PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Ameer Speed - Round 6 - #214 Overall

Still feel strongly that since this kid is not a football player, he should have been a FA only. So why waste a draft pick on him?

Even Spartan fans will tell you how surprised that he was drafted when far better players weren’t. Just looking at a sheet of paper is only what makes him enticing.

Dude couldn’t cover receivers. He was regularly torched.

Why not use that pick on an injured stud like USC’s Vorhees, a RB, or a developmental LT like Northern Michigan’s Jake Witt or TE like Old Dominion’s Zack Kuntz?

I was very vocal on the Draft thread begging for Kuntz.

Speed was a stretch to pick then. There was no stretch to Kuntz at all. It would be great to have Kuntz in training camp this year. They could have worked out Kuntz every day until he was worn out and sopping wet with sweat. But Belichick often is slow with rookies. So maybe they would have eased Kuntz in gradually until he was ready.

Either way, it would have been nice to have Kuntz.

We could always give Ameer Speed a nickname to make him more interesting. Ameer Twat Speed?

Last edited:
I’m intrigued by Speed and Bolden and think both have a good chance to make the 53.

Over the last couple of seasons, the Pats have evolved into a primarily zone team on early downs. I don’t think that’s so much an indictment of their corners as they still are a man team on 3rd down. Instead, I see it as their best strategy to adequately play the run by allowing bigger personnel to be on the field at LB and also have more eyeballs looking in the offensive backfield without making them too vulnerable to big pass plays on those downs.

Players as fast, long and physical as Speed and Bolden might be very useful players in their zone schemes. Maybe, more useful than their smaller CBs in those roles and rest some of their better man cover corners for obvious passing downs.

Last year the Pats kept 6 CBs on the 53- Jon Jones, Mills, Jack Jones, Marcus Jones, Bryant and Wade. Gonzalez replaces Mills who’s competing for a safety spot. From what little video i could find of Speed and Bolden, both are better man corners than Shaun Wade (not saying much), and Myles Bryant can’t cover anyone bigger or faster than he is which is a problem because every receiver is either bigger or faster than Bryant.

To improve, the Patriots defense needed to get faster, longer and more physical. The Patriots add a CB in the 6th and 7th rounds who have elite size, speed and ST physicality traits, and still people complain. Let see how it plays out, but I like those picks and am intrigued by how the coaches might use their physical traits to improve an already good defense to be even better.

I’m intrigued by Speed and Bolden and think both have a good chance to make the 53.

Over the last couple of seasons, the Pats have evolved into a primarily zone team on early downs. I don’t think that’s so much an indictment of their corners as they still are a man team on 3rd down. Instead, I see it as their best strategy to adequately play the run by allowing bigger personnel to be on the field at LB and also have more eyeballs looking in the offensive backfield without making them too vulnerable to big pass plays on those downs.

Players as fast, long and physical as Speed and Bolden might be very useful players in their zone schemes. Maybe, more useful than their smaller CBs in those roles and rest some of their better man cover corners for obvious passing downs.

Last year the Pats kept 6 CBs on the 53- Jon Jones, Mills, Jack Jones, Marcus Jones, Bryant and Wade. Gonzalez replaces Mills who’s competing for a safety spot. From what little video i could find of Speed and Bolden, both are better man corners than Shaun Wade (not saying much), and Myles Bryant can’t cover anyone bigger or faster than he is which is a problem because every receiver is either bigger or faster than Bryant.

To improve, the Patriots defense needed to get faster, longer and more physical. The Patriots add a CB in the 6th and 7th rounds who have elite size, speed and ST physicality traits, and still people complain. Let see how it plays out, but I like those picks and am intrigued by how the coaches might use their physical traits to improve an already good defense to be even better.

There are only two openings, Bryant and Wade. Gonzalez takes one of those openings. I think Speed is a ST guy. Let's hope Bolden fills the final spot.

I was very vocal on the Draft thread begging for Kuntz.

Speed was a stretch to pick then. There was no stretch to Kuntz at all. It would be great to have Kuntz in training camp this year. They could have worked out Kuntz every day until he was worn out and sopping wet with sweat. But Belichick often is slow with rookies. So maybe they what have eased Kuntz in gradually until he was ready.

Either way, it would have been nice to have Kuntz.

We could always give Ameer Speed a nickname to make him more interesting. Ameer Twat Speed?
Hard to disagree with this. We should have taken him.

Baring a miraculous jump in ability (or a couple injuries) I don't see Wade making this team.

Edit: Also, i hate on Bryant like everybody else but I will say this, he is a decent tackler and despite being slow and poor in coverage he has made some plays (int's and big tackles) here and there. I still want to see someone beat him out of his roster spot because that just means the bottom of the depth chart got better.

Last edited:
"Dude's Not a CB; he's a Special olympics Teamer. Period. And a Horrible draft pick too."

That seems like a rather innocuous post, especially by my profanity-laced standards.
If you look up Fringe Special Teams Only Player in the dictionary…you will see Ameer Speed’s picture.

If you look up Fringe Special Teams Only Player in the dictionary…you will see Ameer Speed’s picture.

Agreed. But Speed has the body type to be a very special gunner and this is Slater's last year. Speed was an awful DB (barely played) at GA, and then transfered to Michigan State and was no better. But amazing on special teams at both places.

Bolden replaces Bryant I hope. Big, athletic and I hope he has instincts.

Agreed. But Speed has the body type to be a very special gunner and this is Slater's last year. Speed was an awful DB (barely played) at GA, and then transfered to Michigan State and was no better. But amazing on special teams at both places.

Bolden replaces Bryant I hope. Big, athletic and I hope he has instincts.
I don’t disagree at all about body type and athleticism. The number of them that have come and gone ….a lot.

Maybe it’s splitting hairs with Bolden…I just feel that what I read right after the draft about him…his ceiling is higher. For me it’s the same as the Boutte / Douglas debate. Is there really a big difference? IDK…I just feel that from what I read that Boutte’s potential is much higher than Douglas.

...Bolden replaces Bryant I hope. Big, athletic and I hope he has instincts.

His shuttle time says that he's fast in a straight line but useless when moving laterally, which is rather important for a CB.

He's still > Myles Away, who is not - I repeat, NOT - a good tackler either, in addition to being Garbage in coverage... Or did people not see the final game of last season?

Picking Bolden was bad enough; but the Ameer Twat pick was Inexcusably but in typical Belichickian fashion Horrible, especially because Jaylon Jones & Cory Trice, among others, were still available.

His shuttle time says that he's fast in a straight line but useless when moving laterally, which is rather important for a CB.

He's still > Myles Away, who is not - I repeat, NOT - a good tackler either, in addition to being Garbage in coverage... Or did people not see the final game of last season?

Picking Bolden was bad enough; but the Ameer Twat pick was Inexcusably but in typical Belichickian fashion Horrible, especially because Jaylon Jones & Cory Trice, among others, were still available.
I agree with the strategy of using late round picks on positions of need, just taking a low probability shot, or on a punter. Normally I would expect one of the 6th and 7th rounders to have a reasonable shot at the roster. Belichick drafted:
P Baringer
WR Boutte
WR/PR Douglas
ST Speed
CB/ST Bolden

1-5 of these will make the 53. I think that's great, even if some wanted us to draft a OT or LB who would have a much lesser chance of making the 53.

I agree with the strategy of using late round picks on positions of need, just taking a low probability shot, or on a punter. Normally I would expect one of the 6th and 7th rounders to have a reasonable shot at the roster. Belichick drafted:
P Baringer
WR Boutte
WR/PR Douglas
ST Speed
CB/ST Bolden

1-5 of these will make the 53. I think that's great, even if some wanted us to draft a OT or LB who would have a much lesser chance of making the 53.

187: WR AT Perry/Andrei Iosivas

192: TE Zach ****z

210: Douglas

214: DB Cory Trice

245: a Punter

187: WR AT Perry/Andrei Iosivas

192: TE Zach ****z

210: Douglas

214: DB Cory Trice

245: a Punter
1) You believe that Perry or Iosivas have a better chance of making the 53 over Boutte. Boutte is a long shot, but I suspect the pobability of making the 53 is higher than either player you picked, or certainly not much worse.

2) I have no reason that to believe that ****z would have any chance to make the 53 over our THREE backup TE's.

3) You think that Trice had a better shot than Bolton and Speed. I think that is because you ignore the special team value of players.
I don't think that any of these three had a chance without significant ST skills.

4) Your idea that any punter picked at 245 would be as good as Baringer is laughable.

BOTTOM LINE
We're discussing 5 low end picks.

I suspect that one your 5 would have made the 53 for the patriots.

1) You believe that Perry or Iosivas have a better chance of making the 53 over Boutte. Boutte is a long shot, but I suspect the pobability of making the 53 is higher than either player you picked, or certainly not much worse.

2) I have no reason that to believe that ****z would have any chance to make the 53 over our THREE backup TE's.

3) You think that Trice had a better shot than Bolton and Speed. I think that is because you ignore the special team value of players.
I don't think that any of these three had a chance without significant ST skills.

4) Your idea that any punter picked at 245 would be as good as Baringer is laughable.

BOTTOM LINE
We're discussing 5 low end picks.

I suspect that one your 5 would have made the 53 for the patriots.

What's truly laughable is your entire post.

Cory Trice is already out for his rookie year with what’s believed to be a torn ACL, so that seems moot now.

What's truly laughable is your entire post.
5 low end picks and
YOU have Douglas, Bolden and Speed making the 53. That's pretty good for the 6th and 7th rounds.

Would we really be better off with Trice and ****z?

Last edited:
This is so true. The kid is booming them in practice, stupid long hang times.

The rookie field goal kicker is booming them accurately as well.

Both of their draft positions look entirely warranted and smart so far.

"Draft value" assigned by media "draft experts," is a total farce.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back