PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are we a quarterback away from being good?

Simpelton

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I'm skeptical of this. Not impressed with the OL. The defense can best be described as well coached, rather than talented. I think you can make an argument to trade down and spread out the draft value. I know those top QBs are tempting and sometimes QB can hide a lot of flaws but I'm not thrilled with the roster and I'd accept a lesser QB to build up the OL, DL and running game. Hell, if we can build the line enough I'd keep rolling with Zappe In my mind the key to take a step forward with this roster is the left side of the line, not so much QB.

Eh, it'd help a lot. There's reasons it's tough for a QB to succeed in this offense though.

No. This team has many needs and could be more after the season ends with players potentially leaving.

Just name a position and you can make an argument there's a need.

QB (legit vet, or 1st rounder ready to play)
LT/RT (new franchise LT, and RT - if Onwenu moves back to RG)
WR (legit #1, re-sign Bourne, + 2 more with real talent)
RB (3rd down change of pace)
TE (new threat to replace Gesicki)

I do see us devoting most of this upcoming draft and FA to offense. We're definitely more than just a QB away, but we should be able to address QB-WR-OL between high choices each round + $100m in cap space.

If we're picking in the top 3 and Maye is available, then we'd have to very careful about trading down. If we do it and acquire some high picks, and can still get a sure fire QB (say Daniels), then sure. But it's: a) very rare to be in this draft position, and b) also have blue chip QB prospects in that draft. Look at 2022 where the best QB was Kenny Pickett.

I think we have to prioritize QB in this draft, as tempting as it is to trade way down and pick up multiple 1st's & 2nd's. It would take brass balls to gamble that a great QB will be sitting there later than say pick 6 or 7.

I'm skeptical of this. Not impressed with the OL. The defense can best be described as well coached, rather than talented. I think you can make an argument to trade down and spread out the draft value. I know those top QBs are tempting and sometimes QB can hide a lot of flaws but I'm not thrilled with the roster and I'd accept a lesser QB to build up the OL, DL and running game. Hell, if we can build the line enough I'd keep rolling with Zappe In my mind the key to take a step forward with this roster is the left side of the line, not so much QB.
We’re not a QB away from being good, but we are a QB away from being better than a 3-10 team. An average QB could have this team be .500 and a playoff contender. A good QB might even get us a home game. To go much further in the playoffs though, we either need an actual elite QB (which is probably only Mahomes among active players in the NFL right now) or a significant improvement in the offensive talent.

No. Too many holes.

The offense needs AT LEAST a bonafide WR1. Probably another really solid 2 or 3. They have next to zero depth ar RB right now. Henry is an FA so depending on what happens there they could be back in no man's land on TE. Then the line has been porous and they need to address it.

Special Teams is a total disaster and also needs players who can execute there. We might even need a new kicker if Ryland can't develop fast.

Then defense is mid tier and probably could use some depth at LB.

WITH ALL THAT SAID. We need a QB and that position has the greatest impact so it would be dumb to not value it accordingly.

No. It will take more than a QB for us to rebound back to respectability... it doesn't need to be all through the draft... key free agent acquisitions, albeit expensive, can shorten the time frame... it will take cash for free agents, and we need tackles desperately... and quite frankly a diva, errr a good wr... four positions could complete a rebuild for us... if they all hit... which is a tall order...

From being good? Yes. If we had a good QB, we would be good. Lost too many low scoring games to say a good Qb would not have won those. Not sure we would be superbowl team, but it depends on how good that QB is.

Yes.

(Good meaning a playoff contender)

This would involve keeping the important free agents for next year, of course.
For a deep playoff run, there are probably a couple of other needs, like WR.

I don't think were just a QB away from being championship contenders. Maybe , especially if the Bills are on a down trend and the Jets Continue to Jete, we could challenge for the division.

I do think better QB play would net us a few more wins esp vs other 'mid' teams. Ultimately the lack of playmaking @ WR and issues on the oline would keep us as gate keepers and do us in vs top level teams.

Let us presume that we sign our free agents and draft an LT in the first round (top or late of late in the round) and another in the 3rd or 4th.

I have said all season that we were average QB play and a LT away from being a playoff contender. So, yes, I still think that this is true. Sure, it might take improvement at WR to take us over the top and be contenders to go deep into the playoffs.

Let us presume that we sign our free agents and draft an LT in the first round (top or late of late in the round) and another in the 3rd or 4th.

I have said all season that we were average QB play and a LT away from being a playoff contender. So, yes, I still think that this is true. Sure, it might take improvement at WR to take us over the top and be contenders to go deep into the playoffs.
I agree. I don’t think we need a WR this draft. QBs take time to develop anyway.

If and when we get a QB that can play at the level of a "competent" NFL starter...we will find out.

A QB like that wouldn't turn the ball over, mask some weaknesses on the OL by making off platform throws or throwing the ball away, make receivers look better by ball placement, and etc...

Even then, we will still need an upgrade at OT, WR, and replace our entire TE room....

To answer the first question, how good is the QB? Average QB, no. Good QB, maybe .500. All-pro level QB, fighting for a wild card spot, but it's smoke and mirrors until the OL is addressed and at least 1 top end wideout. Get a good QB, fix the line, get a top end WR, get a 3rd down back, you're in business.
You're always a QB away from being good if you don't have the guy but there's more to it...look at the Chargers
I really think that's coaching with him, but he might be another Jeff George too.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back