PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any athlete in history more driven than Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about more, but Larry Bird was as driven. Red Auerbach said, Bird would kill you to win at Badminton.

One of the great and maybe most underrated traits of TFB and peyton was not missing games . How many big time QB's can say that?

Sure lots. How about all those athletes who overcame disability? For example, Anthony Robles. The dude was born with 1 leg and won the wrestling NCAA title.

Spoiler: He won 17-1!!!!!!

Sure lots. How about all those athletes who overcame disability? For example, Anthony Robles. The dude was born with 1 leg and won the wrestling NCAA title.

Spoiler: He won 17-1!!!!!!

Wow

Peyton mAnning

I couldn’t keep a straight face typing that

I think being that driven after the success brady has had is the hardest part. Alot of players get content/lazy once they have had some success. You see it all the time when a player gets a big contract and they regress...in all sports.

Brady still has that chip on his shoulder where he isn't content with what he has and wants more.

The game of sports is as much a mental game as it is physical IMO. and some players can have all the tools in the world but if they lack that mental aspect...its a hinderance.

Jordan and Bird spring to mind. Ruthless killers

Trying my hardest to think of someone with more drive and only one pops to mind and that's Cristiano Ronaldo (maybe Federer). Brady just might be the most driven athlete ever, like in any sport, anywhere.

Imagine being a 40 year old athlete after already accomplishing becoming the greatest in your field and achieving every team goal and more, yet STILL getting up every morning trying to actually get better as opposed to what most greats did (Kobe, Jordan, Manning etc.) who just let their body dictate when it was all said and done. For the MVP level at which he is still playing at, the superlatives are running thin to continue describing him.

You can't beat father time but Brady is taking that man to double overtime for sure.
Bird....Jordan....Russell.....Magic....Federer...Koufax

Trying my hardest to think of someone with more drive and only one pops to mind and that's Cristiano Ronaldo (maybe Federer). Brady just might be the most driven athlete ever, like in any sport, anywhere.

Imagine being a 40 year old athlete after already accomplishing becoming the greatest in your field and achieving every team goal and more, yet STILL getting up every morning trying to actually get better as opposed to what most greats did (Kobe, Jordan, Manning etc.) who just let their body dictate when it was all said and done. For the MVP level at which he is still playing at, the superlatives are running thin to continue describing him.

You can't beat father time but Brady is taking that man to double overtime for sure.

Claiming a player is the most driven athlete of all time but zeroing out all the other great athletes because they "let their body dictate" their performance is pure bias. I think its very difficult to say Tom Brady has worked harder than MJ or Kobe. I think its far more valid to say that Brady has been far more open minded on how to extend the performance of his body as he's aged than those two.

Brady is as maniacal as Kobe, MJ, Ronaldo, Federer, etc. about being the very very best.

But you cannot say that Brady is more driven than Michael Jordan. I think they're on par, but Michael Jordan is Michael Jordan. He is the epitome of American athletic greatness at a time when America was probably at its best, and the world looked to MJ as the epitome of greatness.

Most athletes at the highest level are a bit maniacal, at least the ones who succeed. Isiah Thomas the 1st scored 25 points in the 4th quarter on one leg in Game 6 of the 88 finals, maybe the most ballsy individual athletic performance ever.

Ultimately, no matter how driven Brady is, football is a sport where players can only have impact on one side of the ball. Basketball is a two-way sport and drive + hard work = success is hard to apply in sports because there are so many factors, but in general individual basketball players can elevate their play to have far more impact on the outcome for their team. The hero of Super Bowl XLIX was Malcolm Butler, not Brady. However, the hero in game 7 of the 2016 finals was Lebron, the man went balls out to beat the Warriors, its just a limiting aspect of the sport. Thus, its very hard to elevate Brady's drive as GREATER than any other great athletes of all time. Not to limit him, just the nature of the sport itself.

It's not really something you're able to judge since it's not able to be measured, but Jordan and Bird come to mind immediately. Those two also had similar, legendary talent like Brady.... Who knows about equally driven but less skilled players.

Gretzky was famous for his drive and work ethic. Muhammad Ali was relentless. Jordan was the ultimate in basketball.

Ana Kournikova :rolleyes: :p

Peyton mAnning

I couldn’t keep a straight face typing that
I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this.... Peyton Manning had a severe neck injury that should have and would have retired most athletes. He worked his way back from that into elite status. If that isn't drive, I don't know what is.

Idk I guess I find threads like this rather self indulgent. You can't measure drive. Maybe the most driven athlete of all time is a Rudy-esque figure who was mediocre his whole career but was compensating for severe physical limitations. Just because the greats had the drive AND the tools to put them over the top doesn't mean they wanted more than some other guys. Even in football, how many stories about Jerry Rice's insane work ethic would you hear over and over again.

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this.... Peyton Manning had a severe neck injury that should have and would have retired most athletes. He worked his way back from that into elite status. If that isn't drive, I don't know what is.

Idk I guess I find threads like this rather self indulgent. You can't measure drive. Maybe the most driven athlete of all time is a Rudy-esque figure who was mediocre his whole career but was compensating for severe physical limitations. Just because the greats had the drive AND the tools to put them over the top doesn't mean they wanted more than some other guys. Even in football, how many stories about Jerry Rice's insane work ethic would you hear over and over again.
After Posting that I regretted it and realized Peyton was probably a really driven guy.

Really good work ethic. Studied hard.

He was more physically gifted than brady. I guess I just felt brady had to work harder to get where he was and everyone doubted him

How much drive does it take to pop some high?
Rice absolutely.
Honestly it’s a silly topic because there are thousands of driven players and you can’t measure drive by success. Many of the most driven players overcame a lack of talent to make it to the nfl to be mediocre nfl players.

How can this possibly be quantified? :confused: lol

Ryan Lochte

9c9e7c56014f58f0b73dffe155e04328366686dfa1c9dfbcb63962d3550ac91d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back