PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Chiefs in trouble?

Maybe KC should do what NE did : scrap the flashy, high priced « weapons » and direct most of their ressources to D and OL. Then, watch Mahomes magic get them some wins.

Yet another example - in the long line - of « weapons don’t win SBs ». They have lotsa Madden-types on that team. They got shut down.

Mahomes is good enough to win with lesser receivers. But he isn’t good enough to win w/o an OL or D...

Real story of the playoffs was the Bucs D.
The LB speed and pass coverage was off the charts. Their secondary essentially eliminated WR stars all playoffs. The DL overmatched an awful Chiefs OL.
The Chiefs O turned into a 3 stars / 8 JAG group over night with the Bucs D inflicting their will on them.
Mahomes looked as physically broken as Brees did 2 weeks earlier.
The Chiefs roster formula is reminiscent of Indy during the Manning era... lots of big money stars with not enough quality on the rest of the roster. The health of their stars will be the determining factor for them going forward.
Mahomes’ body looked crooked/broken in the 2nd half

He got pressured on 50% of his dropbacks and this is your take out of it?
I believe that there's a lot of truth in what @Fixit is saying. Even when Mahomes has time to throw he doesn't appear to be the type of QB to thread the needle so to speak. IOW he's no Tom Brady.

This strikes me like the Seahawks. Once everyone's contract came up and you had to pay wilson the talent deteriorated and while the Seahawks still are a good team they aren't anywhere near the 2013 team.

They paid Mahomes, hill and kelce. And pretty soon Mahomes will have a 45million cap hit and hill and kelce will be up there too. The team won't be able to afford top defensive guys or olinemen. It might start to look more like last night.

People have thought the chiefs were invincible. But the Patriots gave the blueprint on how to defend them. Bowles defensive plan was the Patriots (who nearly beat them with hoyer).

Now I'm not saying they won't be a good team or continue to be in this big game. But they don't look as invincible as they once did
Yep there in trouble of getting back to another SB.:rolleyes:

Their defense got exposed, they have been trying to hide it all year. They are not a physical football team.
They are a classic example of a defense that needs a lead to play well
Maybe KC should do what NE did : scrap the flashy, high priced « weapons » and direct most of their ressources to D and OL. Then, watch Mahomes magic get them some wins.

Yet another example - in the long line - of « weapons don’t win SBs ». They have lotsa Madden-types on that team. They got shut down.

Mahomes is good enough to win with lesser receivers. But he isn’t good enough to win w/o an OL or D...
The bolded part needs to be brought up anytime someone on here complains about "no weaponz"

Not so sure how they will challenge when Mahomes contract is 45million in a couple years. It's a team game and they will lose talent.

Not saying they won't be a team that's in it every year and competitive. But I see them as becoming the Seahawks with russell wilson. Good team goes to the playoffs but not exactly a contender because the QB has to do everything
I would sure love there problems at QB though.

They are a classic example of a defense that needs a lead to play well

The bolded part needs to be brought up anytime someone on here complains about "no weaponz"

Brady just won because he had ridiculous weapons (well and a monster defense)

The Pats should have beaten KC this year with their awful qb's substitute. Teams now know how to beat them, not that many teams have the players, but those that do will be able to. Having an amazing qb on a rookie contract makes it much easier to win. KC doesn't have that anymore, it will be much more difficult for them to win going forward. As far as the O-line injuries go, injuries happen every season in the nfl. If all your $$$ are going to a few players, you don't have money to spend on good backups you are going to be in trouble once those injuries occur.
I remember having a discussion at the beginning of Bill's career with the Pats that he wanted a team of guys who cost less to give him a deeper roster. That's why Bill's method is more sustainable. The fact that he ended up with Brady made it even better.

Yes, KC is in trouble.

Losing the super bowl is worse than not going at all. These losses haunt a team.
I do not understand why this happens but history says it is true.

Chiefs are great but shallow. If they suffer injuries there is no depth. That will haunt them the most. Watkins is gone and if Hill or Kelce gets hurt, they are in trouble.

Last edited:
It was ONE game against a time that has a tremendous pass rush, speedy linebackers and good defensive backs. Any team would have struggled against the Bucs yesterday. There are very few of these teams in the NFL with this balance on defense and offense. Chiefs will continue to make mince meat of 95% of the teams during the regular season.

Who is their competition in the AFC...maybe the ravens. The bills have a way to go.

They are certainly NOT in trouble. They will be favorites in most years to be the AFC representative in the SB.

When they beef up their offensive line and get a big bruising RB, they will once again be a force next year.

I think OP brings up a very interesting point. There are definitely some similarities between the current Chiefs and the Legion of Boom era Seahawks. A young superstar QB, lots of strong personalities in the locker room, and a "players coach". I wouldn't be shocked if things unraveled slowly the way they did in Seattle but I also think Mahomes commands more respect than Wilson does/did in their respective locker rooms. Wilson is a hell of a player but he is just such an inauthentic cornball and never garnered the respect from Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, and Michael Bennett. Those guys knew that the organization eventually was going to side with Wilson in the end of the day and I think that is why all those guys were shown the door in the years following the super bowl loss.

Real story of the playoffs was the Bucs D.
The LB speed and pass coverage was off the charts. Their secondary essentially eliminated WR stars all playoffs. The DL overmatched an awful Chiefs OL.
The Chiefs O turned into a 3 stars / 8 JAG group over night with the Bucs D inflicting their will on them.
Mahomes looked as physically broken as Brees did 2 weeks earlier.
The Chiefs roster formula is reminiscent of Indy during the Manning era... lots of big money stars with not enough quality on the rest of the roster. The health of their stars will be the determining factor for them going forward.
Mahomes’ body looked crooked/broken in the 2nd half
Tampa is the first team in NFL history to score 30 points in 4 consecutive playoff games, 3 of which were on the road. The offense played a huge role too. Defense was pure crap vs WFT.

not only is the window closing, but losses like this make it easier for free agents to bail - they don't seem to have that culture built where players dig in, take the team deal and come back to try and win another - you're going to see some instead figure they won one here in KC, time to get paid - that failure last night was in all facets of the game - offense, defense, ST, coaching - everything was bad
They played that well all year. Like they were sleep walking and were going to float to ring #2. It finally caught up with them on the biggest stage. That is the thing about Brady. His hunger to win is insatiable.

I fell in love with Brady (and the sport) in SB 42 after watching him get harassed all night and still putting us in a position to win. Mahomes had a tough night but **** he tried his heart out. Some of the hate for him is disappointing- it’s not his fault that people were proclaiming him ahead of Brady as the MJ of football.

He is a lot like Brady - he will do anything for his team to win - not a stat peddler like Rogers and Wilson.

I’m going to enjoy watching him play for the next 10 years - chiefs need to protect him. He is never going to over take Brady - but I have every faith that he will retire in the top 10 of all time.
He will not look as much like Brady when his $42M cap hit kicks in.

They played that well all year. Like they were sleep walking and were going to float to ring #2. It finally caught up with them on the biggest stage. That is the thing about Brady. His hunger to win is insatiable.
The Chiefs reminded me of that 2003 Lakers team. Pretty much sleepwalked through the season and figured they would turn it on when they needed to in the finals and ended up getting their asses handed to them.

Nah. I think Mahomes was more hurt than he/they let on. He was trying awfully hard not to limp on camera. They'll be back next year competing for the SB.

Brady just won because he had ridiculous weapons (well and a monster defense)

It seemed like Gronk and AB were most of the receptions. Godwin seemed to wilt in the bright lights. Tyler Johnson had a ball bouncing off his shoulder pads. The weapons are good, but did not seem ridiculous.

Nah. I think Mahomes was more hurt than he/they let on. He was trying awfully hard not to limp on camera. They'll be back next year competing for the SB.
The KC O line needs major retooling or Mahomes will end up as RG3 2.0

I do not understand why this happens but history says it is true.

Chiefs are great but shallow. If they suffer injuries there is no depth. That will haunt them the most. Watkins is gone and Hill or Kelce gets hurt, and they are in trouble.

It is worth noting kc’s fortune with injuries, mahomes has dodged some serious bullets and none of the big 3,has landed on season ending ir in 3 seasons together. Odds say thats bound to change, and an injury to any one is fatal considering how much they lean on the 3.

The KC O line needs major retooling or Mahomes will end up as RG3 2.0
Not only this but he needs to change his style. If he keeps running around like that his prime will be the same as Cam and he will be a shell of himself by age 30. He has to become more of a pocket passer and read the defense better.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back