PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Chiefs in trouble?

I think it needs another year or two to fulfill it's prophecy.

I agree the Chiefs still could be a dynasty if they win a couple more super bowls in the next few years, but Chris Jones said they were going to get 7 titles...seems like the Chiefs are clueless about how difficult dynasties are.

I agree the Chiefs still could be a dynasty if they win a couple more super bowls in the next few years, but Chris Jones said they were going to get 7 titles...seems like the Chiefs are clueless about how difficult dynasties are.

Those guys are clowns. If they win it next year then it's still possible. If not, nope.

If all goes perfect Pats are 2 years away- at a minimum.

This aged well...

Chiefs fans are not excited that his 2021 salary is guaranteed. There was an article about how they should try to trade him (the only way to escape guaranteed salary), but then the realists acknowledged that he doesn't have any value anyway because of his contract.

Those guys are clowns. If they win it next year then it's still possible. If not, nope.

If all goes perfect Pats are 2 years away- at a minimum.

wow, 2 years for the Pats to win a title is optimistic...I would have said 4 years. The team needs a complete overhaul. Most important piece is the QB followed by offensive/defensive lines. Don't need fancy receivers, but ones that know the playbook and are tough. It's a pipe dream, but I'm hoping Bill can build a team in the next year that is attractive enough for Brady to want to return and finish his career here.

wow, 2 years for the Pats to win a title is optimistic...I would have said 4 years. The team needs a complete overhaul. Most important piece is the QB followed by offensive/defensive lines. Don't need fancy receivers, but ones that know the playbook and are tough. It's a pipe dream, but I'm hoping Bill can build a team in the next year that is attractive enough for Brady to want to return and finish his career here.
If all goes perfect.

They find that top 15 QB and they nail 2021 and 2022 FA and drafts.

The pats defense held the Chiefs to 19, 26 & 31 points in their last 3 matchups. The 31 points in the AFCCG was partly due to some poor referring (no OPI, JC Jackson vs Watkins).

I’m not saying the pats are close to the chiefs. However, they are a horrible matchup for them now that they are losing their WR2:

Kelce - Gilmore
Hill - Jones + Dmac
Hardman - Jackson

Reid couldn’t run the ball vs. a 3 man DL of Winovich, Butler & Wise. They are allergic to 3rd & short.

I hope BB can make a 10-6 caliber roster this offseason. The defense is built to upset them.

Pats don't play Chiefs this season, unless they meet in post season.

I think it needs another year or two to fulfill it's prophecy.

Is it this generation's "Tonight, the dynasty is born"?

Maybe he will be proven right. Maybe another dynasty is coming to the KC team, taking their lunch money and then kicking them out of Tompa Bay.

Chiefs 2021 schedule:

Broncos
Chargers
Raiders
Bengals
Browns
Ravens
Steelers

Cowboys
Giants
Eagles
WFT
Titans
Bills

I see a 12-4 record, don't get HFA or make it to AFCCG. In 2022 they'll be one and done. 2023, miss playoffs entirely.
Brady destroys another franchise.

1613011211620.png

LMAO.

Looks like our buddies at CP didn't appreciate the humor :D:D:D

Pats don't play Chiefs this season, unless they meet in post season.

I fell in love with Brady (and the sport) in SB 42 after watching him get harassed all night and still putting us in a position to win. Mahomes had a tough night but **** he tried his heart out. Some of the hate for him is disappointing- it’s not his fault that people were proclaiming him ahead of Brady as the MJ of football.

He is a lot like Brady - he will do anything for his team to win - not a stat peddler like Rogers and Wilson.

I’m going to enjoy watching him play for the next 10 years - chiefs need to protect him. He is never going to over take Brady - but I have every faith that he will retire in the top 10 of all time
Anything to win? How about not taking every last penny you can squeeze out your team so that they can surround you with depth? So not everything, apparently.

Kelce May slow down soon, Hill can get taken out of games with a good scheme, their defense so soft, Reid is arrogant to not run the ball, and Mahomes tried to play backyard ball too much. They should still be favored because Mahomes is that good, but it is going to get a lot tougher for them.

KC was sleep walking all season figuring they would float to their second ring. They got punched in the mouth. SB losers have a tough time making it back to the post season much less the SB. Their air of invincibility took a massive hit. 2021 is going to be a long year for them.

I think Tom's relationship with Bill and Josh is beyond repair. For Brady to return Kraft would have to replace both of them. It's over. It was an amazing 20 year run. But it's done

Devon White was saying today that team was shocked Chiefs didn't run the ball more with such a light box. Says he even asked CEH after the game. He feels the Chiefs were arrogant in thinking they could get away with Mahomes just passing. Said the Chiefs played right into their hands by not changing their approach. He finally said that Kelce and Hill ended up with yard stats because they mostly came in junk time at the end of the game when it was already over.

Devon White was saying today that team was shocked Chiefs didn't run the ball more with such a light box. Says he even asked CEH after the game. He feels the Chiefs were arrogant in thinking they could get away with Mahomes just passing. Said the Chiefs played right into their hands by not changing their approach. He finally said that Kelce and Hill ended up with yard stats because they mostly came in junk time at the end of the game when it was already over.
Seems eerily similar to super bowl 49 and Pete wanting to have Wilson get the glory and it cost Seattle the game. One of Bill's best attributes is his ability to adjust on the fly and not bang his head against the wall (unless he is trying pound the ball with the corpse of Stephen Jackson against Miami with home field advantage on the line).

I agree that Kelce and Hill's production was all plastic yards. I couldn't believe Kelce had the numbers he did because he didn't seem to show up.

I think the League has started to figure out the Chiefs/Andy's offense to the point they no longer dominate games like they did in 2018. There were 8 games this season they could've lost but pulled it off.

2018: 35.3 OPPG (#1) / 26.3 DPPG (#24) / P Diff: +9 / 4 games won by <1 score / 12-4 record (.480 SOS)

2019: 28.2 OPPG (#5) / 19.3 DPPG (#7) / P Diff: 8.9 / 5 games won by <1 score / 12-4 record (.477 SOS)

2020: 29.6 OPPG (#6) / 22.6 DPPG (#11) / P Diff: +6.9 / 8 games won by <1 score / 14-2 record (.465 SOS)

They're still very good, but it just takes them a little more to win now. From 2018 to 2020, the # of close wins doubled despite their SOS getting progressively easier. In 2021, they face 6 playoff teams but they get lucky by facing the NFC Least.

I think the League has started to figure out the Chiefs/Andy's offense to the point they no longer dominate games like they did in 2018. There were 8 games this season they could've lost but pulled it off.

2018: 35.3 OPPG (#1) / 26.3 DPPG (#24) / P Diff: +9 / 4 games won by <1 score / 12-4 record (.480 SOS)

2019: 28.2 OPPG (#5) / 19.3 DPPG (#7) / P Diff: 8.9 / 5 games won by <1 score / 12-4 record (.477 SOS)

2020: 29.6 OPPG (#6) / 22.6 DPPG (#11) / P Diff: +6.9 / 8 games won by <1 score / 14-2 record (.465 SOS)

They're still very good, but it just takes them a little more to win now. From 2018 to 2020, the # of close wins doubled despite their SOS getting progressively easier. In 2021, they face 6 playoff teams but they get lucky by facing the NFC Least.

I think the bigger issue is their roster just isn’t elite anymore. They’ve been carried by superstars, and that has its consequences. Sure, there’s a strong case that a top-5 of Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, Jones, and Mathieu are the best top 5 in the league.

When you start getting beyond that, you see a roster almost devoid of that upper-middle level guy. So many players who are average to below average. ESPN had a list ranking the Super Bowl players, and after those top 5, which Chiefs player would rank ahead of these Bucs players... Brady, Evans, Godwin, Brown, Gronkowski, Wirfs, Jensen, Marpet, Vea, Suh, Pierre-Paul, Barrett, White, David, Winfield.

That’s literally 15 players, and you could list off another 10 where it’s debatable because the Chiefs don’t have a guy who stands out. Fischer and Schwartz would likely be somewhere up the list, but this also shows how superstar heavy contracts (those guys were at over $20M) are risky as there’s little depth in case of injury. Those plucky role players are great, except when they’re asked to play at a level higher than their capabilities.

Frank Clark’s cap number is $25M next year (lol), a horrible investment at the most overrated, overvalued position in sports. Also cost them a first round pick. Watkins was playing for like $14M this year, too. That’s a lot of wasted money there.

I think the Chiefs are still favorites in the AFC, but I also think the team has made abysmally bad moves that are going to get worse and worse over time. The Patriots have realized for a long time that, with an all-world QB, those huge contracts to the wrong players are the only thing that can really wreck your team. We saw Seattle and Green Bay do something similar, but the Chiefs are on another level of superstar worshipping to the detriment of the overall roster. With Mahomes now moving out of the rookie pay scale, Kelce getting older, and those two tackles having major injury questions, they’ll likely be a lot closer to the lower margin of victory that you cited and their record will reflect that.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back