place (hall of fame). Then tailgate at about 4:30......After the game, go back to your hotel that is close....fly out on Friday.

Word of warning. If you want to tailgate, the train is out -- it doesn't get there early enough or leave late enough. On the other hand, renting a car in Boston may be difficult for the reasons stated. But a short-term rental (Zipcar?) might be an option. Or you could stay in the Provinces (oh, sorry ... I meant to type Providence :rolleyes:).
Also, the t
You mean Portland.
Nah, not at all. But I'm sure it's fine there too. Portland does have better breweries,

Honestly I really like Neptune Oyster and Mare (if you are a seafood person.) Bricco is really good but they aren't open for lunch. Considering you said North End I'm assuming you are leaning towards Italian? If so, hit up Toscano on Charles St and at some point, get down to Coppa on Shawmut. Those two are my go-to for Italian in the city. Quick uber ride from wherever you are :)

We like Beneventos on Salem Street (small, dark hole-in-the-wall but good food, large portions and reasonable prices for the North End). It also has pizza, a must for one of my kids (and not found at many North End restaurants, surprisingly). L'Osteria across the street from Beneventos is good too, is bigger and never seems crowded (but no pizza!). And of course, you cannot go wrong if you are a pizza lover with the original Pizzeria Regina on Thacher Street (but don't go there if you don't like pizza, as that is all they serve). Go at offbeat times to avoid the line. Antico Forno on Salem Street is hit-or-miss for me. Sometimes good, sometimes eh, but it has the ability to seat a large party (also not that common in the North End!). We tend to stick to Salem Street as our forays into the North End usually include a Bruins game and Salem Street is closest to TD Garden. Love the North End for just strolling around!

Thanks for the help. I used to run into the North End for pizza at Ernesto's on Salem. I haven't been there in years.

One thing that I learned is that there's free parking on Hanover for two hours from 12-5 each weekday. I always find a spot but sometimes I have to do a quick u-turn or go around the block. The free parking starts right after the fire station about halfway down Hanover from Atlantic Ave.

Thanks for the help. I used to run into the North End for pizza at Ernesto's on Salem. I haven't been there in years.

One thing that I learned is that there's free parking on Hanover for two hours from 12-5 each weekday. I always find a spot but sometimes I have to do a quick u-turn or go around the block. The free parking starts right after the fire station about halfway down Hanover from Atlantic Ave.
Good to know - thanks!

Honestly I really like Neptune Oyster and Mare (if you are a seafood person.) Bricco is really good but they aren't open for lunch. Considering you said North End I'm assuming you are leaning towards Italian? If so, hit up Toscano on Charles St and at some point, get down to Coppa on Shawmut. Those two are my go-to for Italian in the city. Quick uber ride from wherever you are :)

Sounds great. Thanks. Italian food has always been a favorite of mine. That, seafood and a good steak just about covers it all for me.

Edit: As a matter of fact, we're heading to the North End right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back