PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any news on the offensive line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find any news on how the O line is performing. Anybody have some news links or training camp observations?

I haven't been able to find any news on how the O line is performing. Anybody have some news links or training camp observations?

Wendell let Wilfork blow through the line in TC last week like he wasn't even there, get in Brady's face, and force a pick 6. So he's picked up right where he's left off. Other than that, I haven't seen much reported (which is probably a good thing).

You should read Reiss' blog on ESPNBoston.com. He is keeping a close eye on the offensive line competition, specifically center and RG. He details some thoughts about yesterday's practice here.
Keeping tabs on center/right guard competition: Arguably the top competitions in training camp -- center and right guard -- added another layer to analyze today with Dan Connollygetting the bulk of the top reps at center and second-year player Josh Kline as the top right guard. The team also had Marcus Cannon working at right tackle with that group. Kline had what appeared to be a strong pancake block in one-on-one drills against third-year defensive end Doug Worthington, driving him into the ground (it was hard to tell from far away if Worthington lost his footing). With rookie center Bryan Stork remaining out since the fifth practice with what appeared to be a lower-leg injury, the current snapshot has Connolly, Kline and Ryan Wendell as the top candidates vying for top roles. The Patriots are mixing the combinations and taking a long look at all of them, depending on the day.

From Reiss' blog this morning. Sounds like the same problems that have plagued this team the past few years. Yes the first preseason game hasn't even happened, so plenty of time to correct things.

Line of scrimmage: When the teams worked on pass-rush drills the first two days, my subjective charting had Washington with the edge on both lines. There has been a lot of positive buzz about the Patriots in this setting, and the team has practiced well overall, but the line of scrimmage is one area that perhaps has been a bit overlooked. Still anxious to see more and how all the pieces fit as the competition at center and right guard evolves, and if the Patriots can generate a bit more pass rush than we have seen here.

Josh Kline seems to be taking the RG spot so far. Which makes me feel good because he was my choice to win Dancing with the Scar last season.

Other than that, Reiss reported today that Washington has been getting the best of us in all D-Line and O-Line drills.

Josh Kline seems to be taking the RG spot so far. Which makes me feel good because he was my choice to win Dancing with the Scar last season.

Other than that, Reiss reported today that Washington has been getting the best of us in all D-Line and O-Line drills.
At this point, I'm expecting Cannon to win that spot. Connolly is my guess to win the Center spot.

Connolly is my guess to win the Center spot.

All signs seem to point that way, and it makes sense. Stork isn't going to be ready, Braxston Cave hasn't earned many reps, and Wendell doesn't offer positional flexibility, developmental upside, or a bargain salary.

All signs seem to point that way, and it makes sense. Stork isn't going to be ready, Braxston Cave hasn't earned many reps, and Wendell doesn't offer positional flexibility, developmental upside, or a bargain salary.

Who would you keep as your 9 OL? Let's say the starting unit is Solder, Mankins, Connolly, Cannon and Vollmer. Kline and Fleming will probably make it. There's 7. The 8th spot would prob be; Stork, Wendell or Cave. I will say Stork if he's healthy. 9th guy would be Halapio or a waiver pick-up from another team would be the 9th.

The O-line situation has me a little nervous. Hopefully DeGugliemo will pick up where Scar left off.

I hope they do something about this before the season starts. The O-line was a major weakness last year IMO.

Who would you keep as your 9 OL? Let's say the starting unit is Solder, Mankins, Connolly, Cannon and Vollmer. Kline and Fleming will probably make it. There's 7. The 8th spot would prob be; Stork, Wendell or Cave. I will say Stork if he's healthy. 9th guy would be Halapio or a waiver pick-up from another team would be the 9th.

Right now, I'm looking at

Vollmer
Solder
Cannon
Fleming
Mankins
Stork
Halapio
Connolly
Kline

Any discussion of the o-line has to start with the fact that the Patriots have three experienced NFL starters at the tackle position. That, alone, puts the Pats o-line ahead of the vast majority of NFL teams.

Now, add a Pro Bowl caliber vet at left guard.

Veteran JAGs and enough position flexibility to cover injuries.

And, several young players to keep the development pipeline filled.

Gronk is key to the Pats O line. Nobody was complaining, myself included, when he was in there last season. When he went out, the interior of that line slowly deteriorated on passing plays and also lost effectiveness on running plays at the end. A healthy Gronk bodes well for the health of the Pats O line...IMO of course

How offensive line protects Tom Brady key to success | Karen Guregian | Boston Herald

Heading into tonight’s preseason opener against the Washington Redskins, the performance of the offensive line is high on the list of problem areas to focus on. If new offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo can’t right that ship and keep the franchise quarterback safe, cancel those reservations to Arizona for the anticipated trip to the Super Bowl.

While defense wins championships, the Pats won’t get there if Brady is hit as much as last season.

During the three days of joint practices against the Redskins, we saw a calm and relaxed Brady put on a clinic. He wowed the masses, going 60-for-80 in team drills the first two days prior to yesterday’s walkthrough. The reason for his comfort was in part because he wasn’t particularly rushed or harassed during drills. Will that stay the same during actual game action?

Last season, left tackle Nate Solder and center Ryan Wendell had the most trouble in pass protection. During camp thus far, Solder hasn’t exactly distinguished himself in the individual battles. And here, he also struggled against Brian Orakpo during one-on-ones.

Should there be worry and concern?

When it comes to guarding Brady’s blind side, it’s always a concern if Solder looks like a turnstile in any drill. That’s the nature of the beast. But it should be noted during 11-on-11 drills, Brady had a good pocket to throw from. Solder held his own. Wendell was fine. And, if help was needed, running back Shane Vereen was used to double Orakpo, or guard Logan Mankins slid over, or one of the tight ends chipped at the Redskins defensive end.

It also helped that Brady got rid of the ball incredibly fast. ...​

Protecting the Franchise should be Job #1, yet Bill drafts a Tackle (Fleming) and a Guard (Halapio)
who are much too unathletic to pass-block effectively.

Protecting the Franchise should be Job #1, yet Bill drafts a Tackle (Fleming) and a Guard (Halapio)
who are much too unathletic to pass-block effectively.

Not sure about Fleming, but Halapio can pass protect just fine. His main weakness is getting upfield quickly and getting a hat on LB's in the screen game.

I think too much will be made on 1-1s. It's very difficult for the reactionary player (LT defending the attack of a RE and DB defending against WR)

The only thing I worry about the OL is health amongst the starting 6 (including Gronk). If they are good to go then no worries.

Protecting the Franchise should be Job #1, yet Bill drafts a Tackle (Fleming) and a Guard (Halapio) who are much too unathletic to pass-block effectively.

They've clearly made a huge change in OL draft philosophy post-Dante. I think "much too unathletic to pass-block effectively" is too big a leap to make, though. It's only by the past standards of the Patriots, whose approach was extreme in terms of prioritizing athleticism, that Fleming and Hilapio look out of keeping. Other big, slow maulers were drafted above them.

I can only assume that they point to a change of scheme/priorities moving forward. (That being said, neither of them seems to have made a tremendous impression in camp.)

We don't need Fleming, Halapio, and Stork to "stand out". We need them to be consistent. Consistent with their blocks in both the passing game and running game. If they can't do that, then the Pats need to teach them the techniques they need or move on..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back