PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are we a quarterback away from being good?

I think the first half last week had a lot to do with the Steelers. Not taking away from the Pats, but the Steelers played a role in the first half success. One TD drive was an 11 yard drive. The second Henry TD was a great, but dangerous throw. That safety was in perfect position to make the INT and whiffed. And TJ Watt suffered a concussion the first play of the game.

You want declare one half of football as proof of anything. Let’s see how things go the rest of the way before we determine anything. Zappe has started four halves of football and was mediocre in three of them.

Hopefully he will play closer to how he played in the first half last week, but that is yet to be determined.
I'm definitely not making any declarations about Zappe's longterm potential. I simply said we saw much better QB play than we saw all year and magically the offensive line and the injured weapons group looked significantly better.

With a great QB and the entire group of weapons we started with on day one of this season, this team would be battling for the AFC East. The offensive line was shaky the first two weeks, but got right in week three when they got everyone back healthy.

I find it odd how people here argue vehemently and often how important the QB position is in football, but when you point out how Mac has been absolute trash... they argue the opposite... that weapons make the QB.

Certain posters would rather say "BB sucks" than admit with a great QB this would be a good or even great team.

anyone behind that offensive line and with zero weapons will not be good!

Sign Jimmy, draft Harrison JR. spend draft capital on lineman (from bigtime schools), more WRs, and a great third down back.

Many of us believe the "wind game" in '21 is what broke Mac. He's never been the same since.
If that's true, then only it reflects poorly on him. Ultimately it can't just be BB's fault, or JMD to Matty P to BOB...
Because if you're a pro NFL QB, you have to be responsible for your mental fortitude and overcoming adversity and confidence issues.
If Mac couldn't quite do that, and showed his true colors - a bit of a whiner or whatever, then we all deserved to see that earlier than later.
And, it's time to move on... And I was one of the last to give up on Mac. I was pulling for him all the way until the Colts game.
I wont be mad if he goes somewhere else and does well. But, I can't see him ever being a long-term starter in this league again.

anyone behind that offensive line and with zero weapons will not be good!

Sign Jimmy, draft Harrison JR. spend draft capital on lineman (from bigtime schools), more WRs, and a great third down back.
Jimmy "Glass Bones" Garoppolo? No thanks.

i think at this point you need a LT and C - Andrews experience helps, but he just can't move laterally quick enough to pick up blitzes & stunts, from what i've seen

but i agree with LT and likely a swing tackle as well.....a couple of WRs........gotta resign Henry.......I wouldn't mind an actual deep safety
I have no idea how good Jake Andrews or Kody Russey are. One is a UDFA and the other is a 5th rounder. It's clear they are stocking up backups at that position. They may have to move on soon.

BUT I will point out that Dan Koppen played for 2 more years than Andrews has.

Andrews is definitely in the twilight of his career.

No. We're a new coaching staff (the right one, obviously), new OL, new WR, new RB, new TE, new QB, new pass rusher, new CB away. There are many many holes on this roster right now. And if we don't get the right coaches, we'll NEVER have the right anything else.
? These people don't grow on trees. Look around the NFL. Just as you're getting your entirely new OL, new TE, new QB, new pass rusher, new CB, the rest of your team has withered and you will need to start all over again.

This is the problem right there. Unless you build on what you already have, you're never going to get anywhere. And if you think you have nothing and are stripping it bare, then get ready for many many years of being exactly where we are now.

You think teams bounce right back? Then how do you explain the teams in our division and conference who have been drafting in the top 10 year after year after year?

Many of us believe the "wind game" in '21 is what broke Mac. He's never been the same since.
If that's true, then only it reflects poorly on him. Ultimately it can't just be BB's fault, or JMD to Matty P to BOB...
Because if you're a pro NFL QB, you have to be responsible for your mental fortitude and overcoming adversity and confidence issues.
If Mac couldn't quite do that, and showed his true colors - a bit of a whiner or whatever, then we all deserved to see that earlier than later.
And, it's time to move on... And I was one of the last to give up on Mac. I was pulling for him all the way until the Colts game.
I wont be mad if he goes somewhere else and does well. But, I can't see him ever being a long-term starter in this league again.
Exactly the same here. I hung in there longer that most as you did, hoping against hope that he would figure it out, but that falling down, back-foot interception with no pressure is when I officially got off the bus.

The numbers show that he wasn’t the same after the wind game but hard to see how that would break him? I think he was figured out sometime in that first half of the season.

I think it stopped his ROTY run right in its tracks though. His team won and he literally contributed nothing so was he really ever a difference maker?

Last edited:
Yeah, I doubt Zappe is the answer but Mac Jones is just that bad. People talk about how he was good as a rookie, but I’ve read on here and kinda agree with the fact that the coaches limited him as a rookie. Probably because they knew he had to be.

That up ^ there was pretty telling his Rookie year. :rolleyes:

Get Jeudy if he’s not outrageously priced.

He plays fast, really fast.

Ridley is possibly hitting the market, He’s a head case, or was, but the sheer talent is undeniable.
The Jeudy ship has sailed love Calvin Ridley but the Jags might retain him 24 Great year to double dip @ WR some good ones will be available.

I'm skeptical of this. Not impressed with the OL. The defense can best be described as well coached, rather than talented. I think you can make an argument to trade down and spread out the draft value. I know those top QBs are tempting and sometimes QB can hide a lot of flaws but I'm not thrilled with the roster and I'd accept a lesser QB to build up the OL, DL and running game. Hell, if we can build the line enough I'd keep rolling with Zappe In my mind the key to take a step forward with this roster is the left side of the line, not so much QB.
The defense is awesome. They are keeping good teams below their scoring average with almost 0 help from the offense. They are easily a top 5 unit.

To go much further in the playoffs though, we either need an actual elite QB (which is probably only Mahomes among active players in the NFL right now) or a significant improvement in the offensive talent.
Not that it matters for our situation right now but I'm convinced that history will judge Brock Purdy to be elite.

Tyreek hill made Tua elite. If Marvin Harrison is like that , draft the beast. Maybe 2 -3 stud wide receivers make any qb QB- elite.

The defense is awesome. They are keeping good teams below their scoring average with almost 0 help from the offense. They are easily a top 5 unit.
Eh not sure if I'd go that far.

Tyreek hill made Tua elite. If Marvin Harrison is like that , draft the beast. Maybe 2 -3 stud wide receivers make any qb QB- elite.
That and an offensive minded head coach who actually believes in him.

I wouldn't be surprised if a decent QB alone made this roster an 8-8 type middling squad. Besides the two blow outs this season, a tiny bit more offense (or less INTs) could've tipped 4-5 more games to a W.

With Judon and Gonzo they'd probably be the best D in the nfl right now. That is amazing since their O has sucked so bad the D would be on the field more than any other D in the league. Very impressive.
Let's hope both those guys come back 100% next year.

I'm definitely not making any declarations about Zappe's longterm potential. I simply said we saw much better QB play than we saw all year and magically the offensive line and the injured weapons group looked significantly better.

With a great QB and the entire group of weapons we started with on day one of this season, this team would be battling for the AFC East. The offensive line was shaky the first two weeks, but got right in week three when they got everyone back healthy.

I find it odd how people here argue vehemently and often how important the QB position is in football, but when you point out how Mac has been absolute trash... they argue the opposite... that weapons make the QB.

Certain posters would rather say "BB sucks" than admit with a great QB this would be a good or even great team.
Are you finally warming up to the "magic quarterback" narrative?

Reminds me of Donte Culpepper with Randy Moss.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back