PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This is what happens when you have too much time on your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many things to think about in this thread, but the one thought I have above all is that if the Pats were to decide to invest big money in a player other than Welker, I'd prefer it be Mario Williams or someone that has the potential to be disruptive for them on defense (I know Williams will cost much more than Welker, I'm just talking in general philosophical terms) rather than Vincent Jackson. It's quite valid for those who have pointed out that the Pats offense has failed them just as much in the playoffs since 2005 as had the defense, so if they put the money into offense I'd be happy. I just want to see them get off the field on third down and be able to shut teams down at the end of games, so I'd prefer to see them spend on defense, especially at the "elephant" position and/or safety.

You're probably right about spending big on defense. I know I am guilty on focusing on the playoff games where the defense looked fine but really, it's not even close.

They NEED a very good safety and some quality lineman. Wilfork is getting up there in age, and I'm not sure that Deaderick and Love are all that talented.

I think if BB and co had the Choice between...V Jack - Bowe - Colston and Welker. I say they take one of the Big guys...regardless of how Brady might feel....ducks out of the way.:bricks:

I think if BB and co had the Choice between...V Jack - Bowe - Colston and Welker. I say they take one of the Big guys...regardless of how Brady might feel....ducks out of the way.:bricks:

Gisele agrees!

If Welker hits the open market, he's signing with the Jets. It's basically guaranteed. You'd definitely be able to get away with tagging and then trading him for a 2nd or so.

He still wants to get paid. The Jets are close to being in cap hell.

There certainly is a chance that Welker will break the bank and walk away.

One obvious destination is Kansas City -- Cassell is the one mediocre QB in the league with whom Welker has played outstandingly well in the past.

Detroit could really use Welker as well.

Where the hell will Detroit play him ?

Calvin Johnson - Bureleson - Titus Young ???????????

I wouldnt say they're a minor part, how important is your computer hardware relative to the software?

Edelman likely doesnt have the same connection to TFB that Welker has, and Welker also has better field navigation and diagnostic skills, but why should we expect Edelman to be on same level with so little experience? I think that with more reps Edelman will get better.

Also, the question isn't whether Welker is better than Edelman, he obviously is, the question is whether the offense is better with Edelman/Lloyd/and maybe Reggie Wayne than it is with Welker and _____. IF Welker wants big money that makes it unlikely to sign some upgrades at receiver then the offense might be better off without him assuming we can get those upgrades.

Asuming the upgrades actually are you know...upgrades. Along with Edleman they'd have to account for a hell of a lot of production to actually upgrade this offense. I don't think it's worth saving $3M-4M to test that theory...and find out it's not. :bricks:

Detroit refuses to run the ball. They'll find a way.

Before you make that claim you do know that all their main RB's were hurt or IR'd last year....Mikel Lashoure, Jahvid Best, Kevin Smith.

Still they finished 23rd in rushing.

Yea, after throwing for 5000 yards Matt Stafford needs another SLOT WR since Bureleson is not enough :bricks:

Last edited:
Before you make that claim you do know that all their main RB's were hurt or IR'd last year....Mikel Lashoure, Jahvid Best, Kevin Smith.

Still they finished 23rd in rushing.

Yea, after throwing for 5000 yards Matt Stafford needs another SLOT WR since Bureleson is not enough :bricks:
I'm well aware.

I'm well aware.

Well then, If you are well aware, and making a claim that Detroit refuses to run the ball despite their 3 starting caliber RB's injured in 2011, and therefore have a need for 2nd Slot WR, since their young QB only threw for 5000+yards, you come across pretty uninformed to the game of American rules football.

Matt Millen era of collecting WR year after year is well past.

Last edited:
Well then, If you are well aware, and making a claim that Detroit refuses to run the ball despite their 3 starting caliber RB's injured in 2011, and therefore have a need for 2nd Slot WR, since their young QB only threw for 5000+yards, you come across pretty uninformed to the game of American rules football.

Matt Millen era of collecting WR year after year is well past.
What point are you trying to make? The Lions had Maurice Morris on their roster, who proved he was a capable albeit unspectacular runner. They then added the injury prone Kevin Smith for a more than serviceable 1-2 punch yet still continued to pass. There's not much they could have done about LeShoure's achilles and Best's concussion (who has proven he's susceptible to them throughout college and the NFL now). The Lions chose to pass. That's their problem and their problem alone.

Perhaps you should start watching games outside of the Patriots contests before slagging off other people who do watch games other than the Patriots.

Last edited:
I stopped reading at the point of letting Welker go and signing 1 strike Jackson. The lack of respect for Welker in this forum really makes me wonder.

You're probably right about spending big on defense. I know I am guilty on focusing on the playoff games where the defense looked fine but really, it's not even close.

They NEED a very good safety and some quality lineman. Wilfork is getting up there in age, and I'm not sure that Deaderick and Love are all that talented.

I certainly agree that they need depth on the DL, a good FS, and that one 'big' playmaker in the front 7...those moves would significantly improve this defense possibly into the top 10; not only in pts allowed (where I fully expect them to be in 2012, moving up from 15th), but also in yardage too.

I also think that you are far from wrong in arguing that the defense played 'well enough' in the recent playoff games, with the exceptions being the one and done yrs of 09 and 10. Allowing 10, 20, and 19 pts in the playoffs should have been enough, especially with a team who scored in the 30's in the majority of their games in the past 2 yrs.

I think the key thing to remember is that BOTH sides of the ball are in decent shape, when you look at things from an overall perspective. I don't think there are too many teams who don't have at least a hole or two on offense and defense.

We've seen improvement no doubt about that, and we've seen youth and speed both added in key areas of this team. I wouldn't imagine things being any different this yr. We have the luxury of the free agency period before the draft again (like it's supposed to be), and a plethora of picks again in the first 2 rounds.

All things considered with the labor situation, uncertainty of contributing rookies, missing of mini-camps, and forced switch to 4-3 defense, this team did pretty damn well last year. They are not that far away at all, at least in my opinion.

A couple/few FA moves + some added youth in the draft, combined with what initally appears to be an 'easier' schedule of sorts = LOOK OUT for the rest of the NFL.

I stopped reading at the point of letting Welker go and signing 1 strike Jackson. The lack of respect for Welker in this forum really makes me wonder.

I don't think it's a 'lack of respect' as you say. I think some are examining the option of utilizing a younger slot guy (Edelman), with the sights on saving that money and putting it towards a big name WR---nothing more.

FWIW--I strongly disagree with this thinking, and I think that no matter what you need to lock up #83, as he is still the bread and butter of this offense, and that includes the TE's.

It's just a slow time, so people are going to look at things from every angle.

Two things to consider when discussing welker, and the WR situation as a whole.

1. IF Welker was allowed to walk.... I could see the pats make a run at danny amendola, to compete with edelman for welkers spot in the slot.

2. I seem to recall the pats making a run (at least in rumored reports) at trading for vincent jackson in 2010, when he was holding out in san diego. I would tend to think that they really like him and weren't averse to having to give him a big contact to make the trade happen. Whats significantly different now?... Besides being a year and a half older

I agree--it's almost shocking, and you have to wonder if people who make these kinds of statements even really comprehend the game of football.

People need to accept a simple fact: Welker will be franchised or signed to an extension, period.

I don't think it's a 'lack of respect' as you say. I think some are examining the option of utilizing a younger slot guy (Edelman), with the sights on saving that money and putting it towards a big name WR---nothing more.

FWIW--I strongly disagree with this thinking, and I think that no matter what you need to lock up #83, as he is still the bread and butter of this offense, and that includes the TE's.

It's just a slow time, so people are going to look at things from every angle.

I really don't see any way Edelman comes anywhere even close to replacing Welker, it's pure fantasy, they had essentially taken him out of the offense this year, which means they don't see his future there imo. And getting rid of his safety valve against the blitz and going to slow developing plays downfield is the surest way to get Brady killed going forward.

I am all for adding a deep and wide threat but doing so at the expense of Welker makes absolutely no sense . I'm somewhat shocked it came from Ken, who is usually much smarter than that.

I agree--it's almost shocking, and you have to wonder if people who make these kinds of statements even really comprehend the game of football.

People need to accept a simple fact: Welker will be franchised or signed to an extension, period.

Yep................

It's one of the peculiar things, the continued lack of respect illustrated by some toward Wes Welker. The guy is a beast and arguably in the top 5 of wide receivers in the game. They don't grow on trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back