PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone Else Annoyed By NBC's 1st Down Line Screw-Ups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did show it briefly -- it was a group jive dance in the end zone. Those players should know better and I hope they get an earful from BB. The Steelers scored a touchdown on the short field after that kickoff.

Thanks, I was wondering what it was. It never showed here :(

hahahha..............true story tho. it looked like 1 end was on the 30 and the other on like the 36
Only one of the markers is official so it isn't that big of a deal.

It only pissed me off during one play. At the end of the 1st quarter I think. It was Steelers ball, 3rd and long and it looked like we stopped them with a huge hit by Chung if I remember correctly. Next thing you know, it's 1st & 10 without even measuring it. On the other hand, it made me laugh when the link was not even in a straight line.
What pizzed me off even more on that play was that NBC went to commercial before saying whether it was a first down or not.

NBC annoys me anyway. Start by stating the obvious and then beat it to death. :spygate:

How many times did tey mention that Ward was not in the game? Eleventy zillion?How many times did they say Moss was gone? After the first 10X I think that we know.

NBC annoys me anyway. Start by stating the obvious and then beat it to death. :spygate:

How many times did tey mention that Ward was not in the game? Eleventy zillion?How many times did they say Moss was gone? After the first 10X I think that we know.
Wait, Ward wasn't in the game?

They replayed the Ward clocking incessantly. Lobbying for Comm Clouseau to fine & suspend Sanders?

They replayed the Ward clocking incessantly. Lobbying for Comm Clouseau to fine & suspend Sanders?

Yes that got played over and over, maybe just to make sure that those viewing in Nepal joining late, saw it..

I'll be pissed if Sanders get finded. But he probably will, thnks in part to NBC. That was the poster child for unintentional helmet to helmet hits when players play the game..

Last edited:
Yes that got played over and over, maybe just to make sure that those viewing in Nepal joining late, saw it..

I think PatJew mentioned in another thread that his wife is in Nepal. Maybe for her benefit? :)

NBC needs to stop treating Sunday night games like they are the Olympics

Looks like everyone had the same reaction to that play at the end of the 1st Q.

fwiw, I really like having that stupid yellow line, though. Seems like it's usually pretty accurate.

Do away with it all together. Any fan with a modicum of intelligence who is actually following the play can figure out where the first down is. I mean really, if the ball is on say the Steelers 34 yd line (and it's say 2nd and 7), well duh that means they need to get to the 41 yd line.

No. They have to get it to the 27.

Depends who has the ball ;)

I saw a special once about how the yellow line works. It was really cool. It's pretty high tech, and, as might be expected, it depends on knowing exactly where the cameras are. My hunch is that last night the camera positioning was slightly off from what was set into the computer. The one where the yellow line was not straight across the field was probably just a case of the yellow line programmer assuming the shot would be from one stationary camera, but instead the shot was from another.

I find that the rush to get as many commercials in as possible is really ruining the game in a lot of respects. They now go to commercial on any stoppage, so there is frequently no opportunity to go to replay before the commercial. Then, when they get back, the announcers have so many reads to do on sponsors or other programming on the network, that the camera goes back to the field the instant the action is about to start and there's little time left. Replay between plays is still very slick, but replays before timeouts (official or otherwise) really suffers from the need to jam as many commercials in as possible.

The breaks are making football almost unwatchable for me. Fortunately, during the Sunday afternoon games, there is the red zone channel to make it not so pronounced. But Thursday, Sunday, and Monday nights are extreme.

Man, that was unacceptable and downright annoying.

They obviously miscalibrated their yellow line markings throughout the first half by at least a yard and a half.

On one 3rd down play, Chung made a GREAT hit a yard shy of it. We celebrated, the next thing we see, it's 1st down. A few minutes later, there's another play and a measurement comes out for a clearly short of the line measurement - - as the chains stretch nowhere near the yellow line, NBC's directors hurriedly fade the line as the referee signals first down.

I was to busy being annoyed by my Comcast HD signal breaking up every 2 minutes. :mad:

I've grown to dislike NBC Sunday night presentations from the corny into music, commentators... this time the immature and dead wrong heartbeat/flatliner quip to the lines on the field.

Just venting... thanks.

NBC is pretty awful overall. I know they're still the new kids, but the entire show lacks the polish of Fox and CBS.

Anytime I am unfortunate enough to be forced to watch a game on Fox I feel like someone rubbed by eyeballs with sandpaper. I have yet to see a single decent signal from Fox during games. It's like some 14 year old Chinese kid is pirating the signal and then sending it out to the public. Fox SUCKS!

Looks like everyone had the same reaction to that play at the end of the 1st Q.

fwiw, I really like having that stupid yellow line, though. Seems like it's usually pretty accurate.

BTW, for anyone wondering, here ya go:

YouTube - Big Hit New England Patriots vs Pittsburgh Steelers

Now, this was immediately followed by a commercial break, before which our good buddies Al and Cris never made any mention on whether the receiver got the first down or anything.

The breaks are making football almost unwatchable for me. Fortunately, during the Sunday afternoon games, there is the red zone channel to make it not so pronounced. But Thursday, Sunday, and Monday nights are extreme.

The only break that really drives me crazy is the one after kickoffs. The rest are logical--drives are uninterrupted except if there's a TO, after scores, end of quarters, whatever. But that "go to commercial, come back, kick off, commercial" thing drives me bonkers.

just fyi, they did get the 1st down on that play

If you mean that the zebras gave PitsDirt the 1st down, then you are correct.
If you mean that PitsDirt made the 1st down, then you are dead wrong.

Let me repeat: on that play, the yellow line was correct; the zebras & chain gang were all wrong.
The ball at the start of the series was placed at the Squealers' 31, and the ball at its farthest point after the catch was barely past the 40; IOW, not a 1st down, not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes