PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This is what happens when you have too much time on your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, you're going to use an injury as part of your excuse? Welker flat out c-h-o-k-e-d. On the biggest stage of them all. Poorly thrown ball? Yes, but it was put in area that a professional receiver that is wanting to be paid top 5 at his position should make. The fact of the matter is, Welker isn't a top 5 receiver (he's not even the best on the team). But you can ignore that, and just keep blaming God, Tebow, whoever for the loss.

I've got it! You're Gisele, right?

If you're claiming the Patriots would retain Welker simply to assuage Brady, I would submit it is you who is out to lunch.

Of course, there's also the matter of him putting up 1,500 yards despite there being no competent outside receivers on the team. I'm sure that would factor into it just a smidge.

It's a business. You don't think they're going to place a helluva lot of value in the opinion of their biggest asset?

Hey, ignorance is bliss.

to-crying1.jpg

Thats my Quarterback :cry2:

It's a business. You don't think they're going to place a helluva lot of value in the opinion of their biggest asset?

And given that fact, Brady will understand when BB does what's best for the team, as he has always done. I'm fairly sure Tom wears his big boy pants when he comes to Foxboro.

Bottom Line: Welker is a great example of a common conundrum that teams face in the league. Do you pay for what a player has done, or what he will do in the future. As one of the most productive players in the league over the past 5 years, Welker has EARNED a pay raise. But for the most part, players his age who finally make their DESERVED big pay day, RARELY play to the level of that final big contract for the full term of the deal.

If Welker DOES get his big payday and makes $8+MM over 3 years or more. It is VERY unlikely that 2 or 3 years down the road, his production on the field will equal what he is being paid and what his cap hit will be.

You are correct about the conundrum. In Welker's case, production will depend a lot on what is around him. He's still going to be a slot receiver with exceptional ability to run short routes. If Gronk and Hernandez continue at their 2011 level, which is probable, and, if the Patriots add a wideout to attract the opponent's best CB, Welker at $8m/year to $8.5m/year over three years is a solid move.

Welker's deal is about the receiving corps as a whole. Welker is the best at what he does, so he and Gronk (the best at what he does) seem like a set to me. As this board repeats ad nauseum, the outside the numbers receiver is the main weakness. They do not need to go elite there, though, just dependable and a consistent threat.

The thing about all of this is the running game. The Patriots need a big durable back to change defensive looks. In the Super Bowl, I kept flashing back to Corey Dillon and Antowain Smith. A stud back in that game changes the coverage and the options in the 4th quarter. Welker's (and Brady's) career is extended if the Patriots go after a top back like they did in '04 with Dillon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back