PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else feel like it's Jakobi's final season here?

This is Agholor and Meyers last year on their respective contracts, right? I'd say if Meyers has the 2nd or 3rd best production of the wr group (behind Parker and/or Bourne and the same or better than Agholor), there should be a push to re-sign him. He's 4 years younger than agholor and if there's a decision between the 2 at the end of the season, it should go Meyers way.

If Thornton steps up and becomes a starter first year, Meyers and Agholor will be gone.

I know there's nothing flashy about him, but he gets open and produces.

Brady quit because Meyers was a JAG? Thats a bit oversimplifying it a tad, dont you think? But I will agree Brady did indeed quit on the team.

Mac trusted him enough to be the number 1 target on first down conversions when passing the ball...

He's worked hard carving out a roster spot in his 3 seasons here... There's nothing wrong with keeping him here... As long as we don't overpay for a possession receiver... It took Edelman 4 years to breakout ... Wait and see if his game evolves yet again before tossing him out with the bathwater...
The fact is that Brady went from mediocre WRs to elite WRs.

There is no comparison between Mike Evans and Jagobi Meyers. Nothing common between Chris Godwin and anyone but Edelman in 2019 and he was hurt.

Edelman was not a WR entering camp. Jagobi was. He has carved out a nice little job for himself, but the Pat's can and need to do better.

No to paying him 10 million a season

It's a risk, but with Parker's injury history, Thornton being a rookie, and them likely letting Mac throw more this year (at the very least, I'm going to bet he doesn't have another 3-pass game this season), it may still even out. But he's right, there's a real chance Meyers doesn't come close to that 126 number in 2022.
And I really dread Parker getting injured and/or Thrornton struggling because that would mean Jakobi gets more targets...again. The roles need to be reversed with Bourne getting more targets.

It took Edelman 4 years to breakout ... Wait and see if his game evolves yet again before tossing him out with the bathwater...
The difference between the two is that Edelman was brought along very slowly as he was learning how to play WR. Myers has been playing WR longer than Edelman, has been the #1 WR by default by year 2 of his career and has been that for the last two years.

Extend the beast.

The fact is that Brady went from mediocre WRs to elite WRs.

There is no comparison between Mike Evans and Jagobi Meyers. Nothing common between Chris Godwin and anyone but Edelman in 2019 and he was hurt.

Edelman was not a WR entering camp. Jagobi was. He has carved out a nice little job for himself, but the Pat's can and need to do better.

No to paying him 10 million a season
I didn't blame Brady. I understand why he decided to leave. Simply stated a fact that he quit on the team in 2019.

But this isn't about Brady. Its about Jakobi Meyers and where he fits into the current iteration of the Patriots now and possibly tomorrow.

And Julian was indeed a returner/converted wr when he entered his rookie camp. He was able to grind it out over a tough 4 years and a myriad of injuries, and was able to transform that role into a Patriots HoF worthy career.

And I agree, no on paying Meyers 10m to stay. A 3y/30m dollar contract is a ridiculous overpay imo. but a 3y/18m dollar deal is not so far out of bounds for what I think he's worth. Cant have 4 #1's ... still need guys to move the chains, which he can do...

But when you look at what free agent wr's got this offseason, it makes one wonder what his value is on the open market (dont freak out over the players used like cup of joe did - they are being used as an illustration to show what happened in the market)
  • Cedrick Wilson, 3y/22m, 12.75 guaranteed
  • Zay Jones, 3y/24m, 14 guaranteed
  • Christian Kirk, 4y/72m, 37m guaranteed
  • DJ Chark, 1y/10m, fully guaranteed
  • Valdez-Scandling, 3y/30m, 15 guaranteed
  • Russell Gage, 3/30 w/ 15 guaranteed (ty Venecol)

Last edited:
The difference between the two is that Edelman was brought along very slowly as he was learning how to play WR. Myers has been playing WR longer than Edelman, has been the #1 WR by default by year 2 of his career and has been that for the last two years.
Edelman played wr in the very first game he made the active roster... Edelman didn't see the field as much as he could possibly have because he was playing behind Wes Welker from 2009 to 2012.

Meyers hasn't had that developmental luxury. Would it have helped? I don't know, might have, might not. He's not an explosive player like Julian, but for right now, he's steady and reliable. Sometimes that can go a long way.

I didn't blame Brady. I understand why he decided to leave. Simply stated a fact that he quit on the team in 2019.

But this isn't about Brady. Its about Jakobi Meyers and where he fits into the current iteration of the Patriots now and possibly tomorrow.

And Julian was indeed a returner/converted wr when he entered his rookie camp. He was able to grind it out over a tough 4 years and a myriad of injuries, and was able to transform that role into a Patriots HoF worthy career.

And I agree, no on paying Meyers 10m to stay. A 3y/30m dollar contract is a ridiculous overpay imo. but a 3y/18m dollar deal is not so far out of bounds for what I think he's worth. Cant have 4 #1's ... still need guys to move the chains, which he can do...

But when you look at what free agent wr's got this offseason, it makes one wonder what his value is on the open market (dont freak out over the players used like cup of joe did - they are being used as an illustration to show what happened in the market)
  • Cedrick Wilson, 3y/22m, 12.75 guaranteed
  • Zay Jones, 3y/24m, 14 guaranteed
  • Christian Kirk, 4y/72m, 37m guaranteed
  • DJ Chark, 1y/10m, fully guaranteed
  • Valdez-Scandling, 3y/30m, 15 guaranteed
I heard him compared to Russell Gage who got 3/30 w/ 15 guaranteed.

I heard him compared to Russell Gage who got 3/30 w/ 15 guaranteed.
i missed that one on the free agent tracker i was using.

I think thats too much for Meyers. 6m feels right, 8 is a big stretch, 10 is thanks for all the hard work. The Braxton Berrios deal 2y/12m seems right on target for an aav

was that Meyers role in the offense? to be the primary redzone option for this team? No, it wasn't. So the point you keep trying to make over and over and over falls on deaf ears...

But thats it...

How many 80+ receptions in a season has Chark had? huh... dont see any
In his best season, he tied Meyers for 1st down conversions...
Catch %? 55% vs 68%
his average depth of target? 14 yds vs 10... which makes sense because hes playing on the outside as opposed to the slot
his yac? since you brought it up ... in his last full season? 3.1, compared to 2.7 for Meyers... earthshattering difference, huh? Especially considering his size and speed advantage

Care to complain about his number of tds yet again?

thanks for playing you whiny b

We can play this game all day.

How many 1,000+ Yards receiving does Meyers have ? Chark has done it.

So Meyers role on offense was to avoid catching the ball in the endzone ?

What about catching the ball outside of the endzone and then running into the endzone?

Meyers gains less yardage than Chark per reception in his career, but your happy that Meyers caught the ball further down field & then fell down?

Don’t you think that the yards per reception outweighs just catching the ball & falling down?

Chalk averages 13.9 yards per reception & Meyers averages 11.6, but you prefer 11.6 ?

Got it….. lol…. You earned your Pom poms

Last edited:
Anyone see the news about Edelman teasing a comeback to NE? I’m sure that‘s probably nonsense, but if it was real he’d probably be taking Meyers’ spot.

As others have stated, Myers probably wont see the same quantity of targets this year.

White returns and Parker and Thorton aint here to warm the bench. Agahlor and Jonnu are in the red from last season. Assuming Meyers proves that he is a consistent must have player in 2022 then sit down and talk money.

Anyone see the news about Edelman teasing a comeback to NE? I’m sure that‘s probably nonsense, but if it was real he’d probably be taking Meyers’ spot.
Things are never as they appear.

Edelman knows that BB will say no. That way Edelman can join Brady which was the plan all along. Mr Patriot tried to help his Pats, but they did not want him. Its like George Costanza trying to get fired by the Yankees because he has been offered a better job.

Meyers can be easily replaced.

Meyers is a JAG
Jags are a dime a dozen.

I went to war with the bruins bozos on this board years ago for calling Hooman a JAG.

Wish I could find that thread in the archives

The only thing good about Hooman is what we got in return in trading him away. Unfortunately we did not resign Hicks.

Last edited:
We can play this game all day.

How many 1,000+ Yards receiving does Meyers have ? Chark has done it.

So Meyers role on offense was to avoid catching the ball in the endzone ?

What about catching the ball outside of the endzone and then running into the endzone?

Meyers gains less yardage than Chark per reception in his career, but your happy that Meyers caught the ball further down field & then fell down?

Don’t you think that the yards per reception outweighs just catching the ball & falling down?

Chalk averages 13.9 yards per reception & Meyers averages 11.6, but you prefer 11.6 ?

Got it….. lol…. You earned your Pom poms

Chark had one good season, which wasn't even in this decade. What has he done lately? Not much. And tell me how many complete seasons has he played? Started that long slow decline...

Meyers role on the offense is based on what is called. Some players get the glory, some don't... Just ask Christian Fauria about how that works... He can be found daily on WEEI ...

Again, thanks for playing

I know there's nothing flashy about him, but he gets open and produces.
Except in the red zone, where he is erased. I suspect elsewhere on the field, defenses have him as the lowest coverage priority because he's not a threat to score on YAC.

Chark had one good season, which wasn't even in this decade. What has he done lately? Not much. And tell me how many complete seasons has he played? Started that long slow decline...

Meyers role on the offense is based on what is called. Some players get the glory, some don't... Just ask Christian Fauria about how that works... He can be found daily on WEEI ...

Again, thanks for playing

Your right about one thing & only one thing

Meyers is not getting the glory.

You think it is planned, I think it is talent “or lack of talent” that makes him a JAG

You are entitled to your opinion, but you have no statistics on your side to prove he is anything more than a JAG

But he is your JAG & you love him.

Your right about one thing & only one thing

Meyers is not getting the glory.

You think it is planned, I think it is talent “or lack of talent” that makes him a JAG

You are entitled to your opinion, but you have no statistics on your side to prove he is anything more than a JAG

But he is your JAG & you love him.
I like him better than who you've offered as a replacement... Which is no one...

Grrr get rid of him he's a bum... That is the entirety of your argument... Which equates to nothing... Replace him with who? Should be an easy answer for you, after all, dime a dozen, right???

Try understanding what you read instead of reacting like an idiot... I realize habits can be hard to break but try it once in a while

I like him better than who you've offered as a replacement... Which is no one...

Grrr get rid of him he's a bum... That is the entirety of your argument... Which equates to nothing... Replace him with who? Should be an easy answer for you, after all, dime a dozen, right???

Try understanding what you read instead of reacting like an idiot... I realize habits can be hard to break but try it once in a while

So you like Meyers better than Chark?
That’s your right as a Pom Pom shaking Patsfan.

I don’t agree and that’s my right and if you looked at the responses, I am not alone.

Not every member of Patsfans shakes the Pom poms like you & the Bruins fans

If you don’t like my posts, put me on ignore….

I don’t put anyone on ignore, because not everyone agrees on sports.

When people toss insults, I laugh and eagerly play their game.

Last edited:
So you like Meyers better than Chark?
That’s your right as a Pom Pom shaking Patsfan.

I don’t agree and that’s my right and if you looked at the responses, I am not alone.

Not every member of Patsfans shakes the Pom poms like you & the Bruins fans

If you don’t like my posts, put me on ignore….

I don’t put anyone on ignore, because not everyone agrees on sports.
I used Chark to show an example of current contracts .. and since Meyers is here playing the z, Chark isn't a viable replacement

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back