PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

And, We Have Our Offense

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It seems that we have our Offense, other than injury-replacements and the signing of a veteran OL (or two).

I see no holes. I am very pleased with the change in the roster in 2021 and 2022.
==================
Yes, I understand that we might have a surprise trade our two. For example, we MIGHT keep 5 WR's, or not.
=======================
AS AN ASIDE
I think that we have improvements at WR and RB, over 2021. And, I expect that we will fine at OL, TE and PR.

Last edited:
This could be a strong unit, no real stud but alot for mac to work with. White and henry are good ‘security blankets’. If Thornton emerges as a legit big play threat even better.

Run game was already a strength.

Meyers Henry Wynn Strange Andrews Onwenu Brown Bourne
Jones Smith
Harris/Rham
OR

Agholor Meyers Wynn Strange Andrews Onwenu Brown Thornton
Jones Bourne
White/Strong

This OL looks like a smash mouth type. The backs fit the model as well. So which backup linemen will lineup as TE’s now that Onwenu is likely a full time starter? Someone will get some mileage there since no FB’s are around, unless you count Keene.
Speaking of no FB’s, a spot just opened up for an extra RB….maybe.

Meyers Henry Wynn Strange Andrews Onwenu Brown Bourne
Jones Smith
Harris/Rham
OR

Agholor Meyers Wynn Strange Andrews Onwenu Brown Thornton
Jones Bourne
White/Strong
If Devante Parker isn't on the field, well, no.

I don't like the depth on the OL at any spot tbh. I like our starters, even considering one of them is a rookie, but the fact that people keep penciling Desjarlais in as the primary IOL backup when he was just a futures contract signing from the CFL is telling. I guess there's also Ferentz...

Our backup tackles at least have some NFL experience, but none of them have ever looked particularly good. Cajuste seems to have the most potential, or at least doesn't appear to be as dead of an end as someone like Durant/Herron. I still don't even trust him to be a primary backup tackle.

Of course, I'll feel a lot better about the OL depth if those late round OL picks look good. Otherwise, this season looks like it'll go as far as the health of the offensive line.

The skill players are intact from last year with Parker, Thornton and Strong added. The line has moving pieces but Onwenu and Strong replacing Mason and Karras. I think we're set although a higher upside future Tackle would have been nice. The two late round picks look ready to compete with the vet backup holdovers.

Ready for a good growth year with Mac.

I expect Parker to be the #1 WR out of camp. I'd like to see Thornton make an impact so the offense can get away from dumping it off to Myers and slide him down to the 4th-5th option. Hopefully, they figure out a way to get Agholor more involved.

I expect better things from Jonu Smith next year with a clean slate. He's a better player than advertised, but not what many posters thought he was.

The two RB's drafted were a clear indication they are watching White's hip and Taylor is on notice. If one of these RB's show something in camp like Rhamondre did last year and White is a step slower, Bill will encourage White to retire like Bruschi, Harrison, Holt and others rather than releasing him.

They need a backup at T for when Wynn gets hurt...and he will.

I don't like the depth on the OL at any spot tbh. I like our starters, even considering one of them is a rookie, but the fact that people keep penciling Desjarlais in as the primary IOL backup when he was just a futures contract signing from the CFL is telling. I guess there's also Ferentz...

Our backup tackles at least have some NFL experience, but none of them have ever looked particularly good. Cajuste seems to have the most potential, or at least doesn't appear to be as dead of an end as someone like Durant/Herron. I still don't even trust him to be a primary backup tackle.

Of course, I'll feel a lot better about the OL depth if those late round OL picks look good. Otherwise, this season looks like it'll go as far as the health of the offensive line.
CURRENT MOST LIKELY BACKUPS: Ferentz, Herron, Desjarlais, Cajuste

Although a veteran backup or two seems likely, Belichick seems fine with both Ferentz and Herron.

Belichick is NOT counting on Desjarlais or Cajuste, although both could certainly step and be upgrades over the two backups from 2021. And, as I have said, we certainly could add a veteran backup or two.

This thread is most reassuring. I admire the posters, and if the greatest concerns on offense are depth, this should be a fun team to watch do battle with its opponents in the post-Brady era.

My greatest concerns are on defense, but there is something I like about the shift to younger players and the plethora of hard hitters at all three levels. The defense will be led by Matthew Judon, Christian Barmore, Jabrill Peppers, Deatrich Wise, Kyle Dugger - a new generation of players who will have the steadying influence of McCourty, Phillips, Guy and Butler. I was really hoping for top-line rookie LB early in the draft, but if there's an nfl coach who knows what his LBs are capable of, it's Belichick. In Bill we trust.

One concern - and maybe it's been addressed - will Parker "get it"? Does he adjust to the new playbook and offensive complexities?

I hope he does - we need a true #1 and he does fit the bill. His presence will also help out Agholor as well as the slot guys.

One concern - and maybe it's been addressed - will Parker "get it"? Does he adjust to the new playbook and offensive complexities?

I hope he does - we need a true #1 and he does fit the bill. His presence will also help out Agholor as well as the slot guys.
Will Agholor "get in" and improve?
Will Parker "get it" in his first year?
Will Thornton "get it" as a rookie?
Will Smith "get it" in his 2nd year?

I have no clue. But, we do have Bourne, Myers, and Henry coming back (and White).

I'm not sure that anyone will be THE NUMBER ONE wide receiver, or even whether such a concept is useful for a patriot offense. I would just like of the 4 above to be productive this season.

Will Agholor "get in" and improve?
Will Parker "get it" in his first year?
Will Thornton "get it" as a rookie?
Will Smith "get it" in his 2nd year?

I have no clue. But, we do have Bourne, Myers, and Henry coming back (and White).

I'm not sure that anyone will be THE NUMBER ONE wide receiver, or even whether such a concept is useful for a patriot offense. I would just like of the 4 above to be productive this season.

Great post. Agree. Also that is all the moving pieces we need for 2022, and it sets us up well for 2023.

Let's also hope the UDFA Miami QB King can learn the slot. Another moving piece for the future, but UDFAs are always a long term project.

Need an elite WR.

OBJ
Deebo
Landry
AB

Great post. Agree. Also that is all the moving pieces we need for 2022, and it sets us up well for 2023.

Let's also hope the UDFA Miami QB King can learn the slot. Another moving piece for the future, but UDFAs are always a long term project.
I always like having a 4th QB for camp. Perhaps, he can make the Practice Squad.

And, yes, we are now well placed for 2023. After all, we have several free agents: Agholor, Myers, White and Harris. Belichick drafted to meet each of those possibilities.

irte2poeejnsu2auv0ct

I always like having a 4th QB for camp. Perhaps, he can make the Practice Squad.

And, yes, we are now well placed for 2023. After all, we have several free agents: Agholor, Myers, White and Harris. Belichick drafted to meet each of those possibilities.

Zappe, our 4th round draft pick, is the 4th QB in camp (Mac 1, Hoyer 2, Stidham 3). No need for a 5th QB so I assume UDFA King is a conversion project to slot WR like Edelman was. Practice squad in 2022 and maybe slot receiver in 2023.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back