PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another year with Amendola: WR signs reduced contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Count them however you want. Over the last 3 seasons, the Patriots have had 5 WR + Slater on the team. The point is that they're seemingly unlikely to carry 6 WR + Slater, given prior team building history, so anyone new will have to take the spot of one of the guys currently on the roster, listed above.

For all those that want to pick Switzer - you cannot stash him on the PS - he will be gone.

This isn't surprising and for just about what most of us expected. At this stage of his career, where else could DA make close to $2MM doing something he loves and is pretty good at.

The REAL value of DA for this season will be as WR depth. He can go in and sub for Edelman both at WR/the slot, and on punt returns. He is going to be where he is supposed to be, and will catch the damned ball when it shows up.

What he CAN'T do on a consistent basis is beat tight, physical man coverage. He isn't fast and has lost some of his quickness. However when he has to beat your 4th or 5th best coverage guy, he can get that done. No team is going to read about this signing and worry about it. He has become an "is what he is" man, and get's BB/Brady's highest acolade and adjective, DEPENDABLE.

Last time I complained about DA was before the 2014 playoffs. The guy is worth any contract he signs just for the postseason. I have never seen anyone as clutch as him at WR.

When it comes to playoffs, I would pick him as my number 1 starter over anyone in our team at WR/TE.

Last time I complained about DA was before the 2014 playoffs. The guy is worth any contract he signs just for the postseason. I have never seen anyone as clutch as him at WR.

When it comes to playoffs, I would pick him as my number 1 starter over anyone in our team at WR/TE.

This is where people lose touch with reality. You do realize DA is operating vs the #3 CB usually. If he was up against the #1 CB like JE (or being doubled), there would not be so much Amendola love.

Part of me feels annoyed Amendola is the one to continually take pay cuts, part of me understands his production simply isn't there and the pay cuts are warranted and part of me understands the Patriots would not have two more Super Bowls without Amendola's valuable and CLUTCH playoff performances. Amendola understands and appreciates his situation. Take a hit to the hip pocket, stay on a team that gives you a chance to win, a franchise where the players appear to genuinely care about each other and ultimately, a chance at football immortality. He's almost the perfect Patriot.

DA has balls the size of watermelons. I don't care if he misses 5 regular season games as long as he's healthy for the tournament. Clutch!

Regardless of how much he was due to make vs. production, it says a lot about his character and how much he loves playing for the Pats to take a pay cut 3 consecutive years.

and the choice was.....?

On a critical third or fourth down late in the game, I don't think a ball has ever hit the ground when DA is the target. He has made me reconsider the notion that clutch play is a myth.

Not a flat out drop, but Amendola did not catch a ball on 3rd down at the Denver goal line with 2:30 left in the 4th in the 2016 AFCCG. Was hit by K. Webster and did not hold the ball - which definitely was catchable. We did not score on that drive and had to hold them to get a last ditch shot.

Part of me feels annoyed Amendola is the one to continually take pay cuts, part of me understands his production simply isn't there and the pay cuts are warranted and part of me understands the Patriots would not have two more Super Bowls without Amendola's valuable and CLUTCH playoff performances. Amendola understands and appreciates his situation. Take a hit to the hip pocket, stay on a team that gives you a chance to win, a franchise where the players appear to genuinely care about each other and ultimately, a chance at football immortality. He's almost the perfect Patriot.

Well said.

However, before we write a sad ballad, check out his girlfriend! Wow. Also, he has about $20M in cash earnings, which I believe is more than Welker or Edelman. That's not to diminish the fact he really has left cash on the table to win, which 99% of athletes would not have done regardless of how much money they've made previously. It has paid off big time. The man is a borderline legend and is almost guaranteed long-term endorsements and a football related job when he retires. And of course, he loves playing for the Patriots...one of the few players who really appreciates the quality of his professional life over the monetary value.

Even with this move, I don't see him as a lock necessarily. He has his limitations and with a crowded group a rookie could potentially push him to the shadow roster.

I like Danny. He has always been a Patriot and does what is best for the team!

I am glad we are keeping amendola, but perplexed why we cut tre Jackson. I know he was playing like jag when we last saw him and we know he has a history of knee issues, but why cut him now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News