PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Atlanta's Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you don't believe me, but you haven't watched every single game of ours either like I have. Prior to our bye, I would have never said such a thing, but since then a light has come on for them. They have straight dominated opposing offenses including the number 2 offense in the the Saints. They had only scored 13 points all the way up until 6 minutes remained in that game before going into our famous ultra conservative mode. You can say what you want about Green Bay's mash unit last week, but no other team holds them scoreless through 2.5 quarters. Our D is fast, young, and very physical. Try watching a few of our last few games. It won't be as crazy of a statement as you think. They only give up tons of scores whenever they go conservative. Until then, they do just enough to let their offense go up by 2-3 scores. But, you'll see in 12 days, thoughs.

Cool story, but this was the exact same narrative that was put out last week regarding Pittsburgh's defense - "the hottest defense over the last 8 weeks." That meant nothing, since their defense didn't match up well with the NE offense. Atlanta's defense doesn't match up well either.

Also, allowing 30+ and letting your opponent back into the game isn't a dominating performance by any stretch. And this past week, that GB Mash unit was moving the ball easily at the start of the game, they just missed a FG and fumbled inside the 5.

The Saints put up 473 yards and led time of possession in that game, despite having a turnover. Sorry, but when you have a 25 point lead and your defense gives up 19 unanswered points, you can blame conservative playcalling on *maybe* the first score. By that time, a good defensive coaching staff would abandon a prevent style defense. Also, even a prevent defense tightens up in the red zone. That's the point.

If they failed to abandon the prevent after the first Saints score, that's a coaching flaw that presumably can be exploited.

So the Patriots in the Miami game? What was that? I recall them playing pretty soft for most of the second half and a 24-0 lead ended up 31-24 win. I'm not trying to be a smart ass. Did they stop playing soft after the first score?

So the Patriots in the Miami game? What was that? I recall them playing pretty soft for most of the second half and a 24-0 lead ended up 31-24 win. I'm not trying to be a smart ass. Did they stop playing soft after the first score?

That game was in September. The Pats defense wasn't close then to what it is now. Just like the Falcons defense has improved, just more.

That's an example of a bad defensive performance. I could never imagine bragging about such a performance like the Falcons fan is doing. But when you've got a horrendous defense, I guess you'll try to find any positive you can.

I know you don't believe me, but you haven't watched every single game of ours either like I have. Prior to our bye, I would have never said such a thing, but since then a light has come on for them. They have straight dominated opposing offenses including the number 2 offense in the the Saints. They had only scored 13 points all the way up until 6 minutes remained in that game before going into our famous ultra conservative mode. You can say what you want about Green Bay's mash unit last week, but no other team holds them scoreless through 2.5 quarters. Our D is fast, young, and very physical. Try watching a few of our last few games. It won't be as crazy of a statement as you think. They only give up tons of scores whenever they go conservative. Until then, they do just enough to let their offense go up by 2-3 scores. But, you'll see in 12 days, thoughs.

It's easier to play defense when the other team is one dimensional. You have to admit your defense is still a question mark in a tight game late. The Patriots defense arguably isn't a question mark

That game was in September. The Pats defense wasn't close then to what it is now. Just like the Falcons defense has improved, just more.

I'm just trying to keep you honest here. You said it was a coaching flaw to not go away from the prevent after the saints first score. Reguardless of when the Miami game was played, the Patriots either made that same decision the Falcons did, or they didn't. Take your pick. I'd say they they played pretty soft defensively for almost the entire half, and I think that was the smart decision

Also, the Patriots have blown out a lot of teams this season, yet *didn't* give up late yardage and points.

I'm just trying to keep you honest here. You said it was a coaching flaw to not go away from the prevent after the saints first score. Reguardless of when the Miami game was played, the Patriots either made that same decision the Falcons did, or they didn't. Take your pick. I'd say they they played pretty soft defensively for almost the entire half, and I think that was the smart decision

I honestly don't remember off the top of my head, but in a game in September with Tom Brady and Jimmy Garrapolo out, I'd be shocked if they went with prevent when the Dolphins started creeping back in.

Generally, you want to get away from prevent when the game is back within a couple scores or a couple touchdowns and a field goal, depending on how much time is left. Sticking with it beyond that is done, but it typically doesn't end well.

Also, if the Pats aoches did stick with it, then yes, it was a coaching mistake. The fact that it was September is relevant because this isn't September, it's the Superbowl.

Cool story, but this was the exact same narrative that was put out last week regarding Pittsburgh's defense - "the hottest defense over the last 8 weeks." That meant nothing, since their defense didn't match up well with the NE offense. Atlanta's defense doesn't match up well either.

Also, allowing 30+ and letting your opponent back into the game isn't a dominating performance by any stretch. And this past week, that GB Mash unit was moving the ball easily at the start of the game, they just missed a FG and fumbled inside the 5.
And while the Atlanta D deserves some credit for those stops, The packers O and specials deserves blame too. Once it was 17-0, the packers had to abondon the run to a certain degree, making it much easier to judge the falcons defense. The Patriots are going to move the ball, we know that, can the Falcons get stops and hold us to 3? Remains to be seen. If we fall behind 2-3 scores. Coming back will be very difficult. Always is

I honestly don't remember off the top of my head, but in a game in September with Tom Brady out, I'd be shocked if they went with prevent when the Dolphins started creeping back in.

Generally, you want to get away from prevent when the game is back within a couple scores or a couple touchdowns and a field goal, depending on how much time is left. Sticking with it beyond that is done, but it typically doesn't end well.

Also, if the Pats aoches did stick with it, then yes, it was a coaching mistake. The fact that it was September is relevant because this isn't September, it's the Superbowl.

Just to be clear. I'm not sure if the pats were playing prevent. But they certainly were not as aggressive with there D in the second half.

For those like myself, who are still trying to familiarize themselves with the Falcons' D, Bleacher Report came out with a very informative profile, that describes their growth over the season, including what stands out about their young starters. It also reviews how they rattled and pressured Aaron Rodgers, and how that might become the blueprint to disrupt Tom Brady.

I get the impression that they are trying to become a fast, hard-hitting defense along the lines of the 'Legion of Boom,' which Dan Quinn had a hand in putting together

Also, the first NO score in that fourth quarter of the January 1 game was with 12:41 left in the clock, not 6 minutes. The Saints had 4 drives and all four spanned at least fifty yards in that fourth quarter. One was an 89 yarder. They had 255 yards in that one quarter!!! You can't blame all of that on the prevent.

For those like myself, who are still trying to familiarize themselves with the Falcons' D, Bleacher Report came out with a very informative profile, that describes their growth over the season, including what stands out about their young starters. It also reviews how they rattled and pressured Aaron Rodgers, and how that might become the blueprint to disrupt Tom Brady.

I get the impression that they are trying to become a fast, hard-hitting defense along the lines of the 'Legion of Boom,' which Dan Quinn had a hand in putting together

I ain't reading that garbage. Blueprint to beat Brady using a Rodgers game plan? Lol.

Even Trollin Volin thinks the Pats will move the ball at will. If even he is saying that, no BS article trying to make people think otherwise is even remotely believeable.

Bedard on F&M today hesitated then sat on the fence about their D. That tells me all I need to know was well.

"Yeah we get ahead by 30 points and then allow the other team to score 28, yeah that's the ticket"
hqdefault.jpg
LMAO, yes that's pretty much how it went!

The Falcons defense has certainly gotten better. With that said, it's difficult to discount the untimely turnovers for the Packers. It will be an exciting game.

All I'm saying is that your defense isn't much better than Seattle's or Denver's. We've played the number 3 and 4 ranked scoring defenses while they were still healthy, and should have been 2-0 against them both. The only reason we lost to Seattle the first time ( 2nd week in a row on the road, the week after playing Denver) was because Julio decided to get gator arms and pop the ball in the air to Earl Thomas while we were driving to make it a 2 score game with 4 minutes left. Well that and the ref deciding that it was ok for ET and Sherman to hold Julio's arm while he tried to haul in a perfectly thrown ball from MR.

All I'm saying is that your defense isn't much better than Seattle's or Denver's. We've played the number 3 and 4 ranked scoring defenses while they were still healthy, and should have been 2-0 against them both. The only reason we lost to Seattle the first time ( 2nd week in a row on the road, the week after playing Denver) was because Julio decided to get gator arms and pop the ball in the air to Earl Thomas while we were driving to make it a 2 score game with 4 minutes left. Well that and the ref deciding that it was ok for ET and Sherman to hold Julio's arm while he tried to haul in a perfectly thrown ball from MR.

Look, I'm not saying Atlanta isn't a really good team or that the Patriots are necessarily better or going to win the game. All we really have to go by are numbers in a relative capacity. The numbers tell us that the Patriots offense is only slightly worse than that of the Falcons while the Patriots defense is significantly better than that of the Falcons.

Good news is: That crap doesn't mean anything when the game starts.

The question, to me, is this: does Atlanta have DB's who can match up in man coverage against the Pats' offense? If not, they will end up having a long day like Pittsburgh. If they do, the game will be very close, and Atlanta has a chance to outscore the Pats.

They play a 3 zone much like Seattle just not as good.

I'd be perfectly comfortable with NE holding Atlanta to similar point totals that either of those teams did, or even slightly higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back