PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

As much as I love Logan Mankins, would it have been better to put him on PUP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicilian

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Mankins is one of my favorite players, mostly because he's just a tough SOB. But could that tough, warrior mentality, be a bad thing recently? He's been out of practice all week with a hip problem, and I don't remember a specific incident (if I'm wrong please let me know) where that injury could occur. Could coming back from the knee so early have aggravated this new injury?

I know in the past when I've hurt a knee, or ankle, etc, and I'm forced to suddenly favor (subconsciously in many cases) one leg over another, it ends up bothering my hip or other joints that aren't used to the type of movements and pressures they're suddenly receiving.

This is pure speculation at this point, but if Mankins is going to be hampered by these little things for a while, would it have been better to PUP him and take our licks through six weeks to make sure he's right? Too late now, just wondering what others' takes on it were.

Why? He's missed zero games. Who cares if he practices as long as he plays.

Mankins is one of my favorite players, mostly because he's just a tough SOB. But could that tough, warrior mentality, be a bad thing recently? He's been out of practice all week with a hip problem, and I don't remember a specific incident (if I'm wrong please let me know) where that injury could occur. Could coming back from the knee so early have aggravated this new injury?

I know in the past when I've hurt a knee, or ankle, etc, and I'm forced to suddenly favor (subconsciously in many cases) one leg over another, it ends up bothering my hip or other joints that aren't used to the type of movements and pressures they're suddenly receiving.

This is pure speculation at this point, but if Mankins is going to be hampered by these little things for a while, would it have been better to PUP him and take our licks through six weeks to make sure he's right? Too late now, just wondering what others' takes on it were.

How about breaking rank with the rest of the board this week, and speculate about something positive?

Really, we are always hearing about so-and-so being 'made of glass' - now we get people thinking the worst based on the fact that a guy is willing to gut out an injury for the benefit of the team.

I can imagine the meltdown and Thomas bashing should he have to play any significant time at LG.

it's football.......people get roughed up

Why? He's missed zero games. Who cares if he practices as long as he plays.

Assuming he plays well, sure. I'm just thinking out loud, as it's something I'll be keeping an eye on going forward.

How about breaking rank with the rest of the board this week, and speculate about something positive?

Really, we are always hearing about so-and-so being 'made of glass' - now we get people thinking the worst based on the fact that a guy is willing to gut out an injury for the benefit of the team.

I can imagine the meltdown and Thomas bashing should he have to play any significant time at LG.

I don't expect everyone to have a file on every poster here, but I venture to guess that 99% of my posts are positive in nature. I'm generally a glass half-full kinda guy. I'm not saying that this was a careless blunder by anyone, it's just a situation that raises my eyebrow a bit.

I think you overreacted to the idea I put forth.

I think you raise a fine point here, he played injured in the last two Superbowls the Pats went to, and in both he didn't play very well, the first one he played like absolute crap, is it possible that the person behind him would play a bit better. Especially in the last Superbowl, were the line wasn't that bad.

I think you raise a fine point here, he played injured in the last two Superbowls the Pats went to, and in both he didn't play very well, the first one he played like absolute crap, is it possible that the person behind him would play a bit better. Especially in the last Superbowl, were the line wasn't that bad.

I don't think anyone behind him would play better, even if he's a little banged up, but I do think that a healthy Mankins absolutely plays better than an injured one. Now it's not really an option, because we really need all hands after a slow start, but it's one of those things that pops into my head. The emotional right thing to do was get back as soon as he good. Perhaps (and again, this is conjecture, he might be just fine) the intelligent right thing to do was to wait a few weeks.

He was involved in after-the-whistle stuff all game with the Ravens, so one of those pieces of #$%# probably did something intentional to injure him.

You can't put someone on the PUP after they've all ready been on the active roster. And they've already used up their one re-activate-IR slot.

You can't put someone on the PUP after they've all ready been on the active roster. And they've already used up their one re-activate-IR slot.

I'm aware of that. Hence the language, "Would it have been" and "Too late now."

I was hoping to breed a discussion regarding the actual benefits of forcing your way back from these kinds of injuries, and is the "courageous" thing always the RIGHT thing to do, but I don't think I did a good enough job kicking it off.

The hip preceded the baltimore game, he was limited Thursday and Friday heading into that. Bedard who tends to have his sources has speculated the hip may be a compensatory injury brought on by dealing with the ACL rehab. Hip and back problems often arise from compensating for a knee, ankle or foot injury because subconsciously you're doing something different to favor it.

The hip preceded the baltimore game, he was limited Thursday and Friday heading into that. Bedard who tends to have his sources has speculated the hip may be a compensatory injury brought on by dealing with the ACL rehab. Hip and back problems often arise from compensating for a knee, ankle or foot injury because subconsciously you're doing something different to favor it.

That's precisely what I was suggesting. Now my question is, is that the kind of thing that would be less likely to happen had he taken more time to rest, or would it have been just as likely until he'd worked through it, regardless of when he came back? Again, I'm not suggesting any egregious mismanagement here, just thinking out loud regarding what would have been best for the team/Logan short term versus long term.

Precisely as the OP speculated. Dunno why one star.

I just inflicted a compensatory on myself this week working out.

As I said in another thread, the cause of Mankins' injury is pure speculation. We do not know if he got it because he was favoring his surgically repaired knee, he took a helmet to the hip, or he slipped on the turf and pulled a muscle.

People are jumping to conclusions without any information.

People who question Mankins toughness need to be reminded that he played all last year with a torn ACL...

If he can, he will...

People who question Mankins toughness need to be reminded that he played all last year with a torn ACL...

If he can, he will...

No one in this thread has questioned Mankins toughness. Quite the opposite actually.

Here's some more speculation:

BB is lying on the injury report so opponents won't target the sore ACL. Mankins is just missing practice to rest his sore ACL.

Based on my experience (albeit as a distance runner as opposed to offensive lineman), I'd be awfully surprised if this is anything but a compensatory injury. I've had enough knee problem to know that running on a bad knee is a great way to screw up your hip. When you can't generate enough force at your knee, you try to do it other places, and the hip isn't used to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes