PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are Brady/Bucs leading the NFL down the path of the NBA?

amfootball

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Pretty interesting article here from Hart on the state of the NFL with its superstar QBs wanting to call their shots like Brady did in Tampa this year. I think as usual he goes waaay too far in his analysis as there is always QB movement every year and guys have always been trying to have more say in personnel issues. I do think Brady winning has provided a platform for QBs like Rodgers and Wilson to belly ache but the reality is the NFL will never be the NBA because of the hard cap and non-guaranteed contracts. The players will never get the control the NBA has. I mean Brady only got it after 20 years of being in NE with the most obsessive/control freak GM in the game.

I mean Brady was a free agent he had a chance to choose where to go and he chose wisely. Wilson and Rodgers are under contract

I mean Brady was a free agent he had a chance to choose where to go and he chose wisely. Wilson and Rodgers are under contract

It does beg the question though. If Desaun watson gets his wish and is traded to a "ready to go minus a QB" team like the 49ers or Broncos if more QBs will start doing it. Stafford already kind of forced his way to the Rams.

Brady leaving the rebuilding Patriots and going to a team that has alot of young talent still on rookie contracts and seeing his success probably has alot of guys looking around and saying "why should I wait for my team to build talent around me? I can just go to a team with talent already in place just waiting for a QB"

It does beg the question though. If Desaun watson gets his wish and is traded to a "ready to go minus a QB" team like the 49ers or Broncos if more QBs will start doing it. Stafford already kind of forced his way to the Rams.

Brady leaving the rebuilding Patriots and going to a team that has alot of young talent still on rookie contracts and seeing his success probably has alot of guys looking around and saying "why should I wait for my team to build talent around me? I can just go to a team with talent already in place just waiting for a QB"
Nobody is Tom Brady though...they can try but TB is unique

I think the big difference here is that Watson would be ending up on a team that's missing lots of resources, because they were traded in return for him. The hypothetical 49ers trades often seem to include Bosa, Aiyuk, and/or future firsts headed the other direction, which is significantly less desirable than joining a 49ers team that keeps all of those assets intact.

Maybe Watson shouldn’t have sign a 160M extension last offseason.

I think Brady's case was unique. He was a free agent, there happened to be a team with a glut of talent AND a two-time Coach of the Year winner at HC, in a place where his family also wanted to be. Not to mention that we've seen "Super Teams" in the past, and there are VERY mixed results. Brady can bring a group of talent (who to that point had underachieved) and glue them together, but would Aaron Rodgers? Would Watson? I would argue both of those guys have had rosters nearly as talented as the Bucs were this year, and not won it. So let the diva QB's (Brady is NOT one of them, btw) shoot their way out of town, force the team they're going to to give up additional assets, max out their cap hit, and bring in only players who make their numbers look good. That's going to fail 99 times out of a 100.

Maybe Watson shouldn’t have sign a 160M extension last offseason.

That makes sense. However, all these guys have unsustainable contracts to the new reality of the NFL.

Frankly, it's hard to see how Houston gets out from under that contract long term. Green Bay and Seattle have their own internal issues.

Peak QB and the CAP to infinity bubble bursts.

Either you self- paycut or find a place that can honor your contract.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back