PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

And, We Have Our Offense

I think they got Zappe to carry Mac's clipboard and so he feels tall. Bill is smart. Trying to instill confidence in the young buck.

Stidham injured his shoulder and can no longer carry the clipboard plus he's the same height as Mac.

I’m happy with where this offense stands overall now.

I just really don’t feel great about the defense. But I guess we’ll wait and see.

Will Agholor "get in" and improve?
Will Parker "get it" in his first year?
Will Thornton "get it" as a rookie?
Will Smith "get it" in his 2nd year?

I have no clue. But, we do have Bourne, Myers, and Henry coming back (and White).

I'm not sure that anyone will be THE NUMBER ONE wide receiver, or even whether such a concept is useful for a patriot offense. I would just like of the 4 above to be productive this season.
What I find most interesting is that Parker can be a “number one” but Agholor and Thornton both have elite speed, Bourne is so dynamic that he can be a borderline “number one”, and Meyers is very reliable. The theoretical ceiling on that group of 5 receivers is extremely high.

Parker may not be the league’s best WR1, but Meyers could be the league’s best WR4.

If Jonnu Smith can rebound this year this can be a good (not great) offense.

This could be a strong unit, no real stud
Rham =
Olivia Newton John Actress GIF

I just hope our Failed Ex-Coach/Offensive Consultants loosen the reigns a little more and let Rham pound

The drafted RB's would have been inside the top 100 just 10 years ago, when the NFL had something known as "a running game" at the center of most offenses. I'm as happy at Joker's cheerleader.

Last year's offense was OK, but this year we have a right to expect a lot more:
QB: expect improvement from Mac in every aspect
RB: Pierre Strong looks amazing, Kevin Harris is a bruiser - reminds me of the 2011 draft with Vereen & Ridley. Also White is returning.
TE: Henry should remain excellent, Jonnu will definitely improve, and Asiasi could break through as well.
WR: adding Parker and Thornton is a ridiculous upgrade at the top. The biggest question is how many good receivers can we keep?
OL: Questions, but Strange should be able to replace Mason, Trent Brown is due for a healthy year, and Onwenu should be ready to dominate after a sophomore slump.

What I find most interesting is that Parker can be a “number one” but Agholor and Thornton both have elite speed, Bourne is so dynamic that he can be a borderline “number one”, and Meyers is very reliable. The theoretical ceiling on that group of 5 receivers is extremely high.

Parker may not be the league’s best WR1, but Meyers could be the league’s best WR4.
I agree. And that presumes that Myers isn't our #5 WR.

I worry more about who’s coaching the O and calling plays than the talent on the field right now.

The training wheels need to come off Mac and let’s open up this offence to its full potential. Like others I’m more concerned about the D.

I agree. And that presumes that Myers isn't our #5 WR.
Yep. But if Meyers is the #4 then that means Thornton is the #5… Not that the Pats necessarily run 5 WR sets much, but I can imagine sending Agholor and Thornton deep would leave a lot of room for Parker, Bourne and Meyers to operate with. The OL would just need to hold up to the pass rush.

I think Parker is underrated… if he can stay healthy (which is a concern, but he’s not made of glass either), with TWO speed demons on the roster besides him, I think he’s going to be really good…

Yep. But if Meyers is the #4 then that means Thornton is the #5… Not that the Pats necessarily run 5 WR sets much, but I can imagine sending Agholor and Thornton deep would leave a lot of room for Parker, Bourne and Meyers to operate with. The OL would just need to hold up to the pass rush.

I think Parker is underrated… if he can stay healthy (which is a concern, but he’s not made of glass either), with TWO speed demons on the roster besides him, I think he’s going to be really good…
totally agree - Parker is a #1, and with Agholor or Thornton also running it should open up the offense noticeably.

- I love our depth at OL, RB, TE, WR, and QB....

- OL-wise...I love our starting 5 including Strange...and think the two late draft picks along with the CFL guy, Cajuste, Herron, and etc...we might have 2-3 guys on the practice squad that are ready to step in on Sundays for when Wynn/Brown probably miss a game or two. And Strange may be our Andrews replacement eventually.

- RB-wise...we have a FULL RB room...I like the new kid from South Dakota state....Pierre Strong...he provides competition for JJ Taylor and may be our 3rd down back when White is probably PUP'd to start the season. And the other kid...Walker...probably will play ST's and be RB#2 a year from now when Damien Harris almost likely leaves in free agency (just don't see the Pats ponying up especially if Rham develops even more).

- TE-wise...I am happy with Henry being Jones' binkie....and think they will find ways to use Jonnu Smith more next season. And I still have not written off Asiasi and Keene (hybrid FB potential) myself. Good to have depth there...and I think Asiasi can step in a play if Smith misses a game or two. Asiasi has to be better than he was in 2020....

- QB-wise...good to give Stiddy some competition...and also make Hoyer earn his spot on the roster. Doesn't hurt to develop a 4th rounder into something....and I think we'll trade Stiddy if we can find a taker...a 7th rounder in 2024 would be fine by me.

- WR-wise...like someone alluded to above...we don't have an elite top end #1 WR...but we have a good collection of #2 WR's, IMO. The kid from Baylor excites me...but we'll have to see how that goes...and please for my sake...don't give the kid jersey #17.... I expect Agholor to see more balls this year...Bourne to be Bourne...Meyers to take a step back, IMO (less targeted), and I think we'll try our best to move Harry....I'd trade Harry and Stiddy for a 2024 7th just to be done with it.

We will NOT have 5 active WR's. It is not even clear that we will have 5 WR's on the 53.

If we run an empty set, Henry and White are fine as receivers.

We will NOT have 5 active WR's. It is not even clear that we will have 5 WR's on the 53.

If we run an empty set, Henry and White are fine as receivers.
Yeah, probably not.

I’d be surprised if Thornton makes a big impact THIS year. IF the Pats keep Agholor, I expect him to have a good year. Last time that it was a contract year for Agholor, he had a BIG year. So I think our WR’s will be Parker, Bourne and Meyers in the 3 receiver set, and Agholor will come in on the 4 receiver sets, and spell Bourne in the 3 receiver set. Parker is the Pat’s best receiver. Followed by Bourne & Meyers.

Only way Thornton gets decent playing time, is if they decide to dump Agholor. I could be wrong though, they did trade up to get him.

I’d be surprised if Thornton makes a big impact THIS year. IF the Pats keep Agholor, I expect him to have a good year. Last time that it was a contract year for Agholor, he had a BIG year. So I think our WR’s will be Parker, Bourne and Meyers in the 3 receiver set, and Agholor will come in on the 4 receiver sets, and spell Bourne in the 3 receiver set. Parker is the Pat’s best receiver. Followed by Bourne & Meyers.

Only way Thornton gets decent playing time, is if they decide to dump Agholor. I could be wrong though, they did trade up to get him.
Agholor is good, he just was asked to do too much as a #1. I see Meyers as losing reps with Parker here, but he has a way of playing his way onto the field. Bourne as well, and can't wait to see Thornton. I'm not used to seeing an abundance of talent at WR and it's confusing.

Only thing that might hold the offense back is Joe Judge...

On paper it's a really good collection of players. The high end talent might be lacking, but the floor is high with no real weak links in the starting lineup. It all comes down to Mac's development: if he makes a jump, they'll have a great offense, if he doesn't, I expect it to merely be "pretty good". Play calling and game planning might be an issue, but I expect Bill to be very hands on with that side of the ball in 2022.

What I really want to see is them being able to produce when the running game isn't going. Last year they were incapable of coming back and lost every game in which they gave up 25+ points. Want to see stretches of the passing game carrying the load and more responsibility being put on Mac's shoulders.

Agholor is good, he just was asked to do too much as a #1. I see Meyers as losing reps with Parker here, but he has a way of playing his way onto the field. Bourne as well, and can't wait to see Thornton. I'm not used to seeing an abundance of talent at WR and it's confusing.
IF we carry all 5 WR's, at least one will be inactive each weak.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back