PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Atlanta's Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive heard all these arguments before...and I expected it...mostly in 2011 from fans here to talk up the defense. Heard the same arguments about the steelers defense before we played them from steelers fans and scared fans here about how they changed and stats lie.....But stats do matter. Houston had a defense ranked top 5-10 in all categories and slowed the pats somewhat. Steelers had a middle of the pack defense and brady shredded it...even if we say atlanta has a middle of the pack defense

Do you really think Atlanta has the personnel or defensive scheme to slow brady? I dont see it. The patriots faced many top defenses this year and postseason and shredded them. The only ones able to slow them down somewhat with brady were houston, broncos and jets in the first game and Atlanta is not close to any of those

How is Atlantas Defense under-rated? They are 25th in the league in points allowed and 27th in the league in yards allowed.

They lost to the buccaneers, seahawks, chargers, eagles, and chiefs. They had total blowout wins against the Saints, Buccaneers, Rams, and 49ers. Not exactly good teams seeing how non of them even made the playffs. Those teams have a combined record of 22-42. They have had a great post season run playing against a Seahwaks team that played a 40% Richard Sherman, and GB didn't seem to even show up. So I do not see how they are under-rated at all.
What about the Atlanta defense shows they are under-rated?

They gave up an average of 20.5 points per game since their BYE week and lost to the only team that even made the playoffs. All the other teams had a losing record and 2 of them included the Rams and 49ers.

How how how are they under-rated?

All this crap about how the Falcons are surging and the Pats beat a bunch of softies is so uninformed.

Over the last 8 games:

Record
Pats 7-1
Fakecons 6-2
Advantage Pats

Points allowed
Pats 111
Fakecons 165
Big advantage Pats

Opponents W/L
Pats 53-74
Fakecons 54-73
Push

Not pretending I've watched the Falcons that much, or that Volin has a clue, but this is kind of funny for what it is.

If our defense wants respect, this is the game to show up.

F respect. If our defense wants rings, this is the game to show up. It will be their toughest test all year by far.

You got a QB running the top 8 scoring offence EVER in the history of the NFL. Falcons fans are are tired of being dismissed as a fluke. Yes respect is earned. NE has earned theirs. I hope we can earn yours Feb 5th

Well said, but I think Atlanta MattyIce is going to wait a year or two before he gets his ring, even if he finally gets the respect he deserves.

This game reminds of 2011, except this time, we're the Giants and they're the Pats.

Yep.

The Falcons have somehow managed to give-up 100 ypg at a 5.3 ypc clip this post-season, despite facing a Green Bay team that was relegated to passing early on and lacked a fifth OLman or lead running back. I think the ball control offense, using short passes and a healthy mix of RBs, will make for a short game where the success of individual possessions matter more and New England comes out on top of a much lower scoring game than the Vegas line.

I'm not saying stats don't matter. They certainly tell a story. What I'm saying is don't let the garbage time stats cause you to underestimate this defense. They are much better than the stats. The proof is in the link I posted. My problem with them is that their prevent allows other teams to score too quickly without burning much clock. Combine that with the offense no longer attacking, and you get the 31st ranked scoring D in the 4th quarter.

I'm not saying stats don't matter. They certainly tell a story. What I'm saying is don't let the garbage time stats cause you to underestimate this defense. They are much better than the stats. The proof is in the link I posted. My problem with them is that their prevent allows other teams to score too quickly without burning much clock. Combine that with the offense no longer attacking, and you get the 31st ranked scoring D in the 4th quarter.

What else can you tell us? Haven't watched many Falcons games this season

What else can you tell us? Haven't watched many Falcons games this season
Our offense is similar in uniqueness to yours. Shanahan and Ryan are completely on the same page. They worked out their differences over the offseason, and Shanahan brought back some of Koetter's/Mularkey's offense that Ryan excelled at and incorporated that into his offense. Couple that with Ryan visiting the same QB gurus in Beverly Hills that TB and Drew Brees have been using, and the results are astonishing.

There really isn't a true identity for this offense. They line up in every formation imaginable, and exploit mismatches on nearly every play. Ryan set an NFL record for most yards per attempt with a minimum of 400 attempts at 9.26. He also set an NFL record for throwing a TD to 13 different receivers.

When you shut down Julio, Sanu steps up. Shut down Sanu, too, then Gabriel is blowing the top off of the D. Bracket all of the receivers, our 2nd/3rd/4th/and 5th string TE's have scored. And you still have two RBs that run routes as well as our receivers. Shanahan can scheme guys open very well.

Honestly, I see this game pretty evenly matched overall. I give our offense the nod, and your defense he nod. It's going to come down to turnovers and FGs vs TDs. I'd like to predict confidently that we'll win by two scores, but this is the Super Bowl, and it's vs TB/BB. To be the best....well you know the rest. Win or lose, I'm excited. It's going to be a nail biter.

The problem for you guys in breaking down our defense is you never get to see them play. If your are a die hard (assuming you don't watch other teams on NFL GamePass, etc.), you've seen them play 4 times this season (MNF, SNF, 2 playoff games).

When evaluating Altanta's pass defense, you have to consider game situations. The week 17 win vs. Brees is a great example. We play tight defense until we get up three scores, then we sit back in a traditional Seattle 3 deep zone, but we play it passively. We don't matchup in the zones, we just keep all receivers in each zone in front of the defenders. We force Brees into a 5 plus minute 4th quarter drive, but the game gets too close for comfort at the end due to a successful onsides kick. Quinn is very willing to trade yards for clock time when up late in a game. While Football Outsiders stats do adjust for opponents and smooth some stats like turnovers, they don't adjust for game situation. A harmless yard and a yard you were really trying to stop all look the same. If you want to do some interesting research, go look at what Atlanta's defense gave up in games in which the Falcons were trailing or up by less than two score. Then look at what the gave up after going up by at least two scores. You have to go back to weeks 2 and 3 (Oakland and New Orleans, both road wins against better QBs than the Patriots faced all season) to see our defense giving up silly yardage in a close game. Our 4 starting rookies (3 when not in nickle) only had 1 to 2 weeks of experience then...they now have 18. That is a big difference. Since we are not likely to enjoy a 15 point lead, I don't think anyone should expect our defense to look like the 27th ranked pass defense. Game situation matters.

I just wanted to give you all some background on the Falcons pass D. It isn't steller, but to think its 27th ranking is indicative of what you can expect in the Superbowl is a bit of a stretch. If it was really that bad, it wouldn't have mattered that Wilson is a pretender who needs a run game and AR had banged up receivers.

Side note, we are pretty poor at covering RBs out of the backfield. That is what our base scheme gives you, so taking the free 3-7 yards before the LBs and safeties rally up and apply the heat may not be a bad plan. If your receiving RBs can stand up to a beating, it is a good way to control the clock and the ball...just don't fumble.

It's going to come down to turnovers and FGs vs TDs.

Of course thats an obvious thing to say .. and Pats would take that in a minute.

But what this games many times come down to is character. The main characteristic of Falcons (as BB also emphasised today) is speed. Also in terms of rythm, looks, early scoring. The main characteristic of Patriots is toughness. This means LOS, YAC, ST, all-field-blocking and of course tackling. If you see your team totally possessing fundamentals .. you have to feel good about it no matter what opposition brings.

Of course thats an obvious thing to say .. and Pats would take that in a minute.

But what this games many times come down to is character. The main characteristic of Falcons (as BB also emphasised today) is speed. Also in terms of rythm, looks, early scoring. The main characteristic of Patriots is toughness. This means LOS, YAC, ST, all-field-blocking and of course tackling. If you see your team totally possessing fundamentals .. you have to feel good about it no matter what opposition brings.
That's why I feel good about this game. I am 50/50 on it right now. I think this is as evenly a matched game as I have seen in quite some time. We have a Pats style offense with a Seattle type D. Don't get me wrong, NE played a good game two years ago in the super bowl, but Seattle's defense didn't lose them that game. Their decision to throw it on 1st and goal from the 1 yard line instead of running beast mode up the middle 4 times cost them that game. DQ's defense put them in position for back to back. I am in no way trying to say our defense in on the same level as Seattle's from 2013 and 2014, but it isn't exactly that far off either.

Laugh all you want at that, but Collins has actually been an upgrade over Tru, and Neal has been on par with if not better than Kam this year. Our FS has given up only one explosive play all year. Our linebackers consist of two DROY candidates, and a second year player that led the league in sacks. Our NB Poole is a punisher, and sticks to receivers like glue.

Our weakness is 0-5 yard passes, and a consistent running game. Our offense usually scores a little over once every other drive, so that usually isn't a factor due to teams becoming one dimensional playing catch-up. That stupid prevent D has severely screwed up their stats, but that only makes people underestimate them. I'm anticipating a last minute drive to win it. I'm hoping for a blowout in our favor. I fear your D making our offense score well below their average, but I'm hopeful that won't be the case seeing as though you haven't seen a top ten QB all year, and we've seen many.

That's why I feel good about this game. I am 50/50 on it right now. I think this is as evenly a matched game as I have seen in quite some time. We have a Pats style offense with a Seattle type D. Don't get me wrong, NE played a good game two years ago in the super bowl, but Seattle's defense didn't lose them that game. Their decision to throw it on 1st and goal from the 1 yard line instead of running beast mode up the middle 4 times cost them that game. DQ's defense put them in position for back to back. I am in no way trying to say our defense in on the same level as Seattle's from 2013 and 2014, but it isn't exactly that far off either.

Seattle's defense absolutely did have their part in losing that super bowl. Being shredded in the fourth quarter while being trusted to help hold a 10 point lead (and coughing up that lead with two minutes left) is certainly not totally on the Seahawks offense.I give most of the credit to an iconic performance by TB12 but to completely let Dan Quinn's defense off the hook like you are doing here is quite ridiculous and needs to be called out.

Seattle's defense absolutely did have their part in losing that super bowl. Being shredded in the fourth quarter while being trusted to help hold a 10 point lead (and coughing up that lead with two minutes left) is certainly not totally on the Seahawks offense.I give most of the credit to an iconic performance by TB12 but to completely let Dan Quinn's defense off the hook like you are doing here is quite ridiculous and needs to be called out.
So you are saying that their offense didn't get conservative, causing their defense to be on the field longer than they should have been against a really good offense that would capitalize?

"Yeah we get ahead by 30 points and then allow the other team to score 28, yeah that's the ticket"
hqdefault.jpg

So you are saying that their offense didn't get conservative, causing their defense to be on the field longer than they should have been against a really good offense that would capitalize?

Not saying that at all, what I'm saying (if you read the post again) is that you letting Dan Quinn and his defense off the hook completely is utterly ridiculous. Saying the defense put the offense in a position to win when the defense allowed 28 points is certainly a flawed statement.

If you want to be taken seriously, you probably shouldn't post such absurd statements.
I know you don't believe me, but you haven't watched every single game of ours either like I have. Prior to our bye, I would have never said such a thing, but since then a light has come on for them. They have straight dominated opposing offenses including the number 2 offense in the the Saints. They had only scored 13 points all the way up until 6 minutes remained in that game before going into our famous ultra conservative mode. You can say what you want about Green Bay's mash unit last week, but no other team holds them scoreless through 2.5 quarters. Our D is fast, young, and very physical. Try watching a few of our last few games. It won't be as crazy of a statement as you think. They only give up tons of scores whenever they go conservative. Until then, they do just enough to let their offense go up by 2-3 scores. But, you'll see in 12 days, thoughs.

I think that the constant emphasis on how the Patriots "find a way to win" through superior technique and coaching while at a talent disadvantage is a little misleading to the general NFL fanbase. The Patriots outschemed the Steelers, sure, but essentially they were just more talented. The Patriots brought better players to the game than the Steelers.

The Patriots are a talented, well-rounded team. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll win the game, but they're every bit as talented as Atlanta, if not more. It's not likely the Falcons offense is going to have their way with the Patriots' defense. If they do, then the Patriots will probably lose.

Offensively, the Patriots are pretty objectively more talented than the Falcons defense... I think that's a pretty fair assessment. Sorry if I sound like a homer.

I know you don't believe me, but you haven't watched every single game of ours either like I have. Prior to our bye, I would have never said such a thing, but since then a light has come on for them. They have straight dominated opposing offenses including the number 2 offense in the the Saints. They had only scored 13 points all the way up until 6 minutes remained in that game before going into our famous ultra conservative mode. You can say what you want about Green Bay's mash unit last week, but no other team holds them scoreless through 2.5 quarters. Our D is fast, young, and very physical. Try watching a few of our last few games. It won't be as crazy of a statement as you think. They only give up tons of scores whenever they go conservative. Until then, they do just enough to let their offense go up by 2-3 scores. But, you'll see in 12 days, thoughs.

The Saints put up 473 yards and led time of possession in that game, despite having a turnover. Sorry, but when you have a 25 point lead and your defense gives up 19 unanswered points, you can blame conservative playcalling on *maybe* the first score. By that time, a good defensive coaching staff would abandon a prevent style defense. Also, even a prevent defense tightens up in the red zone. That's the point.

If they failed to abandon the prevent after the first Saints score, that's a coaching flaw that presumably can be exploited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back