PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Atlanta's Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have had a great post season run playing against a Seahwaks team that played a 40% Richard Sherman . . .

Hawks really, really missed Earl Thomas in that game.

The Atlanta defense is a fast free flowing defense.

Our backs should have a huge game from screen passes.

If the o line plays well, we win!

You are largely right, personally I have allot of respect for Ben. He has always found a way to win. He has been to 3 SB and won 2 of them. A win for him this past Sunday and we have a qb on his way to his 4th, not too shabby. Honestly the only QB I fear is named Eli. That little goober is clutch when it is nut cutting time. Just for the record, I really enjoyMatt Ryan's game too. It's nice to see him get his due, more so than the whiny choke artist in Carolina.
Ben was absolutely horrible in the SB win over the Seahawks - he got lucky others pulled his lame ass out of the fire - a 22.6 passing rating that game,thats right a 22.6 passing rating...you could almost say he didnt deserve a championship t shirt and hat after that game lol

The Atlanta defense is a fast free flowing defense.

Our backs should have a huge game from screen passes.

If the o line plays well, we win!
James White will be OUR Tevin Coleman type player in this game,I don't want to play coach but I think you shock the Falcons by using more James White than Lewis who they will game plan for - wont be surprised if White has a superb game compared to Lewis and we all know he is capable of crushing it when he gets the rock

Glad you brought that up! Yes you are right we haven't seen the challenge Tom Brady provides. He is the best QB.....most likely ever. We have seen the hottest QB the in last 8 games and we beat him by 20+ points. I can come back and say you haven't seen a top 10 QB all year, and that's including the playoffs! You got a QB running the top 8 scoring offence EVER in the history of the NFL. Falcons fans are are tired of being dismissed as a fluke. Yes respect is earned. NE has earned theirs. I hope we can earn yours Feb 5th
Your Falcons cover up their defensive weakness by their offense scoring in bunches which makes the defense lay back a little and look better than they actually are...this is possibly the worst underlying defense the pats have played in any Super Bowl in the Brady era...once a team goes neck and neck with them,in particular an experienced team like the Pats,I think that where the ugliness of your defense will show its regular season puke stats vs QBs where they were ranked worst in the NFL -if your team does not pressure and sack Brady consistently in this game,then I have no doubts your team will need 45-50 points to win this game.

Last edited:
The Falcons are like the 2010/2011 Patriots: Excellent, balanced offense, ton of play makers and a great QB. But...on the other side of the coin, there's a crap defense, with one or two playmakers who can cause a timely turnover, but an inexperienced and very mediocre secondary.

I think the Falcons will hang around, but I can't see how they beat us. Our Defense can and will get stops against their O. But how the heck will they get stops against ours?

This game reminds of 2011, except this time, we're the Giants and they're the Pats.

Pats will need to run and be successful doing it vs ATL, which they should be able to do. TD drives taking 6-7 minutes off the clock and limiting the number of ATL's offensive possessions will be key.

The Falcons are like the 2010/2011 Patriots: Excellent, balanced offense, ton of play makers and a great QB. But...on the other side of the coin, there's a crap defense, with one or two playmakers who can cause a timely turnover, but an inexperienced and very mediocre secondary.

I think the Falcons will hang around, but I can't see how they beat us. Our Defense can and will get stops against their O. But how the heck will they get stops against ours?

This game reminds of 2011, except this time, we're the Giants and they're the Pats.
Strikes me as a Red Zone conversion game. If the Pats D keeps Atlanta to FGs opposed to TDs and the opposite occurs, the Pats win.

Some comments on the comments:

4. Success against the run game is clearly their defense's achilles heel. My question is do the Pats have the conviction and patience to commit to it over the course of 60 minutes. History would say no, because that would mean taking the ball out of the GOAT's hands. That's a conundrum for any OC.

;)

We were able to do it in against the colts 3 times in 2013 and 2014 seasons. My question to you is would this be a game where we can come out in the jumbo set and try the same thing? I'm not sure how this Atlanta defense stacks up compared to those Colts teams so was interested to hear your thoughts as you are one of the more knowledeable guys here. I too share the same concern that after Edelman/Hogan there hasn't been much production on the recieving end these 2 playoff games. A good run game would certainly help.

Hello everybody. I've been lurking for a while, as I fully anticipated that Atlanta would be playing NE in the Super Bowl. Anyway, you guys seem to be under the impression that the Falcons defense is bad, and rightfully so based on the numbers. However, things aren't always as they appear to be, and certainly aren't in this case. If you only pay attention to the box score, then you are pretty misinformed like the rest of the world is.

Take a look at the first post in this thread 14 Reasons I Smile & Nod When Folks Trash Our Defense [Updated] . You might blow this off without putting things into perspective, but the majority of the points and yards given up by this D were in garbage time in the 4th quarter after the offense was up by 2+ scores. The games listed show the time in which Atlanta stopped attacking, and started trading yards/points for time.

There was a learning curve for Dan Quinn figuring out when to employ this method (as it almost cost them a few games early), but by the second half of the season he had it honed in pretty well. He will gladly trade yards/points for time off of the clock in the 4th quarter. The younger/newer players got some playing time, and this defense is better off for it.

You would never have known it without watching the games, but the defense is actually pretty good. They will give up a few points to start the game, but Dan Quinn is a master at adjusting during the game to shut an opposing offense down. The defense is pretty darn good in the second and third quarters, especially the third.

They are pretty good at creating turnovers, as well. For example, when Collins stripped the ball from Ripkowski as he pushed inside of the 10 yard line (see how I said Collins stripped it instead of Ripkowski fumbled it as that's what happened), or when Beasley put pressure on Rodgers which affected his throw resulting in an INT for example.

I've watched this team for as long as I can remember, and this offense is by far the best in team history, and is the 7th best ever in NFL history. That is part of the reason the 4th quarter defensive stats look so poorly. The offense is usually up by 20+. Your defense is typically pretty solid, but they haven't played an offense this year that was even remotely as good Atlanta's is.

I can go on and on about shoulda coulda wouldas (like how Atlanta was 2 bad end of game no calls and a pick-2 away from being 14-2), but I'll spare you on that. Those moments only fueled the fire that is burning deep inside of them right now. Any other year, and I put my money NE. This year, though....

All I'm saying is don't discount this defense. They are much better than you think. Don't be surprised if your offense initially looks all world, then disappears for a few quarters.

Hello everybody. I've been lurking for a while, as I fully anticipated that Atlanta would be playing NE in the Super Bowl. Anyway, you guys seem to be under the impression that the Falcons defense is bad, and rightfully so based on the numbers. However, things aren't always as they appear to be, and certainly aren't in this case. If you only pay attention to the box score, then you are pretty misinformed like the rest of the world is.

Take a look at the first post in this thread 14 Reasons I Smile & Nod When Folks Trash Our Defense [Updated] . You might blow this off without putting things into perspective, but the majority of the points and yards given up by this D were in garbage time in the 4th quarter after the offense was up by 2+ scores. The games listed show the time in which Atlanta stopped attacking, and started trading yards/points for time.

There was a learning curve for Dan Quinn figuring out when to employ this method (as it almost cost them a few games early), but by the second half of the season he had it honed in pretty well. He will gladly trade yards/points for time off of the clock in the 4th quarter. The younger/newer players got some playing time, and this defense is better off for it.

Dan Quinn is a master at adjusting during the game to shut an opposing offense down. The defense is pretty darn good in the second and third quarters, especially the third.

Welcome. And than you for sharing this :) I had know idea the Falcons were taking this approach to defense. In some respects, it's impressive. But then again, if you're playing the Patriots, you need to play more than three quarters. Can the Falcons defense hold up for a full 60 minutes when the lead is less than 2 scores?

Interesting finding here.....

Points Allowed Through 3 Quarters
  1. Patriots - 170
  2. Seahawks - 192
  3. Cowboys - 207
  4. Ravens - 212
  5. Giants - 216
  6. Texans - 216
  7. Steelers - 219
  8. Vikings - 219
  9. Broncos - 221
  10. Bengals - 221
  11. Chiefs - 223
  12. Panthers - 241
  13. Lions - 246
  14. Falcons - 247
  15. Eagles - 257
  16. Cardinals - 262
  17. Dolphins - 263
  18. Colts - 265
  19. Redskins - 266
  20. Packers - 266
  21. Titans - 267
  22. Bears - 276
  23. Rams - 278
  24. Chargers - 284
  25. Raiders - 284
  26. Bucs - 288
  27. Jaguars - 290
  28. Bills - 290
  29. Jets - 313
  30. Browns - 333
  31. Saints - 338
  32. 49ers - 343

Yeah, the defensive approach has certainly been different this year. They typically start out in cover 3 for the first 2-3 drives, and then adjust based upon what the opposition is running to neutralize them. Under Smith, they seemed to run a self described "hybrid" defense with Nolan running the ship. Adjustments were nowhere to be found, along with any sort of identity. It was the most frustrating thing I have ever seen.

With Quinn, I feel like the people in the commercials where they are like this must be what so and so feels like when they scored the game winning touchdown. I immediately thought about the Pats. I was thinking this is what it must feel like to have been a Pat's fan for the last two decades, lol. We have an offensive wizard directing a crazy explosive, multiple style offense, and the defense actually adjusts to what the opposition is doing on offense.

One of the factors helping your defense out, statistically, is that they only faced 5 top half offenses all year, and only 1 in the second half of the year. Atlanta has faced 11 all year, and 5 since week 10 alone. The one top half offense you guys played in the second half of the season hung 31 on your D at home in your loss to Seattle. I know your D is legit, though, and you have the TB/BB factor.

I'm expecting a really good game, and I think it will come down to the wire. I think ATL will surprise a lot of people that haven't watched them all year.

Last edited:
Welcome. And than you for sharing this :) I had know idea the Falcons were taking this approach to defense. In some respects, it's impressive. But then again, if you're playing the Patriots, you need to play more than three quarters. Can the Falcons defense hold up for a full 60 minutes when the lead is less than 2 scores?

1. Patriots - 170
  2. Seahawks - 192
  3. Cowboys - 207
  4. Ravens - 212
  5. Giants - 216
  6. Texans - 216
  7. Steelers - 219
  8. Vikings - 219
  9. Broncos - 221
  10. Bengals - 221
  11. Chiefs - 223
  12. Panthers - 241
  13. Lions - 246
  14. Falcons - 247
  15. Eagles - 257
  16. Cardinals - 262
  17. Dolphins - 263
  18. Colts - 265
  19. Redskins - 266
  20. Packers - 266
  21. Titans - 267
  22. Bears - 276
  23. Rams - 278
  24. Chargers - 284
  25. Raiders - 284
  26. Bucs - 288
  27. Jaguars - 290
  28. Bills - 290
  29. Jets - 313
  30. Browns - 333
  31. Saints - 338
  32. 49ers - 343

1. Patriots - 170
  2. Seahawks - 192
  3. Cowboys - 207
  4. Ravens - 212
  5. Giants - 216
  6. Texans - 216
  7. Steelers - 219
  8. Vikings - 219
  9. Broncos - 221
  10. Bengals - 221
  11. Chiefs - 223
  12. Panthers - 241
  13. Lions - 246
  14. Falcons - 247
  15. Eagles - 257
  16. Cardinals - 262
  17. Dolphins - 263
  18. Colts - 265
  19. Redskins - 266
  20. Packers - 266
  21. Titans - 267
  22. Bears - 276
  23. Rams - 278
  24. Chargers - 284
  25. Raiders - 284
  26. Bucs - 288
  27. Jaguars - 290
  28. Bills - 290
  29. Jets - 313
  30. Browns - 333
  31. Saints - 338
  32. 49ers - 343
well this blows up his theory,,lol

You would never have known it without watching the games, but the defense is actually pretty good. They will give up a few points to start the game, but Dan Quinn is a master at adjusting during the game to shut an opposing offense down. The defense is pretty darn good in the second and third quarters, especially the third.

They are pretty good at creating turnovers, as well. For example, when Collins stripped the ball from Ripkowski as he pushed inside of the 10 yard line (see how I said Collins stripped it instead of Ripkowski fumbled it as that's what happened), or when Beasley put pressure on Rodgers which affected his throw resulting in an INT for example.

I've watched this team for as long as I can remember, and this offense is by far the best in team history, and is the 7th best ever in NFL history. That is part of the reason the 4th quarter defensive stats look so poorly. The offense is usually up by 20+. Your defense is typically pretty solid, but they haven't played an offense this year that was even remotely as good Atlanta's is.

I can go on and on about shoulda coulda wouldas (like how Atlanta was 2 bad end of game no calls and a pick-2 away from being 14-2), but I'll spare you on that. Those moments only fueled the fire that is burning deep inside of them right now. Any other year, and I put my money NE. This year, though....

All I'm saying is don't discount this defense. They are much better than you think. Don't be surprised if your offense initially looks all world, then disappears for a few quarters.
Great to get a detailed perspective on Falcon's defense. I do agree that statistics sometimes can be quite misleading. I do agree that the Falcons defense as shown in playoffs against 2 high quality offenses (Seattle and GB) has been pretty good. The D is undoubtedly better now then at the start of the year and they do have some very talented young players.
These are two evenly matched teams...BUT...there is some evidence that dome teams offense AND defense performs considerably worse when they play away from home in non dome stadiums. I believe if the dome is open on SB Sunday that will be a big advantage for Pats, If the dome is closed I thing its a big advantage for falcons.

H
How so? 1st and 4th quarters are the worst two quarters for Atlanta's defense. If Atlanta has the 25th worst scoring defense through all four quarters, then I would consider an 11 place jump in the positive only counting 1-3 to be pretty significant. Atlanta's 4th quarter scoring D is 31st. If you look at the post I linked earlier, then you'll see why. Garbage time scores skewed things pretty badly. This proves my point rather than blowing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back