PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any Way Michael Floyd Returns to New England?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriotDynasty99

On the Roster
Reaction score
I assume almost everyone will say no, he's not needed. And perhaps that's true. But I liked what I saw in his limited time here.

WR position is pretty full. But a cheap one year contract? Anyone?

No reason not to consider him for a cheap, TC tryout/extended look if that's an option, but I think that ship has probably sailed.

Cooks
Edelman
Hogan
Mitchell
Amendola

Should all be close to locks. Of course, injuries happen, so that's why I'd consider the idea of a cheap deal where we could easily cut him. He'd almost certainly miss some early OTA's, has a proven drinking problem, and involvement with the courts. He's probably not what Belichick is looking for.

Just wondering though, what specifically made you feel as though he did well in his limited time here? One good block? A catch? Most of the time he wasn't even able to see the field. This idea that he looked good is somewhat overblown, in my opinion. I think he looked somewhat serviceable.

No reason not to consider him for a cheap, TC tryout/extended look if that's an option, but I think that ship has probably sailed.

Cooks
Edelman
Hogan
Mitchell
Amendola

Should all be close to locks. Of course, injuries happen, so that's why I'd consider the idea of a cheap deal where we could easily cut him. He'd almost certainly miss some early OTA's, has a proven drinking problem, and involvement with the courts. He's probably not what Belichick is looking for.

Just wondering though, what specifically made you feel as though he did well in his limited time here? One good block? A catch? Most of the time he wasn't even able to see the field. This idea that he looked good is somewhat overblown, in my opinion. I think he looked somewhat serviceable.
Yes, the block was amazing. Also the TD where he carried about 3 guys in to the end zone wasn't bad. He's very talented, always has been. You're right though, those 5 guys currently on the roster are locks. I would hope they'd carry an extra WR. I realize it's a long shot, but think he's capable of having some significant moments if he was on the team.

Nothing will happen on that front until after his suspension ends. I could see him back after that, especially if an injury occurs. He's big and has talent.

With the memory of AH fresh on their minds, the Pats might want to shy away from a guy who has this much difficulty with booze..

OTOH he is in the rolodex, as he knows the offense and the Pats know what to expect from him... so if we get a rash of injuries, he may be an option post suspension...

I think Floyd gave us his word would love to see him get a full TC knowing the fragility of some in the group. Also Floyd wouldn't count against the active Roster for at least Six weeks if the liar throws the book at him.

Last edited:
Remember if he signs elsewhere we get a comp pick.

If there is an injury a 1 yr prove it deal could work. Otherwise hard to see maybe feature him in preseason to allow other teams to 'see' him.

I assume almost everyone will say no, he's not needed. And perhaps that's true. But I liked what I saw in his limited time here.

WR position is pretty full. But a cheap one year contract? Anyone?
I think with a full TC he can be a pretty good WR3/4 here because of the current depth on the roster and he doesn't really play ST or run back kicks I highly doubt he'll be back.

Look at this from Floyd's perspective, rather than that of the Patriots.

If he signs with the Patriots his chances of surviving roster cuts are very slim, pretty much reliant on an injury to another player. That's not much of an incentive to return.

The chances of Michael Floyd returning to New England are about the same as his chances of being on the club in September. He would be much better off signing with a team with a greater need at WR, such as the Bears, Titans, Bills, Ravens or Chargers. With one of those clubs he has a reasonable chance to make the roster, and therefore actually receive a paycheck.

I'll take him for competition and as injury insurance. Can't think of a better injury replacement if any of the top 4 WRs get hurt in camp or preseason and aren't ready to go opening night.

Cooks
Edelman
Hogan
Mitchell
Amendola

Should all be close to locks.

Agreed. Plus Slater, the ST captain.

The Pats have never had a more impressive depth chart at WR, ever. That's five starting caliber players at the position, with all kinds of mix and match options.

Amendola's reworked deal is fully guaranteed. Who you gonna cut to make room for Floyd?

Better just to hope for a Compensatory.

I don't see it. I think the team is of the opinion that, given the depth at WR, bringing him back would only serve to ****** to the development of Mitchell. Mitchell came up big in the Super Bowl while Floyd was on the bench. I'd rather see him get any reps that Floyd would get.

On offense, the only position i can see an FA/Rookie take a roster spot right now is on the O-Line. Everywhere else we are set IMO.

EDIT: Maybe a #3-TE.

Last edited:
I'd like Floyd a lot more on the team if there wasn't so much depth in front of him. He's an unknown and we have the luxury of not having to dabble so much in the unknown at the WR position.

He had some ups and downs. As a big bodied receiver, he offers great blocking and contested catch ability, although he clearly needs work on running slants more crisply. I'd like to see him back on an incentive-heavy deal. We can do worse for training camp competition. He has talent if he can get his life in order.

I forgot about him

I'd say he's a pulled hammy away from being brought back, once he is able to travel.

First of all, after May 1st (I think), UFA signings no longer count in the Comp Pick calculations. Given that Floyd's "house arrest" term runs through the 3rd week in June, it seems unlikely that teams would risk a hit to the Comp Picks they currently have in hand by signing Floyd any time soon. IOW, he could still be available as late as mid-July, just before the start of Camp.

Secondly, aside from the obvious opportunity to have hands-on scouting of potential practice-squadders/future Patriots, one of the advantages to the 90-man off-season/Camp roster is that it provides the starting defense with a full offensive team to practice against that's comprised of players who are not offensive starters, and vice versa. Currently, the Pats have +/- 25 open spots that will be filled by draftees, UDFAs and veteran UFAs - even at positions where the 2017 53-man roster seems "set" at the moment.

There will be (possibly significant) churn at the roster bottom beginning during rookie camp and continuing right into August as the Pats let some of their original UDFA signees go and replace them with UDFAs originally signed by other teams and/or veteran UFAs (after the Comp Pick deadline). Probably one or two of the Pats own UDFA signees will fail their physicals at the start of rookie Camp, and there will probably be a few others who are invited to a limited tryout that doesn't even count against the 90-man roster.

So, until final cuts, there will be all sorts of room to sign prospective players who may have extremely limited chances of making the 53-man at their position. And, given that Floyd is almost certainly going to be suspended or an as yet to be determined number of games at the start of the season, it seems likely - and possibly even desirable - for the Pats to re-sign Floyd to a relatively cheap, one-year "prove-it" deal in July and have him competing in Camp.

Even if he doesn't show enough to acquire a spot on the Pats own 53-man, if he shows up well in the first couple pre-season games, they might be able to trade him to another team whose WR corps isn't quite as settled.

I'd say he's a pulled hammy away from being brought back, once he is able to travel.

And then, there's that. It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility for the Pats to re-sign Floyd and then stash him on IR for 8 weeks (plus suspension) during final cuts in order to have him available let in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft